How much would you pay for these white pine and black pine?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree with this logic. It just feels wrong IMO to buy something and sell the same for so much more on the same platform on the same day. I wouldn’t do it.
By the way, I’m not against capitalism nor I’m I against profit making.
The seller was happy to sell the trees, or else he wouldn’t have done it. He didn’t want them. He’s having to clear out GrandMa’s house. Selling them relieved him from a burden.

The buyer can get his money back with a sale of one of the three. If, it sells. Maybe it will, maybe he’ll have to negotiate.

Back in the day, I used to flip houses. I would get a lead on a house where “grandma” lived, and then she had to move to the nursing home, or maybe she passed away. Her adult children were tasked with selling her stuff. The house was usually full of old stuff. They would get a RE agent to set a price. I would come in and offer half of what the agent said it was worth, but I’d offer cash, As is. I can close as soon as the closing agent can do the paperwork. I almost always got an acceptance. At the closing table, they’d thank me for making it easy. They didn’t want to have to deal with showings, fix ups, buyers getting loans, etc.

They were happy, I got a great deal I could either fix up and sell, or rent out. Win-win.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
$2000? You really think so? I've seen trees go for crazy prices, heck...I've sold a couple of small things on facebook and was shocked what people bid them up to. But you think someone would spend $2000 for that? I don't see it, even with a top notch wiring job.
I have no idea. Really. Can’t tell much about it from the pictures. It’s possible, I suppose. Trees go for big bucks in California.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have no idea. Really. Can’t tell much about it from the pictures. It’s possible, I suppose. Trees go for big bucks in California.
Lots of money, little brains? I agree it is very hard to tell from the photos posted. But there just doesn't appear to be much of value in that piece of material.

The issue of reselling quickly for profit is an interesting one. I had sold a small maple on facebook a couple of years ago. It was something I got for free but after spending a couple of years on it I decided I had better ways to spend my time. The guy who bought it paid me about $90 total I think (including shipping). About 6 months later he put it back on the facebook group and sold it for something like $200. Tree looked exactly the same! (It was a dwarf very slow growing cultivar). At first I was a little pissed that I had left that money on the table but then I realized - good for him. I think the reason he was able to get more for it was he is a bigger "name" in the bonsai world and has had trees in the National Show. So someone was willing to pay more to buy the same thing from him. Either that or he just got the timing right and got lucky! Either way, we both made some $ and hopefully the tree has found a home where it is appreciated.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@penumbra @Hbhaska I just began understanding this phenomenon recently when listening to a YouTube video of Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Louis CK, and Ricky Jarvais.

Ricky said he takes bits out of specials where he gets cheap laughs. He doesn't want to make money off of stuff that anyone can do. Me and @Hbhaska fall in that category. He says he does it for the respect of other comedians.
Seinfeld, Ahem.... said "if you want my respect leave it in!" The @penumbra category.

There is Moral compass there. But it is one that doesn't get brought up often. It's odd.

I feel the same way in that I can make clay shit in seconds and sell it for crazy loot, but "anyone" can.
Trouble is...."anyone can't". I remain blind to it.

I think it is quite engrained.

I'm Polish. We work.

Folks that have always had $ that don't see its value, don't have this compass direction.

Sorce

Top Bottom