Collected Hawthorn History

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Sorry I dont know if its been discussed in the past its a big post, but you dont let it flower? or the tree doesnt flower because I dont remenber seen a photo of the tree with flowers

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Do you need the back-trunk?
Yes.

Sorry I dont know if its been discussed in the past its a big post, but you dont let it flower? or the tree doesnt flower because I dont remenber seen a photo of the tree with flowers
It was in flower when I collected it, but hasn’t flowered since.

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
So I have a chance to collect a little hip a bit larger than this 1. Got a couple questions
1)Was the V cut by choice for style or necessary for taper?
2)would I need to do a V cut in order to style the little hip in a similar style as yours? Or can this style be achieved but not cutting the V?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
So I have a chance to collect a little hip a bit larger than this 1. Got a couple questions
1)Was the V cut by choice for style or necessary for taper?
2)would I need to do a V cut in order to style the little hip in a similar style as yours? Or can this style be achieved but not cutting the V?
I cut it flat, and it rotted away to somewhat of a V with just a little added carving. You could achieve a similar style, but the challenge would be to grow branches big enough to create convincing taper. They thicken up very slowly.

Tbrshou

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a/
I cut it flat, and it rotted away to somewhat of a V with just a little added carving. You could achieve a similar style, but the challenge would be to grow branches big enough to create convincing taper. They thicken up very slowly.
Ok got it thanks

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
@Brian Van Fleet any consideration of the circular form created by the 2 front trunks? Ryan Neil always mentions avoiding “circular forms” in trunks and branches and my eye keeps being drawn to the middle of your tree. Have you noticed it before?

Beautiful tree either way 👏🏻

0BF09E1B-A030-4C22-9462-B274B8EA92BB.jpeg

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
@Brian Van Fleet any consideration of the circular form created by the 2 front trunks? Ryan Neil always mentions avoiding “circular forms” in trunks and branches and my eye keeps being drawn to the middle of your tree. Have you noticed it before?

Beautiful tree either way 👏🏻
I don’t follow Ryan, but it makes sense from a design perspective. The circular area is caused by a guy-wire that serves two purposes:
1. It anchors a thread-graft shown by the green line. It has been in place for several years and has not thickened enough to separate.
2. It’s pulling the left side more vertical, but I’m over-correcting to ensure it ends up in the correct position. When finished, it should not cross in front of the rear trunk, but relax a bit to the left.
1321A418-6F48-427F-88EC-54F92EC65235.jpeg

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
I don’t follow Ryan, but it makes sense from a design perspective. The circular area is caused by a guy-wire that serves two purposes:
1. It anchors a thread-graft shown by the green line. It has been in place for several years and has not thickened enough to separate.
2. It’s pulling the left side more vertical, but I’m over-correcting to ensure it ends up in the correct position. When finished, it should not cross in front of the rear trunk, but relax a bit to the left.
View attachment 412641
Thanks for the reply @Brian Van Fleet
Like I said amazing tree, thanks for the insight into the actions that have created it 👍🏻

Top Bottom