Pat4

Seedling
Reaction score
Reaction score
hi folks :)
In the past I've pickled umeboshi using fruit from my friend's tree.
She's getting on in years so I wanted to start my own tree.
I processed these fruits, leaving them in the fridge for ~4 months.
About August I took them out and put them in peat moss (I know not the best for mold but it's what I had).
They didn't do much for awhile, but then they started to look like this:

IMG_6322.jpg
IMG_6323.jpg

like they started to germinate and...stopped?

How can I get them growing again? The flesh seems soft-ish still.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If anyone has some nice starts of Prunus that they want to sell, please PM me. Thanks

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Does mine look like its going to flower?? This is my first year with this very young sapling.View attachment 465421View attachment 465422
Yes, those are flower buds. The flower buds are usually on the sides, while the leaf bud will emerge between them. Sometimes there's three flower buds. The leaf bud will still emerge behind the middle flower bud. I just took these pics for a visual.

20221210_154202.jpg20221210_154238.jpg20221210_154806.jpg

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, those are flower buds. The flower buds are usually on the sides, while the leaf bud will emerge between them. Sometimes there's three flower buds. The leaf bud will still emerge behind the middle flower bud. I just took these pics for a visual.

View attachment 465438View attachment 465439View attachment 465440
Woohoo! Can’t wait! Do you think it needs sunlight? I have it in my window well for winter protection. It gets little light down there but none of my plants seem to mind in their winter dormancy.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Woohoo! Can’t wait! Do you think it needs sunlight? I have it in my window well for winter protection. It gets little light down there but none of my plants seem to mind in their winter dormancy.
There's no leaves so I wouldn't worry to much about light. Keep in mind you keeping it inside may wake it up early. Once the leaf buds emerge its to late. If you take it back out side you could have issues with the cold shocking the leaf buds. Mume are pretty cold hardy. I leave mine outside all year round with no issues.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
For those propagating cuttings by following the method in this thread (cutting in late fall, leaving in a humid bag in the fridge until Jan / Feb, etc.), do you remove the buds that are developing while the cuttings are in the fridge?

Reaction score
I have a dream of grafting a different variety of ume to every branch of my full-size Santa Rosa plum tree in my Japanese garden. I’ve already grafted Peggy Clarke, Kanko bai, and Shiro kaga with success. I’m looking for other varieties to add. Would anyone on this forum be willing to sell me some dormant scions and/or any small trees that you’ve propagated? I fully appreciate how difficult it is to find rare ume varieties in the U.S., so I’m happy to compensate you accordingly. My email is: drchristy@simplyvibrant.com. It’s a joy to be connected with other people who love this amazing specimen as much as I do. Thanks for considering. 🌸

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like I'll be having a good crop of fruit this year....

View attachment 475660View attachment 475661
So what’s the deal there . Do you plant the seeds from your crop . I would think considering the amount of different cultivars you have . There is great opportunities . To get unique seedlings . Or do you just use the fruit for food .

Top Bottom