Carpinus material

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Good post, thanks. But seriously, that hole in the top of the rose head on the can... that’d bug the ever living Crap out of me! You don’t wanna stick some tape over it or something? Lol.

are you jealous of my twin nozzle double the trouble hawes super soaker mate:D
haha ive been thinking about just replacing the the nozzle but a bit of gorilla tape might just do the trick and save me about £4 quid:D

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good post, thanks. But seriously, that hole in the top of the rose head on the can... that’d bug the ever living Crap out of me! You don’t wanna stick some tape over it or something? Lol.
you noticed too lol
what about free showers below bobby's balcony 😂

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
you noticed too lol
:D

haha funny you say that, because earlier as i was watering. i heard some noise and shuffling around in the bushes below. when i looked down there was a starling bird getting a free bird bath:D

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just wondering... as your material is coming from hedges... do you hedge prune for ramification ? :D

oops i only just seen this post!
its not coming from hedges directly as you say, but a lot of it is material commonly used for hedging in the UK in regards to species like yew, beech, hornbeam, hawthorn and privet.
i wouldnt say that i hedge prune, i dont really let my trees extend as long and as often as Walter pall does in his garden, i dont have the space. my trees are kept on a balcony. but ive reduced my collection massively in the last few months so i have a little more space to let some of my favourite trees really expand a little. if i had the space i would utilize these methods more often. there is no set method for training/developing deciduous trees and there is no secret formula. but its true that some methods yield results faster but you still need to be consistent. i do variations of a bit of everything.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
are you jealous of my twin nozzle double the trouble hawes super soaker mate:D
haha ive been thinking about just replacing the the nozzle but a bit of gorilla tape might just do the trick and save me about £4 quid:D

Im looking to get a bigger watering can.. the 4-5 trips for 1 watering+ chemical fert is just so much extra time.
I tried hard to get a good hose fitting that lets out a nice stream, made a thread about it, using the same host head I see in videos at places like mirai! But, alas, I fail... I think my water pressure is not good enough.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Im looking to get a bigger watering can.. the 4-5 trips for 1 watering+ chemical fert is just so much extra time.
I tried hard to get a good hose fitting that lets out a nice stream, made a thread about it, using the same host head I see in videos at places like mirai! But, alas, I fail... I think my water pressure is not good enough.
have you seen my self made water wand?
I am convinced it wil work even on low pressure as wel its perfect for misting search the forums for it its somewere on the site, as well ive been plumber for 13 years there are easy fixes to increase the pressure without spending much more then the costs of a decent watering tool....

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
this is one of the others from the haul, much smaller.
there is an option to chop the shari trunk off and create a nice tapering trunk.
either way, there is a decent base and plenty of root pad to develop the tree fairly quickly. its budding out everywhere

posted this earlier. starting to take on some shape, will be for sale soon
goin to be a great little Hornbeam
20200611_173007.jpg

Attachments

• 20200611_172954.jpg
    20200611_172954.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200611_172840.jpg
    20200611_172840.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 9

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This one cost me £5
im sure somebody could do something with this.
it was a lot taller before, just needs to fill out.
most of the trees in this thread have been sold.
was fun working and learning on them..
20200611_173513.jpg

Attachments

• 20200611_173553.jpg
    20200611_173553.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 12

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
another haul of hornbeam....this crate has been growing together a few years and the roots had escaped into the ground...
one of the workers had to hack it free with a spade.

after that i went in with my saw and tamed the root ball, separated the trees for easy transportation

all of these have good nebari and decent movement.

what happened to the bigger one from this haul?

10 months on, its been root pruned and repotted into a bonsai pot then slipped into another bigger pot. left to grow, wired, left to grow, clipped back and the main trunk has been deeply hollowed out, we can have a better look in winter

Today
20200820_115338.jpg20200820_115404.jpg20200820_115429.jpg20200820_115450.jpg

there isnt much taper in the main trunk and this tree is extremely vigorous up top to the detriment of a few of the low branches on the right,
but ive been constantly trimming shoots in the crown.
the hollow top will prevent this area from thickening up even more or at least slow it down. im thinking of creating a split that opens the back of the hollow up. a
shallower pot will help the base to widen in the process, gradually.

ive already started a small split here,
20200820_121805.jpg

Attachments

• 20200820_115417.jpg
    20200820_115417.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200820_115439.jpg
    20200820_115439.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200820_115459.jpg
    20200820_115459.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Hi mate, I just saw this. My setup is only a 12v pump out of the river with a pretty low flow rate, but I bought a cheap watering lance from toolstation, of all places, which does the job perfectly well.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
the branch thickening from start of the season to today, is quite significant, part of the reason for this rapid thickening is all the root pressure from the nursery root ball...
note the apical branch and the two other branches on the left
20200905_123612.jpg

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
the branch thickening from start of the season to today, is quite significant, part of the reason for this rapid thickening is all the root pressure from the nursery root ball...
note the apical branch and the two other branches on the left
View attachment 327111
I suppose it helps concentrating the growth on a small number of branches, or does this not normally matter? If you had 15 branches, for example, would they all have thickened to the same degree do you think?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
it does help when you focus on just your keepers yeh, this one had a few extra branches that i only removed yest.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
this one was transferred into a training tub. its going to be moved on but i want to keep the oval pot...
think it looks better with the roots planted deeper too.
little bit more deadwood work to add further interestView attachment 258777View attachment 258779

i managed to get an update on a tree i worked on a few months ago,the owner has since gotten the tree into a much smaller pot and it seems to be thriving
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice tree. Not sure about the pot though! Very deep, very round pot.... I think its the depth of the pot thats putting me off.
Tree looking good though

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
if anyone is looking to own a Carp orientalis for a reasonable price, i think this represents good value and a solid buy

would of bought it myself a while ago

p1150466.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
if anyone is looking to own a Carp orientalis for a reasonable price, i think this represents good value and a solid buy

would of bought it myself a while ago

Always good stuff. I find this one a little on the overpriced side, considering the larger chops, and the need to make at least one more. But aged piece. Thx for sharing. Glad my yard is full or I might be tempted

Top Bottom