Keep it or Cut it?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hey, you virtually rubbed out my dog! :D

The branch you removed is the one as I was considering at the start of the thread...probably someday it will need to go, but I like the full look for now. As the tree ages and the leaves reduce, I will want to see more pads and less "mass".

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was hesitant to suggest removal of the lower right branch until I saw Drake's virt. Now I would consider it. I like the balance it gives.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thought I'd share a photo of the maple from this evening. The red leaves are an incredible sight, and they work very well with the blue in the pot.

Attachments

• DSC05826.jpg
    DSC05826.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 448

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, beautiful! Since your still deciding I vote (not that this is democratic) with those recommending gradually placing branches (for the resulting hole) and then reducing at least the thick portion of the left trunk.....but not now! It looks great in leaf.

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree. I like the lower right branch. With out it it seems too symmetrical and typical. I would be inclined to let it grow for a while and try to thicken up the branch, but definitely vote to keep it. I would also keep the upright left branch for this reason. If you remove it then the balance it creates with the upright branch to the right and back is lost. Having similar branches on both sides leads your eye back to the larger trunk. This is a basic design principle seen in landscaping, architecture, and other design. That's why plants in landscape and group bonsai are always placed in odd numbers if there are less than several.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks for the comments! Nothing's coming off...for now...

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like the tree as it looks currently and honestly that bottom branch looks fine, though I think it's as appealing without the branch as it is with it. Anyway, I was reading a couple posts about avoiding the pointed top, and though you may or may not be opposed to it, here's a quick virt.

Attachments

• 23yhh3etebhdb.JPG
    23yhh3etebhdb.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 337

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yikes! A good old fashioned beheading!:D

Appreciate the thought, and as I stated somewhere in an earlier post, I think that this tree is about where it should be, considering it's only been in a bonsai pot for 6 years. Comparing it to a maple that passed this stage and has been a bonsai for decades with the opportunity to age and round-out gracefully, rather than through a pollard cut is probably setting up the current design for problems down the road.

Here's a recent shot after a 50% defoliation. It's holding up to this summer heat pretty well...but is it conjuring any "Coneheads" lines?

Attachments

• DSC06591.jpg
    DSC06591.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 298

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
They don't call me the exicutioner for nothin'! :D

It does look like it's rounded out a bit. Would you care posting a picture when it's lost all of its leaves?

"If I did not fear incarceration from human authority figures, I would terminate your life functions by applying sufficient pressure to your blunt skull so as to force its collapse!" - Beldar

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This tree is awesome, and I love the red color. I agree with you that the top and branch should stay, though I think it will look much better thickened out, and pulled slightly upward. What kind of japanese maple is it?

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
First, this tree is developing quite nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing a picture of it in 3-5 years. :)

But there is one thing that, to my eye, detracts from its quality: the sub-trunk on the right is hidden too much to be interesting, but visible enough to be a distraction. If it were more to one side, or even in front, it would give the tree individuality, but as it is, I don't think it improves the tree. Based on what your pics show, I would remove it, sorta like thus, then let the lowest right-hand branch fill out more.

As my grandfather liked to say, "My opinion, and worth every penny you paid for it." :p

Attachments

• Brian's Japmaple virt.jpg
    Brian's Japmaple virt.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 311

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
First, this tree is developing quite nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing a picture of it in 3-5 years. :)

But there is one thing that, to my eye, detracts from its quality: the sub-trunk on the right is hidden too much to be interesting, but visible enough to be a distraction. If it were more to one side, or even in front, it would give the tree individuality, but as it is, I don't think it improves the tree. Based on what your pics show, I would remove it, sorta like thus, then let the lowest right-hand branch fill out more.

As my grandfather liked to say, "My opinion, and worth every penny you paid for it." :p

Good eye. That does appear to look better.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
This tree is awesome, and I love the red color. I agree with you that the top and branch should stay, though I think it will look much better thickened out, and pulled slightly upward. What kind of japanese maple is it?

Thanks, it's a 'shishio improved' from Gary Wood. It's been layered several times and a few of the offspring are growing out. It's been a great cultivar to work with, if only it would bark up...

Steve...it took a while to see what you did...it may be a bit distracting in that photo, but it has to stay.

Reaction score
brian, there is nothing wrong with anything on your tree... if one wants to find faults, than faults will be found...
problem no one seems to realize is, it is those so called faults that make it believable.
Leave the lower brach on the right just like it is, it looks good. I think it is what is actually giving the tree character... without it, it will loose a lot !!!

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here are a couple from today...kind of at the unattractive point where good color hasn't quite come on yet, and the bad leaves haven't fallen yet. More as it turns.

SAM_1070.jpgSAM_1069.jpg

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's just such a great looking trees bvf. Do you have or take cuttings from it?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It's just such a great looking trees bvf. Do you have or take cuttings from it?

Thanks. It's produced 3 air layers; 1 sold, 1 in the ground, and 1 in a training pot (this one). I also have a few cuttings going in case I need them for root grafting.

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How about leaving the lowest right branch, let it grow freely for several years? Will thicken up base, and give you another layer. It will look strange for a couple of years, but will help age your tree, and give you another.

Top Bottom