Japanese Maple, 'arakawa'

Libbie

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's beautiful! Fun to look back through the whole thread and watch its progress over more than a decade.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just saw this thread for the first time... What amazing inspiration! I can't wait to layer off some of the big trunk sections off of my arakawa, and create a progression of my own in the future.

Attachments

• 20231105_101911.jpg
    20231105_101911.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 86

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks great Brian! Great color and wow, that bark!

Do you find the leaves on your arakawa differ much from others? I feel like the lobes are longer and thinner on yours compared to most I have seen.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Do you find the leaves on your arakawa differ much from others? I feel like the lobes are longer and thinner on yours compared to most I have seen.
Agreed. The petioles are pretty long too, so it will definitely show better bare as it continues to develop until it gets pretty big.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Agreed. The petioles are pretty long too, so it will definitely show better bare as it continues to develop until it gets pretty big.

I think it looks fine the way as it is, but the leaf shape just seemed much different to me from others.

if you are concerned about leaf/petiole size, would defoliation early in the season help? too risky?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I think it looks fine the way as it is, but the leaf shape just seemed much different to me from others.

if you are concerned about leaf/petiole size, would defoliation early in the season help? too risky?
It may be worth trying, but likely only if I’m hoping to show it that same year In leaf.

TrimmyWhimmy

Seedling
Reaction score
Consistent rough bark takes longer than I thought. I have some baby Arakawas. Looks like I'll be waiting 15 years.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Do you pinch the apex as well? I've read warnings that the apex of arakawa can be weak and to avoid it, but I'm curious about your own experience as I look to do the same to my own. I take it you don't avoid doing it after a repot, which is good to know!

Reaction score
I'm So envious. I can't grow the maple family tree in my area (Tropis). always ended tragically

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Do you pinch the apex as well? I've read warnings that the apex of arakawa can be weak and to avoid it, but I'm curious about your own experience as I look to do the same to my own. I take it you don't avoid doing it after a repot, which is good to know!
Apex is plenty strong, so I haven’t held back.

Top Bottom