Ezo Spruce

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Finally Brian! ;-) I've been waiting for you to post this trees development! Great tree and styling, it's going to be a gorgeous formal upright when grown out, very nicely done Brian!

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
That is a nice progression. Looking forward towards watching this tree mature.

Jeff

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Vance, no attempt at cuttings yet, but maybe this year.

Chris...funny...

Dave, so far so good down here. It was shaded a bit most of this year just to be sure, but I'll be trying to give it more sun this year and just keep an eye on things if it gets too hot.

Not 100% happy with where it is, but it is early...

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow, that went very well in such short time! Excellent work (as usual)!

I really like it. :)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
When I first got into bonsai the old gentleman that gave me a hand up in learning the basics told me that Ezzos have a problem with wiring. I will share this with you to watch out for this though I question its validity. He was told that you must be careful with wiring and be certain where you plan to place your branches. Attempts to wire one direction and move the branch in another direction can fracture the cambium layer and kill the branch. You might want to watch and note any branches you have moved one way and then another and see how those branches recover.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
great spruce!

Brian,

Super tree and your work is great as usual.

Is this Picea Jezoensis Hondoensis? I didn't know a tree like this would thrive in the south.

Is it easy to grow? Can you offer care/culture tips?

I would like a nice spruce and live in zone 7A in central Maryland, pretty humid here close to the Chesapeake Bay. Which is the tougher more vigorous plant, the Picea Jezo Hondo or Picea Orientalis? (I can get either from Brent.) Which species is hardier and would have the best chance of survival?

I enjoy your posts and the information that you share with us. Am very grateful to you and others like you for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Best regards,

Augustine
Central MD - zone 7A

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Brian, looking really great. I was wondering how this one turned out. Excellent job :D

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brian,

Super tree and your work is great as usual.

Is this Picea Jezoensis Hondoensis? I didn't know a tree like this would thrive in the south.

I would like a nice spruce and live in zone 7A in central Maryland, pretty humid here close to the Chesapeake Bay. Which is the tougher more vigorous plant, the Picea Jezo Hondo or Picea Orientalis? (I can get either from Brent.) Which species is hardier and would have the best chance of survival?

I enjoy your posts and the information that you share with us. Am very grateful to you and others like you for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Best regards,

Augustine
Central MD - zone 7A

Augustine, if you're looking for a spruce, I bought a collected Engelmann Spruce from Nature's Way last spring, which survived the summer here just fine (I put it in a shadier spot in my yard in the summer). I know some people in the Virginia Beach area who are also growing them without any issues. Just thought I'd pass it along.

Engelmann are very nice trees, with very small needles and lots of backbudding. I ended up picking up a second from NW back in the fall :rolleyes:

Last edited:

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
MC,

Good Good, I plan to attend the MABA show on the weekend of April 19 and will be able to talk with Mr. Jim Doyle. The Engelmann will be swell too and I know he has stellar stock.

Thanks for the info.

Best regards

Augustine

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
augustine said:

It is a jezoensis, but not sure if its hondoensis as well, Brent just sold it to me as P. jezoensis.

He did have an Orientalis that he said was a nicer tree, and may do better in this heat, but I wanted an ezo (actually, really wanted a Sachalin/Ghlenni...but they are much colder zone trees and even harder to find).

I have had this through 2 full summers, and treat it about like white pine, full sun until it gets hot, then protected from afternoon sun, and misted more often than watered. I beat up the roots pretty bad last spring, so this year will be (hopefully) more indicative of how it will do here.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It is a jezoensis, but not sure if its hondoensis as well, Brent just sold it to me as P. jezoensis.

He did have an Orientalis that he said was a nicer tree, and may do better in this heat, but I wanted an ezo (actually, really wanted a Sachalin/Ghlenni...but they are much colder zone trees and even harder to find).

I have had this through 2 full summers, and treat it about like white pine, full sun until it gets hot, then protected from afternoon sun, and misted more often than watered. I beat up the roots pretty bad last spring, so this year will be (hopefully) more indicative of how it will do here.

I agree about the Sachalin Spruce, I have been tempted to grow some from seed----if I can locate a "Legal" source.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Brian,

Thanks for the response. About the Sakhalin, even Brent wrote that it was a difficult plant (for him) so I think you made a wise decision. They are, however, sweet with the small finer needles and the great tradition. Not to worry your jezoensis is also top shelf.

Haven't decided on which spruce but either way going to buy myself a Christmas present!

Best and thanks to all,

Augustine

Central, MD zone 7A

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for this thread. Progression threads like this are very helpful. Awesome tree.

Brent

Mame
Reaction score
Brian

It is Picea jezoensis species, not var hondoensis. I grew out several of these in the early days. I don't even know if the seed if available anymore.

Brent
EvergreenGardenworks.com

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
How long have you guys in the mid-atlantic had the engelmanns?

Could Brent chime in about the better plant between jezoensis hondoensis and orientalis for my mid-atlantic area, Central, MD close to the Chesapeake in zone 7A? (I am asking about these specifically because they are offered in you catalog.)

Best,

Augustine

Top Bottom