Cost of Pots In The UK.

Mitty

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have been growing Bonsai trees since 1971. For years I have bought pots of all kinds , and plastic starter pots.
However the price of ceramic and Mica pots has shot up. I can`t help but come to the conclusion that the "mystique " of Bonsai has hit the fan in a big way. There are pots of all kinds and there are so many "hand made bonsai pots " which look awful and I am sure are thrown together by idiots and con-men using the word Bonsai as a magnet to induce poor customers of their hard earned money. There are some beautiful dishes available at a stiff price , but ones that look like someone has sat on then (probably have ) at ridiculous prices.
Surely there must be a small company making fair priced pots !!!!!!!!

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have been growing Bonsai trees since 1971. For years I have bought pots of all kinds , and plastic starter pots.
However the price of ceramic and Mica pots has shot up. I can`t help but come to the conclusion that the "mystique " of Bonsai has hit the fan in a big way. There are pots of all kinds and there are so many "hand made bonsai pots " which look awful and I am sure are thrown together by idiots and con-men using the word Bonsai as a magnet to induce poor customers of their hard earned money. There are some beautiful dishes available at a stiff price , but ones that look like someone has sat on then (probably have ) at ridiculous prices.
Surely there must be a small company making fair priced pots !!!!!!!!

Watching intently on this one Mitty.. I'm yet to find the answer...

Reaction score

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Off topic...you've been doing bonsai for as long as I've been born...no offense intended...mind sharing one of your older trees? I find it intriguing that you have done it as long as I've been born. Though, I know others who have done it many years as you. Just reading the year...really clicked in my mind.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here:
https://www.e-bonsai.com/en/bowls-and-tray-of-water/?&force_sid=fdcf726f2162948ed3bd7d893b50114d

Don't leave it too long, what with the arse falling out of the pound on a daily basis.

Discovering eastern markets?;) BC Libcany is one of my favorite places for b. shopping, pots, starters...
Well, the ceramic pots are hand made and not mass produced. They make their own pots and sell products of different czech potters. Decent quality products, maybe not show ready or with added exclusivity or luxury, but good enough for grow purposes and private collections.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As usual, just make them for yourself.
You get what you want and the cost is low.
AND yes, we source and clean our own clay, fire etc.
Cheapo folk.
Good Day
Anthony

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Do you know the quality of those pots?
Priced like that there has got to be an adder under the grass... but where?
They're made in the Czech Republic. Average wages there are 2/5 of the UK.

I've got a LOT of them - because a Czech bonsai shop comes to Noelanders every year and I spend at least €100 on them, even though I don't really ever need to buy another pot in my life...according to my wife.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just a few of my Erin Pottery pots...very talented man...very affordable prices. Buy 5 pots...get free shipping. :cool: I have more...but these are an example of his work. I will go so far as...share a link as well. http://ssdrsserver1.hosting.co.uk/~erinbons/catalogue/

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Buy 5 pots...get free shipping. :cool:

Really?
Wish I had known that, shipping was a bit pricey but then again one of the pots I got was quite big.

Here are my two...

I have seen some new ones of his with glazes I love, just hope they will still be available when I want one.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Really?
Wish I had known that, shipping was a bit pricey but then again one of the pots I got was quite big.

Here are my two...

I have seen some new ones of his with glazes I love, just hope they will still be available when I want one.
Those are gorgeous! Yes...he will stockpile pots. I had 13 shipped last batch. Free shipping. But much smaller pots than yours for sure. I do Shohin and Kifu size for the most part.

Top Bottom