Black Pine Seedling Cuttings

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am with Sifu's permission attempting to gene splice some Amazonian Indian sweat gland genes [ or rather their lack of them ]
into him.
No more Sweaty Sifu.
How does it go - yes - Marzo Marzo ......
Good Day
Anthony

* Yes, I also sweat like a horse, cold has no effect, but humidity .......................................

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am with Sifu's permission attempting to gene splice some Amazonian Indian sweat gland genes [ or rather their lack of them ]
into him.
No more Sweaty Sifu.
How does it go - yes - Marzo Marzo ......
Good Day
Anthony

* Yes, I also sweat like a horse, cold has no effect, but humidity .......................................
My wife doesn't sweat. In high school, she was a gymnast and ran track. There's a picture of her at a track meet, she won the 880. They had an Olympic style stand where the top three finishers stood for photos with their ribbons. My wife in the middle, cool as a cucumber. The other two were drenched, looked as if they had been pushed into a pool and just climbed out!

It's actually been bad for her health, long term, as her body retains toxins normally released by sweat.

Back to seedling cuttings...

I own a tree started by Jonas I'm making into a shohin that he started as a seedling cutting. It makes awesome nebari and great taper.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
OK - I planted the seedlings in April. Here are a few of them after 8 months. Of the 500 seeds I planted, I now have 75. Some didn't sprout, some didn't survive the seedling cutting stage, some died along the way and some I gave away. I'll probably end up keeping 20 or 30 of the most vigorous and give the rest away.

IMG_4683.JPG

Consider the vigor of black pine seedlings. On the plant in the center, there have been 4-5 candle extensions - that's almost 1 every 6 weeks. I think I've seen the last one of the year (of course temperatures are still getting into the 80's here, so who knows). The next stage is to wire some movement into the trunk and plant them in larger containers.

Scott

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The fertilizer, by the way, is OOF (Odorless Organic Fertilizer). I switched to it during this growing season and I love it. It's worked for me as advertised - Dogs leave it alone. Squirrels leave it alone. Birds leave it alone. Scott has regained a small measure of sanity. Worth every penny.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
In the references I posted up front, there is some really excellent information. Study this post in Eric Schrader's thread. It contains fantastically clear instructions on how to create exposed root trees - I'll follow these instructions with some of them.

Scott

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The fertilizer, by the way, is OOF (Odorless Organic Fertilizer). I switched to it during this growing season and I love it. It's worked for me as advertised - Dogs leave it alone. Squirrels leave it alone. Birds leave it alone. Scott has regained a small measure of sanity. Worth every penny.

Scott
Hi Scott,

Can you let me know what rooting hormone you use for those cuttings?

Kind Regards,

Jun

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Scott, I bought a lot of OOF from Jonas. How long do you think the balls are effective, and needs to be replaced?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Scott, I bought a lot of OOF from Jonas. How long do you think the balls are effective, and needs to be replaced?

Hi Adair. I haven't replaced them yet, but I'd imagine they'll be good for a few months. I'd say that, at a minimum, I'd replace them in spring and fall. Did you get the larger pellets or the small ones?

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi Scott,

Thank you, do you have a photo of the bottle? what is the HBA concentration in this mix?

Kind Regards,

Jun

Hi Jun. Here's a picture, but the label's in very poor condition:
IMG_4684.JPG

I can't read it well enough to read the concentration, but it was just standard box store stuff. Nothing special at all.

Scott

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
what is the HBA concentration in this mix?
I can't read it well enough to read the concentration, but it was just standard box store stuff.
RooTone is 2000ppm NAA which is roughly equivalent to 3000ppm IBA (Hormex) = standard stuff.

I buy IBA powder on line, directly from hormex.com; I buy RooTone at Home Depot - just as a matter of convenience.

Reaction score
First time i read this thread. Nice to follow. What will be the next step? Will you wire or will you cut back to the lowest bud?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
First time i read this thread. Nice to follow. What will be the next step? Will you wire or will you cut back to the lowest bud?

Hi Dirk. Wiring and repotting next, but no cutback yet. I'll post some pictures when I'd do this in early spring. I'll try and direct a few each toward some different styles. In the meantime I'll continue to study carefully how others have done this. I know that I'd like to direct a few toward exposed root style the way Eric did in his thread. It's a fun, inexpensive project.

Scott

Reaction score
Hi Dirk. Wiring and repotting next, but no cutback yet. I'll post some pictures when I'd do this in early spring. I'll try and direct a few each toward some different styles. In the meantime I'll continue to study carefully how others have done this. I know that I'd like to direct a few toward exposed root style the way Eric did in his thread. It's a fun, inexpensive project.

Scott
Yep, fun it is. Will you repot and wire at same time? Worked fine with juniper for me but haven't done it with pines yet. I have a 2y old batch waiting for some fun...

Top Bottom