JBP cutting success

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
About 3 months ago I cut off a fresh shoot from one of my JBP saplings. I stuck it in some soil with rooting hormone and splashed some water on it every morning when I watered my other trees.

I’ve been pulling it out of the soil every now and then with little progress. I posted this photo on my Instagram on January 5th after I saw what looked like a root module starting to form

2CD77C28-D0D3-4CD6-9FB2-EF4BE2708674.jpeg

Today I decided to yank it out the soil again, 15 days later…

12A75F0E-713A-41CE-A0D8-6583535B6CF4.jpeg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Good job! That was a branch or a candle cutting??

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Great results! Don't keep pulling it out of the soil to look at it though :) You might kill it with curiosity :) Instead see if you can find a cutting tray made from clear material... or even use clear plastic glasses with some holes punched in the bottom (perfect tool for this is an old soldering iron).

Since you are 6 months off our season, I'm assuming this was last year's growth and not from a spring candle, correct?

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Great results! Don't keep pulling it out of the soil to look at it though :) You might kill it with curiosity :) Instead see if you can find a cutting tray made from clear material... or even use clear plastic glasses with some holes punched in the bottom (perfect tool for this is an old soldering iron).

Since you are 6 months off our season, I'm assuming this was last year's growth and not from a spring candle, correct?
Yeah I know my curiosity has bitten before, I’m always tugging at my trident cuttings to check on the roots. I usually use 100% perlite so it hasn’t caused any catastrophic failures (yet).

I cut off an older branch that was starting to cause some inverse taper, this was the spring candle on the end.

I’ve got 2 more candles in the same pot but no roots yet, hopefully they join in the rooting fun

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
About 3 months ago I cut off a fresh shoot from one of my JBP saplings. I stuck it in some soil with rooting hormone and splashed some water on it every morning when I watered my other trees.

I’ve been pulling it out of the soil every now and then with little progress. I posted this photo on my Instagram on January 5th after I saw what looked like a root module starting to form

View attachment 416832

Today I decided to yank it out the soil again, 15 days later…

View attachment 416833
Great start. Congrats, good to experiment with ideas. Shorter cutting and more needles than usually recommended. Like the results.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
This looks like what I doo too. Late winter/early spring cuttings of last year's growth with an intact terminal bud. Success rate is not always great. I get around 20% in a good batch down to 0% but if it is hard to get seed or plants then any results are good.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This looks like what I doo too. Late winter/early spring cuttings of last year's growth with an intact terminal bud. Success rate is not always great. I get around 20% in a good batch down to 0% but if it is hard to get seed or plants then any results are good.
I am experimenting with two dwarf JWP cultivars and cuttings this year. Will be interested to see what the success rate is if any! So often they can only be acquired when grafted on a variety of other root stocks. My overall goal is to obtain these cultivars on their own roots. The first batch of JWP "Arakawa" is pictured below.

Attachments

• IMG_0688 2.JPG
    IMG_0688 2.JPG
    256 KB · Views: 49

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I am experimenting with two dwarf JWP cultivars and cuttings this year. Will be interested to see what the success rate is if any! So often they can only be acquired when grafted on a variety of other root stocks. My overall goal is to obtain these cultivars on their own roots. The first batch of JWP "Arakawa" is pictured below.
You’re doing it wrong. That tray of cuttings needs to go under one of your benches and only get some water when you remember 😂

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please keep us posted. I have 13 varieties of JWP. I would love to have something on its own roots.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Please keep us posted. I have 13 varieties of JWP. I would love to have something on its own roots.
This is a good time of year to pop a dozen cutting of each variety in the mail. After I receive them I will keep you posted, it would be good to experiment with different varieties. :cool:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a good time of year to pop a dozen cutting of each variety in the mail. After I receive them I will keep you posted, it would be good to experiment with different varieties. :cool:
These are small plants, mostly 2 -3 year grafts. A dozen cuttings would leave nothing left at all.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
These are small plants, mostly 2 -3 year grafts. A dozen cuttings would leave nothing left at all.
Understood, I was fortunate lately to find some material that was grafted quite a while ago and then forgotten in the back of a nursery. So I obtained a group of them in 3 gallon containers, very bushy! (18 to 24 inches high) This variety is " Aoi " more of an intermediate size than dwarf. They are now repotted in 1 1/2 gal terra cotta Azalea style pots with the roots combed out nursery soil removed. The grafts are low down and with age should make decent Bonsai. For now the extra material will aid my experiments on best practice for cutting propagation of JWP.
Note: I sorted through a lot of them to find 8 good ones for Bonsai purposes!
As they were just repotted yesterday, the scions will be taken today. They will begin stratification and be planted in about one month. Nice blue green cultivar with medium short needles. One more type to play with.IMG_0695.JPG

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Those are wonderful.
These four Arakawa JWP do look quite naked after I chose cutting material. However they are five or six year old root grafts on JBP so the size is smaller although they are about 18 inches in height. Also they are a dwarf cultivar so the growth rate is somewhat slower, even on JBP roots. I left them in the grow bed for the past two years and will likely grow them out there for the next four or five to thicken the trunks, and continue to wire for movement and shape the primary branching. I am willing to follow this process unground for a few plants. The grafts on these are veneer side grafts very low down within 1 inch of the root flare. They should be very difficult to discern with age.
IMG_0694.JPG

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
66.6% success rate so far, 2/3 cuttings have rooted.

Root out the bottom of the pot!

View attachment 418247
Excellent progress! That seems like a lot of roots in a short period of time. Hope to see new candles extending this season.

Things are looking positive at this end as well. JWP " Arakawa" cuttings are progressing. The former small tight red buds have swollen and are extending and turning green. This is approximately eight weeks after striking the cuttings. First four weeks were cold stratification, so four weeks after planting in the tray with heat mat under the tray! So far all the cuttings are showing signs of bud swelling and pre candle growth.

Attachments

• IMG_0699.JPG
    IMG_0699.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0700.JPG
    IMG_0700.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 22
Top Bottom