John Naka's Bonsai Techniques 1. FREE

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tried to read the link but couldn't. I don't know about copyrights but it sure was nice Eric posted this to give people a taste of Naka's. Makes me want to get them.
There is a lot more illegal things going on the internet than copyright infringement of an old bonsai book.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There is a lot more illegal things going on the internet than copyright infringement of an old bonsai book.

True but that doesn't justify doing another illegal thing.

There are so many murderers and rapists out there so it is okay to be a small time pick pocket? NO!

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All well and good folks, but I am not one to sit on my laurels while an injustice is carried on. So I asked myself, what can a fellow do?

The way I see it we're talking about a national treasure here. Something to be cherished and also used to it's best potential. I have the set, I've read them both and now they occupy a chunk of wall in the bookcase. There are wanting and deserving folks who would make good use of these books and frankly I get all I need right here.

Get to the point old man!
Ok, here's my plan. Why don't we old farts pass these great books on to the deserving youth in our community. Let's start a traditon of helping these young enthusiasts get the best start. If it's really about getting the info out there, I'll get the ball rolling. Blake, pm me your addy and I'll send my copies off to you. Most sincerly, Rick

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
All well and good folks, but I am not one to sit on my laurels while an injustice is carried on. So I asked myself, what can a fellow do?

The way I see it we're talking about a national treasure here. Something to be cherished and also used to it's best potential. I have the set, I've read them both and now they occupy a chunk of wall in the bookcase. There are wanting and deserving folks who would make good use of these books and frankly I get all I need right here.

Ok, here's my plan. Why don't we old farts pass these great books on to the deserving youth in our community. Let's start a traditon of helping these young enthusiasts get the best start. If it's really about getting the info out there, I'll get the ball rolling. Blake, pm me your addy and I'll send my copies off to you. Most sincerly, Rick

That's a great gesture and very kind of you!

Ok I'm next...lol

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I respect any teacher's works. What I can't respect are those who wish to price gouge another one's works for profit. I'm not sure how much his books were when they were first published, and I'm sure it couldn't have been what I see on Amazon. Seeing how his brand new books fare on the internet makes me sigh.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I see two good solutions to the issue being discussed here.

1. If you think this the greatest crime in America since the tea partyers tossed the King's tea in Boston Harbor then don't click on the link.

2. If you think that a long ago published book is worth a look and an attempt to read a poor copy, since hard copies don't seem to be available, go for it.

Posting a link on a web site is not anything approaching a crime.

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I respect any teacher's works. What I can't respect are those who wish to price gouge another one's works for profit. I'm not sure how much his books were when they were first published, and I'm sure it couldn't have been what I see on Amazon. Seeing how his brand new books fare on the internet makes me sigh.

As long as there is competitive pricing, it's not gouging. And, many people who sell things make money off of others work. There's nothing wrong with that. Unless you're completely self sufficient and assuming you have a job...you make money off of other people's work. Or, at the very least, other people's work allows you to make money.

I think mine cost me $20 each, 30 years ago. That was a lot of money to me back then. I'm not sure what that is in today's dollars. They're worth what someone is willing to pay.

Andy

Last edited:

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are out of print. It's like selling a classic car. You are not going to sell it for its 1969 dealership price. I will sell my copies of 1&2 for $350. I will probably never open them again. I think they are good for beginners to get your head around concepts of bonsai. Any takers? Nothing I own is not for sale.

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa

wow man I'm truly touched by your offer and am more than willing to accept. Pm sent. I can't tell you how much this means to me, seriously.

I was having a really shitty day and this turned it around big time. Thanks again Rick.

Last edited:

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score

Wow! Amazingly kind gesture! Thanks for bringing something good to the discussion!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score

1. If you think this the greatest crime in America since the tea partyers tossed the King's tea in Boston Harbor then don't click on the link.

2. If you think that a long ago published book is worth a look and an attempt to read a poor copy, since hard copies don't seem to be available, go for it.

Exactly. Thanks for posting what I thought was an obvious fact.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You yourself said "how those laws apply to this sort of infringement and linking to the infringing site is not clear"... So you are basically admitting you have NO CLUE what you are talking about and just railing against it because you think it is "not cool"? Ok, great. We are all entitled to our opinions I guess.
I swear some of y'all actually believe this crap don't you? SMH...

Yes. I believe it. And yes, I railed against because I think it's wrong, and not just because I know it's an infringement. And yes, I have at least a couple of clues. :rolleyes:

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

What if I told you that it's possible to think that people shouldn't be ripping off John Naka's work even if they don't necessarily think it's the greatest crime since the Boston Tea Party?

Do you have a cite for that? Because if you do, Barrett Brown's lawyers would probably like to get a copy of it before his sentencing hearing in August.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you all for the kind words. Having read these books I think I can safely say John would be very much in agreement with my gesture. Not that you should all give your books away, but that a person should always follow the prompting of their heart, with their trees and in their life.

To me there are more important things than the monitery value of an object. Making a friend and being a part of someone elses improvement is a rare and priceless opportunity.

Listen now, I know I'll never be a bonsai master, ain't got the time left, but the idea that I may have just set one on that path, well, that just blows what's left of my little mind. Y'all follow your own, Sincerly, Rick

Reactions: Geo

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Thank you all for the kind words. Having read these books I think I can safely say John would be very much in agreement with my gesture. Not that you should all give your books away, but that a person should always follow the prompting of their heart, with their trees and in their life.

To me there are more important things than the monitery value of an object. Making a friend and being a part of someone elses improvement is a rare and priceless opportunity.

Listen now, I know I'll never be a bonsai master, ain't got the time left, but the idea that I may have just set one on that path, well, that just blows what's left of my little mind. Y'all follow your own, Sincerly, Rick

Those books are deffinatly the first 2 stepping stones on my journey. And i'm not one to ever forget those who have helped me along the way. Thank you Rick.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I also received a surprise today in the mail as well. Not only did I receive the books, both signed, but two pots as well just because. The kindness of this gesture is not lost on me and I was honestly moved by the generosity. I guarantee that I will be here in a few years carrying on the torch and paying it forward when I have the means to do so.

Thank you all for the mentorship and willingness to help us newbies out.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
What if I told you that it's possible to think that people shouldn't be ripping off John Naka's work even if they don't necessarily think it's the greatest crime since the Boston Tea Party?

Do you have a cite for that? Because if you do, Barrett Brown's lawyers would probably like to get a copy of it before his sentencing hearing in August.

Barret Brown? The heroin addict, admitted former member of the hacking group anonymous who is in trouble for everything from threatening FBI agents to trying to release confidential info about their cases and the government? THAT seems like a rational comparison to you? You think he is in trouble for posting a link on a website to an old bonsai book apparently? Because, if that is not what you think then you just compared THIS THREAD to the actions of a notorious hacker who is in prison for actions comparable to trying to bring down our government.

I'm done... This guy just went looney tunes on us. Y'all keep on arguing all you want about the legalities involved here, but this just got REAL STUPID. Take it however you want, but the link was posted so more people could be aware of the contributions Naka made to Bonsai in America and so more people could see what valuable info is in this book. Take it how ever you want to take it- bitch, cry, scream and make idiotic threats and comparisons like this guy is trying to do if it makes you feel like an Internet tough guy. The book is online, for free, deal with it.

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Barret Brown? The heroin addict, admitted former member of the hacking group anonymous who is in trouble for everything from threatening FBI agents to trying to release confidential info about their cases and the government? THAT seems like a rational comparison to you? You think he is in trouble for posting a link on a website to an old bonsai book apparently? Because, if that is not what you think then you just compared THIS THREAD to the actions of a notorious hacker who is in prison for actions comparable to trying to bring down our government.

I'm done... This guy just went looney tunes on us. Y'all keep on arguing all you want about the legalities involved here, but this just got REAL STUPID. Take it however you want, but the link was posted so more people could be aware of the contributions Naka made to Bonsai in America and so more people could see what valuable info is in this book. Take it how ever you want to take it- bitch, cry, scream and make idiotic threats and comparisons like this guy is trying to do if it makes you feel like an Internet tough guy. The book is online, for free, deal with it.

This will hopefully be the only time I contribute to any sort of negativity on this site.
Eric, F'um. If it wasn't for you posting this link I would not have what was so selflessly gifted to me. U starting this thread set in motion a series of events that I highly doubt will result in anything negative, and may in fact be the begining of something wonderful. I think Mr. Naka would be just fine with the end result of you spreading his knowledge.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It is nice to hear how this thread is turning positive :) I was getting a headache trying to remember the details of my class in Intellectual Property Law :)

On a positive note - I continue to refer to my copies and to get value from them. Though some of the horticultural details have been superseded with newer material, the material on design and development are still very relevant. Plus it gives me insight into the way one important individual thought about bonsai - kinda like a an autobiography through bonsai...

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I also received a surprise today in the mail as well. Not only did I receive the books, both signed, but two pots as well just because. The kindness of this gesture is not lost on me and I was honestly moved by the generosity. I guarantee that I will be here in a few years carrying on the torch and paying it forward when I have the means to do so.

Thank you all for the mentorship and willingness to help us newbies out.

Man, that is a cool story! I am so glad something good came from all of this... I might have to ask to borrow #2 from you once you have committed it to memory.. I don't believe I have ever had the pleasure of reading the second book.

Top Bottom