Fun Little Ginkgo Progression

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
As @sorce alluded, if I don't get any buds in that long empty section, then I'll eventually cut it way down low . . . for now, I'm giving it a chance.
Is this the same ginkgo that gets those quirky growths on the trunk? If so...I would think if some of those formed on the long section...it could make the tree look cool. Just saying...

Future owner of a ginkgo...sending in payment. So now researching and looking at what the group has in way of the species. Like where you are taking this one.

Reaction score
I noticed that you did your first trunk chop in summer. Any particular reason? Shouldn't this be done late winter preferably?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Even if I end up going more classic flame style, I'd like to see a bit of Trunk/Nebari at the bottom; that's why I ditched that lowest branch. Im not certain where we'll end up - perhaps somewhere naturalistic between broom and flame . . .
So...the flame style...you see no trunk to be had? Hm-mmm Adair suggested I take that direction with my newly acquired ginkgo. Not sure I wish to hide its base. Food for thought...I am still researching this species...The ChiChi ginkgo sort of has been hate relationship that has went into a curious one...to then, an intrigued one. To now owning one. lol (Which ginkgo do you have do you know?) I may have some questions to toss your way from time to time. You have taken yours to a great direction.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So...the flame style...you see no trunk to be had?
A quick google image search will reveal both trees that show some trunk and some that don't. http://lmgtfy.com/?t=i&q=flame+style+ginkgo
I don't know that one is "better" or "right" - I was just expressing that I personally wanted to be able to see some trunk on this tree. There's no reason you couldn't do the same and still work toward a "flame" style.
(Which ginkgo do you have do you know?) I may have some questions to toss your way from time to time. You have taken yours to a great direction.
Thanks! I don't know if this particular tree is one of the common landscape cultivars, or a seedling, or what, but it is unlikely to be a "chi-chi" tree, having come from a basic landscape nursery. I hope you really enjoy yours :)

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I noticed that you did your first trunk chop in summer. Any particular reason? Shouldn't this be done late winter preferably?
To be honest, it was just a matter of having the time and motivation - I didn't really consider the seasonal timing at all when I made that first chop. Mid-summer may not be ideal, but it didn't seem to ruin anything . . .

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A quick google image search will reveal both trees that show some trunk and some that don't. http://lmgtfy.com/?t=i&q=flame+style+ginkgo
I don't know that one is "better" or "right" - I was just expressing that I personally wanted to be able to see some trunk on this tree. There's no reason you couldn't do the same and still work toward a "flame" style.

Thanks! I don't know if this particular tree is one of the common landscape cultivars, or a seedling, or what, but it is unlikely to be a "chi-chi" tree, having come from a basic landscape nursery. I hope you really enjoy yours :)
Either or, you are doing a fabulous job with direction!

Top Bottom