Grow boxes

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the screen is to stimulate finer root system through air pruning.

The wire mesh is not really about fast drainage as much as it it about getting the most air possible to the roots in this grow box. The more oxygen the roots get the healthier they will be, the more they will grow.

The wood on the bottom keeps the roots from breathing and taking in air from two sides instead of just one is really the point.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nature's way idea is good thanks!

I have a chop saw so I get my four boards quick. If I could find a way to cut the mesh quicker it would be nice. Sometimes the cedar boards splits out and I have to drill a bigger hole for the screw head. That makes it take a little longer, but I have two drills so I don't have to keep swapping out bits.

Two drills...why didn't I think of that? :confused: A lot of time is lost swapping out the bits...small drill bit for pilot hole, larger drill bit to sink the screw heads (avoids splitting as you note), then the screwdriver bit for the screws. I think you just saved me some time! I'm probably also using too many screws, or at least more than necessary.

Looks like you run boards across the bottom of your boxes, leaving gaps between? And then cover that (inside) with mesh? That's what I do, leaving about an inch or two between boards. I'll be making a box in the next couple of days and will post a photo when done.

Chris

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmm, I shifted a few years ago to large uv plastic saucers, the ones used under large pots.

I found that 6" was a limit for depth and good growing, and the saucers are up to 24 " and just around 4" deep for that size. You can mound or raise if potbound to go higher.

Holes are made with a heated pipe passed through the plastic.
Takes a few minutes.

I get a flat root system, and so far very good growth. The saucers will last forever, and are not costly.
Hope that helps.
Good Afternoon.
Anthony

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nature's way idea is good thanks!

Sometimes the cedar boards splits out and I have to drill a bigger hole for the screw head. That makes it take a little longer, but I have two drills so I don't have to keep swapping out bits.

Have you ever tried a countersink drill? We use them at my shop and the work great. The are also adjustable for different length screws and will both jobs at one time.
I make my boxes out of mahogany drops, they're free and last for years
COUNTERSINK DRILL BIT

Grow Box.jpg

Last edited:

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
View attachment 32546View attachment 32547View attachment 32544View attachment 32545

Here are 4 trees that I gathered in the last 1-3 years. They are all in grow boxes. I used pine for a box instead of cedar, but it got slimy and gross as it absorbed more water. The cedar is really the way to go.

Are those first trees spruce? If they are, what type? I'm going collecting soon and I think there will be a good amount of black spruce around.

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Have you ever tried a countersink drill? We use them at my shop and the work great. The are also adjustable for different length screws and will both jobs at one time.
I make my boxes out of mahogany drops, they're free and last for years
COUNTERSINK DRILL BIT

View attachment 32572

Thats a beautiful box! Love the handles.

Emrys

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Something I made out of drops from chair parts I produce.

image.jpgimage.jpg

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I said I would post a photo of one of my boxes, so here it is. Newly built, this one is about 16x14" and a little under 5" deep. Sides are cedar, bottom slats and handles are pine. Window screen stapled many places serves as the bottom. Looks a lot like the ones built by fourteener.

Chris

box1.jpg

Frojo

Sapling
Reaction score
If you want to make a lot of holes in a plastic container, I have an old soldering gun that does it in next to no time (outside, open air!). I make lots of slits that are just narrow enough so that the substrate can't wash out. Also up the sides.

Attachments

• IMG_1365.jpg
    IMG_1365.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 40

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Frojo,

I use a heated pipe, because I read that it was better to have a few large holes, than many small ones, as I assume drainage goes.

Additionally, I can get galvanised pipes at 1" dia., and with a simple propane torch just heat and pierce. Since I have quite a few grow barrels [ 1/4 to 1/3 of the 55 US gal. black plastic ] the pipe makes life easy.
Also done out doors with the wind at my back, blowing the smell away.

I also have the use of elevated grow troughs, so I can lazily sit and work - chuckle.
Good Morning.
Anthony

Emrys

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That looks great. Very nicely crafted. What do you mean by drops, just wood scraps? I don't think I've ever heard that term.

Yeah "drop" is a term used in fabrication to refer to the remaining, unintended part left over after a cut.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Here is the planter box system I designed and patented a number of years ago. It's made of Redwood and is screened sides and bottom.

PLANTERS2jpg.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Vance, I bought one of these from you and it is in great shape after 4 years. A work of art!

Frank

I appreciate that very much. I was talking to a club member yesterday that has had one for ten years and is still using it.

Top Bottom