Bonsai Stick Figures with special guest Rick Martin

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stop trying to change the subject first of all. I said it is difficult to make a tree out of young and small trees. In this case rooted cuttings. Not one time did I disagree with your lesson and I still don’t. I already did my up-and-comings decades ago. The line thing I do in my head, first thing I do is check the bones and see what there is. I want to see Rick apply the lines to his little junipers and admire the improvements.

The SUBJECT is trees, and how to improve them. If you have something to add to this thread or pictures of your work to show us some validation of your mouth, I'm open. Please take the opportunity and post them up here for us to see. Rick Posted his. I post mine.

Post 18 Nov. 2016
Well if your goal was to run me off. It worked. I am officially done here. If you wanted to teach me something you could have done it without my name in the title.

I don't think he's coming back.

Calling me a big mouth is totally uncalled for, totally. I don’t even know what you’re mad at. Wow. I gave complement to your trees, not that it has anything to do with the question I asked at all which wasn’t even addressed to you in the first place or about your trees. You’re mad because I think making good trees out of small stuff is difficult? Hey guess what, I think Bonsai as a whole is super duper difficult.
This is my thread. I started it. I feel every post here is addressed to me. Not hard to understand...right? And...I'm not mad at all. Just disappointed at youth today. If your not a youth, then your acting like one. Have a little more respect for people older than you and obviously more talented.

Biting peoples heads off for asking a question is very unprofessional. You seriously do need to chill out. I left this formun and all the others about 10 years ago and now already I’m so so sorry I ever came back. I didn’t attack you in anyway so take that ego out for a breather and have a reality check.

Wow I apoligise I had no idea you were such a long time bonsai doer. After ten years you should have some pretty great stuff. I know for the few I have that are ten years old they have come a long ways. Most of my trees are way less than ten years. Most about 7 to 8. I would love to see some of your older ten year old trees.

Last edited:

WesB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I started the first time in 94-98, 2cd time 2000-2009. I just kinda lost interest when Granpz left us. Now I’m back for a 3rd since our friend Dale passed. I’m up to a dozen trees now with some shimpaku and black pine coming in the mail. Yay!

Apology not needed at all but accepted with grace.

WesB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Or my mouth..

Dude you need to get off the fucking cocaine!

WesB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Literally I said it’s hard to do trees and asked if he did the fucking changes and wow Bonzai Al Cocaine Kepler is having a fucking hysterical break down. LMAO! What a turkey!

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This thread..... I feel like every newb should read every damn page. I know it's been edutainment for me, at least.
Lol. This is the first time I caught this thread and it's just....:oops:

Honestly, in spite of everything that happened after the title, I have to give @Smoke a very big thank you for the material contained in the OP. He provided a very meaty lesson on quickly learning to assess the shapes. Thanks @Smoke, this is wonderful information for a beginner.

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Absolutely. @Smoke, I know you don’t know me, but don’t ever change, man.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Hah! Cheque’s in the post.

Terrible thread, awesome OP. Thanks.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
I'm Baaaccckkk...This is my latest, an attempt at a Windswept Boxwood on a Mountain Top, it started out with a straight trunk until it grew above the Rock(Left of the Boxwood) then fell victim to Extreamly Windy conditions....I'm looking for Opinions, Good or Bad opinions, I have about 8 hours across 5 days in Styling this Shohin Bonsai, Pruning, Wiring, Styling, Rock placement, Ground cover, Stick Sketching for direction......I plan to Repot in the Spring, any suggestions ???
PB208501.JPGPB208500.JPGPB208499.JPGPB208497.JPG

This is what it looked like when I bought it....

s-l1600[1].jpg

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'm Baaaccckkk...This is my latest, an attempt at a Windswept Boxwood on a Mountain Top, it started out with a straight trunk until it grew above the Rock(Left of the Boxwood) then fell victim to Extreamly Windy conditions....I'm looking for Opinions, Good or Bad opinions, I have about 8 hours across 5 days in Styling this Shohin Bonsai, Pruning, Wiring, Styling, Rock placement, Ground cover, Stick Sketching for direction......I plan to Repot in the Spring, any suggestions ???
View attachment 271849View attachment 271850View attachment 271851View attachment 271852
I think your idea is fine as is the concept. I think that the composition would work better in a round pot and give the evidence that the tree is clinging to the side of the world as it were. I have mentioned it before and I don't mean to be condescending but looking at your wiring I would say it is for the most part ineffectual. There is a site on Craftsy that is free and incredibly useful, all you have to do is sign up for it; it will change your bonsai life and make your efforts doable. You have some wonderful ideas but not the where with all to carry them forward.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks Vance, appreciated.....When I do wiring it allows me to move the branch into a position that I am looking for and I generally leave it for a year or full Bonsai year, what else should I be trying to achieve ??? I will investigate the website you recommend,,,....
Chuck AKA Bolero

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
OK Vance...... I visited the Site and see that it is very useful and I will be using it, thanks for the Heads Up.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Vance, appreciated.....When I do wiring it allows me to move the branch into a position that I am looking for and I generally leave it for a year or full Bonsai year, what else should I be trying to achieve ??? I will investigate the website you recommend,,,....
Chuck AKA Bolero
Al says to treat old people with respect.
I find it awful hard to do that with the ones that refuse to listen.
So unrespectfully I submit this.
Something every bonsai hobbiest would learn the first time wiring boxwood,azalea,maple(which you have. Never wired it huh?) or just about anything that isn't a conifer.
You can try to bend that boxwood if you like.
You won't achieve much.
Maybe a deadwood feature.

Look up clip and grow and baby bending here on this site.
It's here,just look.
I would tell you the name of the member who posted this information but the whistleblower will remain nameless.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where’s Rick!
Al ran him off with his" I'm the best and don't ever forget it "attitude.
He does that.

I talk to Rick occasionally.
He still has trees.
Thinks Al is too big for his britches.
I concur.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Mike I always take everything you say with "a Grain of Salt" Unrespectfully as you say ???
Wiring the Boxwood has been a real experience but accomplished.
Are you still losing weight or back to Sumo size ???Is Al Smoke ???

Here is a picture of one of my Role Models, you could be another...
Alcohol_2[1].jpg

Being a Gun Guy here is one you might like...Sig "We the People"

P8017877.JPG

Whenever i see this i think of you Mike...
aliens[1].jpg

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is still a bonsai site no matter how much one tries to turn it into a bitching site. Anyone here can post their trees anytime they wish. Please post them, I for one wish to see them. I wish to see the time spent on bitching and if it matches the time spent on making a tree......

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have reread this whole thread. Just because some have said it could be educational. Many have been complimentary, and many have actually been hostile. What I was able to figure out during the mash up is that the ones that seem so hostile and want me to shut up are the ones that will never post a picture of their work. Why is that? I have two theories...

1. Based on some clues that WesB said I think I know who he is. He has dogged me for a number of years here after we had a falling out in around 2011. He has had about seven accounts that I know of. It was a political falling out, much like the problem with Frary. Just think, Frary is going to hate me for five more years!!

2. "Some" don't want me to see their trees because I have either seen them in person or they just don't have anything worth posting, and hide behind the screen name.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have two theories
Or maybe we're not playing your games.
I've posted most of my work.
And neither do I hide behind a screen name.
Smoke or Banana man or whatever pseudonym you're going by these days.
You tend to discourage newcomers.
You like to think you have better trees than the rest of us.
Why ever would anyone come to you for advice anymore.
Your time is past.
You used to be the "the guy".

Top Bottom