Cutting Pine Needles

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
That is correct, if this technique is used it is done right before the show. If you are really concerned about the aesthetic you should delve into the techniques of needle reduction on Black Pines, that way you can have really nice Black Pines with really nice short needles, Yes there are ways to do this.
If you have tips, it would be great to post them here ;)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello Friends, I was wondering why no-one ever suggests cutting the pine needles half way through to make the needle size shorter and in a desired proportion. If one can cut branches and roots, why not leaf, particularly the Pines which are just plain easy to trim.

Aside from the aesthetics, when you are cutting needles you are weakening the tree without creating ramification, short internode length, and naturally occurring short needles - which is what the end goal in developing black pine bonsai is all about. You are giving your bonsai a short-term change in appearance without changing the development of the tree.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sometimes a highly refined tree will backbud, and the you have let them grow out. So, they will make long needles. If the tree is going to be shown, the morning of the show, you can cut the needles and the tips won’t brown until after the show. Especially if you mist them. Use very sharp scissors. Also, you can cut them at an angle, to put a pointed end on them. Another tip is to cut them a little shorter than the uncut needles, so they can hide in the shadow of the uncut needles.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Sometimes a highly refined tree will backbud, and the you have let them grow out. So, they will make long needles. If the tree is going to be shown, the morning of the show, you can cut the needles and the tips won’t brown until after the show. Especially if you mist them. Use very sharp scissors. Also, you can cut them at an angle, to put a pointed end on them. Another tip is to cut them a little shorter than the uncut needles, so they can hide in the shadow of the uncut needles.
Thanks for the tips :)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Believe it or not, i knew that i would have no answer :eek:
???

To get short needles, decandle the JBP in mid summer.

Whether or not you should be doing this technique is worthy of a separate thread.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
???

Whether or not you should be doing this technique is worthy of a separate thread.
This is a separate thread. It’s title is “ cutting pine needles” how separate can one get?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is a separate thread. It’s title is “ cutting pine needles” how separate can one get?

I think @Adair M was referring to "whether or not you should be decandling your black and red pines". You don't automatically want to do it - it depends on the strength and maturity of the tree, and how far you are in your design.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
???

I think @Adair M was referring to "whether or not you should be decandling your black and red pines". You don't automatically want to do it - it depends on the strength and maturity of the tree, and how far you are in your design.
You are correct. My apoligies.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I cut pine needles all the time. But not to show the tree with even needles, more to retrain vigour to individual shoots when training the tree. I find it better than pulling off too many needles trying to achieve the same thing.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Ok, but this simple pic show that Japanese profesionnals sometimes do it, the same in Urushibata's garden. I was surprised by the answers on this topic, like if the question was stupid or insane, so I wanted to show that it isn't so stupid (or impossibble) to cut red/black pine needles, it is done by Japanese masters, on shohin to balance the tree, and sometimes during expositions.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
on n'apprend pas à un âne à boire. et c'est celui qui le dit qui y'est !

enfin, qui vivra verra après tout...

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
on n'apprend pas à un âne à boire. et c'est celui qui le dit qui y'est !

enfin, qui vivra verra après tout...
En anglais pour tous les autres:
“You don't teach a donkey to drink. And it's the one who says it is!

Finally, who will live will see after all..”

Must be lost in translation. Regardless, I have no further need to discuss cutting needles with you. I don’t do it.
Au revior.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
au revoir alors.

black pine before, in urushibata' s place :
p1000188.jpg

black pine after :
p1000188-1.jpg

detail : some needles have been cut the year before :
p1000090.jpg

Last edited: