Escambron - totally underutilized native tropical

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I just picked up a little one... Any suggestions for care are appreciated! How about propagation? Any pointers?

Hi MH. I’ve never tried propagating them. I don’t imagine it would be difficult. They grow like weeds and sucker prolifically. Make sure to keep the suckering shoots under control or the main branches your trying to develop get weak. They don’t like cold and don’t like to be droughted. In the winter they’ll yellow a bit in the greenhouse, but will green up right away out of doors.

2FEE0A77-CA50-4DF6-A06E-9F239DB118E5.jpeg

Mine is just about at the point in needs intervention. Once the branch structure is in place, pinching will produce a finely ramified twiggy outer canopy with really tiny leaves. They need to be pinched back regularly to get there, but only after the main branch structure has been developed.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here’s some additional information about the species:

It’s scientific name is Clerodendrum aculeatum. It is known as Escambron in Puerto Rico, but other names around its range. It is found in almost all the islands of the Carribean plus Venezuela, Guyana, Ecuador, Hawaii, Mexico, Nicaragua and some countries in Africa.

Normally they’re multi-trunk - it’s difficult to find a single trunk tree that looks good.

It has a woody trunk with thick wrinkled bark and the wood in the center is quite hard. However, the wood is fibrosis and will rot easily if you don’t treat it. It’s leaves are elliptical and opposite. They’re approximately 1” long and there is a small thorn at the base of each petiole. It produces small white flowers with five petals and about 4 purple stamens.

It tolerates drastic pruning and can readily handle root reduction during repotting. Repot in the late spring early summer when night time lows are above 60 degrees.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Awesome! I am super excited to get it. Normally when I buy stuff like this it is for the purpose of propagating and eventually selling so maybe if all goes well we can get some more of these out to the community.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Awesome! I am super excited to get it. Normally when I buy stuff like this it is for the purpose of propagating and eventually selling so maybe if all goes well we can get some more of these out to the community.

If you’re looking for a nice one, I’d contact Pedro.

- S

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got zonked and defoliated, now feeding the pest, a systemic.
Will send an image if I can.
Next step will be a hand made, very shallow pot.
Good Day
Anthony

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
@markyscott If you don't mind me asking, how did it do over the winter in the greenhouse? You said it yellowed a bit. I know you don't have winter like I have winter, so it probably was outside much more than it was in the greenhouse. I have a small one and have been contemplating getting a larger one. But, seeing as all the trops will have to come inside within a month, maybe I should wait until spring.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
@markyscott If you don't mind me asking, how did it do over the winter in the greenhouse? You said it yellowed a bit. I know you don't have winter like I have winter, so it probably was outside much more than it was in the greenhouse. I have a small one and have been contemplating getting a larger one. But, seeing as all the trops will have to come inside within a month, maybe I should wait until spring.

I think it would do fine as long as you can give it enough light and keep the min temps above 40 or so.

S

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I think it would do fine as long as you can give it enough light and keep the min temps above 40 or so.

S
It would have to come inside. But I do have a good southern exposure, as well as grow lights.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It would have to come inside. But I do have a good southern exposure, as well as grow lights.

When I’m trying something new, I usually get something inexpensive to just see how it does. If it’s doing fine after a couple of years, I feel more comfortable splurging on something nicer.

S

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
When I’m trying something new, I usually get something inexpensive to just see how it does. If it’s doing fine after a couple of years, I feel more comfortable splurging on something nicer.

S
Very sound advice. Wigert's actually has some pretty decent pre-bonsai available for $25. I was very pleased with the Parrot's Beak I got from them at that price. I've been staying off of Amazon so I can get trees instead.;) I apologize for derailing your thread. But thanks for your replies.

JuniperSol

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I recently got an Escambron and I am surprised these aren't more popular. I absolutely love mine (I have two now) which also came from Puerto Rico.

Attachments

• escambron - bnut.png
    escambron - bnut.png
    427.4 KB · Views: 39

Benjofen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Have one arriving this week, look forward to trying out this species! Hear they grow so fast you shouldn't stand too close to them

Top Bottom