Mike Hart

Seedling
Reaction score
Just bought a juniper from homedepot today. It cost about $9. Along with 2 other plants but I will post them elsewhere. I figured it would be a good chance to practice some pruning and wiring techniques and I won't be too upset if I end up killing it or it looks terrible, but you have to start somewhere. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Repot, styling, wiring, fertilizing... anything! Thanks!

Attachments

• 20160612_210929.jpg
    20160612_210929.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 41
  • 20160612_210936.jpg
    20160612_210936.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 20160612_214847.jpg
    20160612_214847.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20160612_214900.jpg
    20160612_214900.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 38

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Tip one- don't remove all the foliage close to the trunk leaving only long branches with tufts of foliage at the ends.... Oops, too late! Dangit!

Well... Umm... Guess you can wire it easier now! :)

Mike Hart

Seedling
Reaction score
Tip one- don't remove all the foliage close to the trunk leaving only long branches with tufts of foliage at the ends.... Oops, too late! Dangit!

Yea I bought 3 trees today I just butchered lol but I figured I would get someconstructive criticism and learn fromit.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

I did the same rookie mistake with a virginiana that I call my 'what was I thinking' juniper now :)
Right now I'm thinking tanuki with it, I think the one above would make a good one too with the right deadwood ;)

@Mike Hart
Welcome!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

My 1st thoughts exactly!

Well...second...after...there are better varieties...

No worries though...

If you don't mind growing it..
I think you got a good start to a 5 trunk clumpish tree...(gonna have to be creative with it after looking at the last pic...)

I'd just wire the bare parts now into something resembling a nice "forest".

By fall you may be able to start wiring the branching down...

It'll give you good wiring practice at least..and if it makes it...it'll be original for sure!

Sorce

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Mike the first things to learn are not wiring and pruning or asking after you have done the deed.

The first things you must learn in this crazy horticulture art are patience and to not just keep a tree alive for a couple of months, but to have it thrive over several years. And during this time you need to join a local club, view all the bonsai you can and read the classic bonsai texts.

But your eagerness is appreciated. Stick with it.

Top Bottom