Juniperus Virginiana (Eastern Red Cedar) #2

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Did some pruning today. This is the front im running with. I have a new leader selected up top.

20230517_223408.jpg

20230517_223439.jpg

20230517_223429.jpg

Its not looking that happy. I think it needs some fertilization so Im going to start hitting this tree hard with organics.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Doing much better after fertilizing. Showing with future pot selection. Will probably repot next year. Needs detail wiring in fall.

20230820_094442.jpg
20230820_094448.jpg
20230820_094452.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Waiting to wire in the fall. Check out these disguised scale insects... never saw this type before and had no idea to even check ERC for scale. I peeled them off. They were rock hard!! Ill keep checking for these from now on. Didnt seem to do any damage.

20230918_200902.jpg20230918_200730.jpg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Waiting to wire in the fall. Check out these disguised scale insects... never saw this type before and had no idea to even check ERC for scale. I peeled them off. They were rock hard!! Ill keep checking for these from now on. Didnt seem to do any damage.

View attachment 509459View attachment 509460
Not scale! Which is good. They are just eggs from a Katydid. They lay them in the fall and hatch in the spring. Pretty sure they are a beneficial insect to your garden also. They may eat some leaves but they also eat other bugs.

ERClover

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Thank you for making and updating this thread. It is like looking into the future for the development of my ERC’s. I also have a couple crabapples so have been trying to be diligent about rust prevention. I will definitely check out the systemic fungicide you mentioned. Keep the updates coming!

ERClover

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Also, in case you’re interested in researching the Monterey product (which it does look like they no longer have, everything keeps directing to their “Max” product which is different ingredients), I found an “Infuse” product which is the same active ingredient as the fungi fighter. Let me know if you want further details.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Good start on a long road. Food for thought....... I planted 4 pencil-sized ERC in the ground when we got here 5 years ago. They range from 3" to 4 1/2" in diameter now.

ERClover

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Good start on a long road. Food for thought....... I planted 4 pencil-sized ERC in the ground when we got here 5 years ago. They range from 3" to 4 1/2" in diameter now.
I just read that in another thread I was scouring! 😂

I took this volunteer sapling last year from my golf club and it grew a little before I repotted it this spring, picture first. After a full growing season it has grown tremendously, pictured second. I know they’re much maligned and for good reason but I think that’s what it is about them that makes me love them. I have a target in my landscaping I may do a ground study with. There is a massive mature specimen in my backyard and they are all over where I live in their namesake state. Prepared for the frustrations they provide but being so new to things it will all be part of my learning process!

Attachments

• IMG_6503.jpeg
    IMG_6503.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7124.jpeg
    IMG_7124.jpeg
    312.7 KB · Views: 13

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

My concern is the leggy foliage. Im trying to keep that in check by keeping pot bound. Ive got shimpaku field growing for thickness. Lol

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
My concern is the leggy foliage. Im trying to keep that in check by keeping pot bound. Ive got shimpaku field growing for thickness. Lol
My way of bulking up ERC is to slightly overpot them, fertilize like mad and pinch the most aggressive shoots. To gain bulk, trees need to GROW. Pinching the aggressive shoots means stimulating all of the other shoots. Let the aggressive shoots grow a couple of inches before pinching. When a bit overpotting, allow the tree to settle into the pot for 3-4 years. It seems to me that ERC doesn't like its roots messed with.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think my main problem for the past few years with overall growth/ health has been fertilizing. Im resolving that this autumn by buying some baskets and trying a granualar fert. It seems to have helped a lot.

On my other ERC Ive been doing like you state with trimming longer tips back as they grow outside the pads and it seems to have been a good strategy, so Im going to do that on this one also. In not as concerned with bulk as I plan on keeping this tree small.

Id love to see some of your ERC so if you can post some pictures, that would be great. I think they are good trees so I may look to add another really good one if I find one.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think my main problem for the past few years with overall growth/ health has been fertilizing. Im resolving that this autumn by buying some baskets and trying a granualar fert. It seems to have helped a lot.

On my other ERC Ive been doing like you state with trimming longer tips back as they grow outside the pads and it seems to have been a good strategy, so Im going to do that on this one also. In not as concerned with bulk as I plan on keeping this tree small.

Id love to see some of your ERC so if you can post some pictures, that would be great. I think they are good trees so I may look to add another really good one if I find one.
This is my best one (the one in my avatar) on collection day after an hour of INTENSE pruning. It started 7' tall and 4' wide.

100_2037.JPG

This is it this spring about 5 years in.

unnamed (77).jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some pictures today. A few minor tweaks in wiring. Trimmed some downward hanging foliage. End of year. Needs a repot next year.

@Bonsai Nut #30 not #2

Before:
20231111_224023.jpg

After:
20231111_230256.jpg

Last edited:

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Repotted, painted the spots of rust with 3in1