Chuhin Broom Elm

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
B w/ C a close second. B gives a non-traditional/informal broom w/ a main trunk running roots-to-apex. I'm a sucker for those when they're well-done.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I prefer the overall structure of #3, recognizing that a couple of areas require reworking areas that have had thicker portions removed. As they improve the structure will improve.
Key factor is the appearance of nebari and trunk as it flows into the branching. A spot for improvement is the stub/scar base of the larger branch on the right in my view!
Important to recognize that it is a luxury to have positive options for 360 design, perhaps more indicative of thoughtful development. Well done.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I was kind of leaning toward C, myself, but it has the disadvantage of seeing the cut and it places the largest trunk in the back of the tree.

- S

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Scott, with the cold front hitting yesterday, are you keeping the repotted trees in a greenhouse? I have been keeping a close eye on my trees and I think I will be repotting some this weekend but I don't have a greenhouse and the coldest my garage get's is around 60's overnight but once the sun comes out it goes up to mid 70's as it faces south.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Potted in a nice oval Yamaki with an olive-blue glaze using the B front. What do you think?
View attachment 353896
I like your second as-potted front B (above) better than the front B listed as such listed in post 191. Are you growing the root grafts as cuttings? The pot seems appropriate for the tree but maybe a little large for a show pot. (I doubt you're planning on showing with the root grafts like they are, and the added volume might accommodate those root grafts a little better than a show pot.)

What's with the twists of wire around the main branches/subtrunks?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Scott, with the cold front hitting yesterday, are you keeping the repotted trees in a greenhouse? I have been keeping a close eye on my trees and I think I will be repotting some this weekend but I don't have a greenhouse and the coldest my garage get's is around 60's overnight but once the sun comes out it goes up to mid 70's as it faces south.
For me, anything that:
1) is not a cold-hardy species
2) I’ve recently worked on
3) is showing signs of growth, or
4) I’m not sure about

will go in the garage. What’s left will go under the bench and get covered by shade cloth.

- S

Top Bottom