Kennett Collection Reduction sale

Thanks for the photos! Would have been nice to be able to get down there but it wasn't meant to be.

So how did the whole thing work? Were people limited to how long they could stay, or to how many trees they could purchase?

Chris

It was functional, fair to some extent...Having money would not have been sufficient to acquire what you want...A lot of moving variables and impossible to control...They establish groups of people in chronological order based on color wrist bands that each person got to select from a black box without looking...There were 14-16 groups (unsure how many) I was in group 3...Once your in you can stay in...You were limited to only 3 trees until every group was allowed in...So staying in after selecting 3 trees didn't change the game...the only thing that changed is that after 10 minutes they allowed more groups in... I got in at 10:30 and several dream trees were already gone...by 11:30 mostly everything was sold...What remains were the ok stuff and the $6K plus stuff...All azaleas sold, All Japanese Maples, Beeches Sold...

I was not a fan of the 3 tree limit rule expecially because there were about 2 more trees I wanted but I could not buy them...One hour later they were sold... But these were the rules and i guess it help calibrate the experience for most...I got 100% lucky and did nothing tactical to gain a competitive advantage...Perhaps others had their hands in the cookie jar not me...All luck of the draw...Within this consideration a lot of people were devastated if they drew in a group that was called in late.

Thanks for the explanation! It seems a reasonable approach. There really had to be a limit to the number of trees purchased (initially, at least) or someone with deep pockets could have gotten in early and single-handedly bought up all or most of the collection.

Chris

Thanks for the explanation! It seems a reasonable approach. There really had to be a limit to the number of trees purchased (initially, at least) or someone with deep pockets could have gotten in early and single-handedly bought up all or most of the collection.

Chris

Agreed! Your right...imagine if the first 20 people before me were able to pick unlimited amount of trees? Perhaps the two that I was able to pull off for myself and MACH5 would have also been sold! Same for everyone else behind me...Show would have been over by 10:30 instead...

Overall it was as fair as it could be and Doug really went above and beyond to maintain as much integrity to the process as he could...I mean that...Even the Bonsai "brand names" were online waiting...It didn't matter who you were same rule for everyone...

I was able to snag a superb Japanese white beech forest thanks to the kindness of CHUCHIN himself! Thanks again bud! Great seeing you there! :eek:

MACH5, would love to see the forest you scored. Thanks

I agree it was very fair. I got the japanese maple forrest and the only raw juniper that wasn't styled. It's huge picture did none these trees any good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 128
I agree it was very fair. I got the japanese maple forrest and the only raw juniper that wasn't styled. It's huge picture did none these trees any good.

Hey Paul! Nice meeting you today, I was the jealous fellow behind you in the checkout line. Gorgeous tree, please post what you do with it. My girlfriend also found an unstyled juniper though!

Z84xDT9l.jpg

I wanted to go pretty bad... but I am pretty certain going on a trip like that right now would have caused me to go through a divorce the same week I got married... Congrats to all who scored trees from that place- some of the most impressive stock I have ever seen for sale in America!

Hey Paul! Nice meeting you today, I was the jealous fellow behind you in the checkout line. Gorgeous tree, please post what you do with it. My girlfriend also found an unstyled juniper though!

Z84xDT9l.jpg

Nice to meet you too man yes I liked that one as well had great deadwood for the side.

Wish I was there...

I have no idea why but my adrenaline was pumping just reading this thread, I guess that is the epitome of vicarious!

PaulK and B_bubba, those are both really great looking junipers, Paulk yours' really is awesome looking, even in its raw state. What a cool event, I hope this happens more often, I'm starting a savings account specifically for another moment like this...

I have no idea why but my adrenaline was pumping just reading this thread, I guess that is the epitome of vicarious!

PaulK and B_bubba, those are both really great looking junipers, Paulk yours' really is awesome looking, even in its raw state. What a cool event, I hope this happens more often, I'm starting a savings account specifically for another moment like this...

Some others may have made their way home with me also…

JzP97aIl.jpg

E8DxA47l.jpg

A lot repotting its warmer here so I'm starting to repot mine tomorrow soils looked pretty bad/old

No kidding, hmm, well, I may wait a bit longer, it's still quite cold here in PA. I'll be excited to get that white pine into a proper pot!

Congrats guys!!!

All the plants pics I've seen, I don't mind buying. Green with envy here. Please keep the pics coming! :D

The sale was good... coming from Toronto (about 8 hr drive) I thought I would seem crazy but there were many people who came from much farther than that. Fortunately I had the coveted Orange Bracelet (first group in!).

It was a very intense situation, having 10 minutes to pick the three trees with others flocking around. While I knew what I wanted from the pics, none of that mattered until you actually inspect the trees in person. Very intense, split second decisions had to be made. After I pulled the tag on my azalea I found a better one for the same price but in respect of the rules I stuck with my choice. Still, I am happy with what I got given my modest budget.

The rules were frustrating at times but fair. I respect that Doug did his best to give the "little guy" a fair chance. The staff were all very helpful and did their jobs well.

Tree #1 (the pomegranate) was a great deal and much sought after. It is completely hollow and I am thinking of filling it with cement.

Attachments

• IMG_20140315_005936.jpg
    IMG_20140315_005936.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20140315_005522.jpg
    IMG_20140315_005522.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20140315_005623.jpg
    IMG_20140315_005623.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 118

This tree has huge potential and was on my short list. It was grafted with probably itoigawa and then looks like it was let to run wild. Needs lots of time to grow and backbud but has huge potential and was a steal. Hard to appreciate how big it is from the pics!

The sale was good... coming from Toronto (about 8 hr drive) I thought I would seem crazy but there were many people who came from much farther than that. Fortunately I had the coveted Orange Bracelet (first group in!).

It was a very intense situation, having 10 minutes to pick the three trees with others flocking around. While I knew what I wanted from the pics, none of that mattered until you actually inspect the trees in person. Very intense, split second decisions had to be made. After I pulled the tag on my azalea I found a better one for the same price but in respect of the rules I stuck with my choice. Still, I am happy with what I got given my modest budget.

The rules were frustrating at times but fair. I respect that Doug did his best to give the "little guy" a fair chance. The staff were all very helpful and did their jobs well.

Tree #1 (the pomegranate) was a great deal and much sought after. It is completely hollow and I am thinking of filling it with cement.

Beautiful azalea you got there! Love that nebari.

MACH5, would love to see the forest you scored. Thanks

Here is the Japanese white beech forest I took home. The photo still does not capture the highly dimensional quality and the physical presence of this piece. It is roughly 27"high x 33"wide x 30"deep. I still think it needs quite a bit of work. Entire canopy needs to be reorganized and edited quite a bit. Eventually I will remove the ugly black screen. I do love the granite slab is planted on.

I went to the event with a short list of what I was interested in. This forest was not one of them, but upon seeing it in person my plans changed! Most of what I was interested in were Japanese maples but those all sold in the first couple of rounds. Oh well next time... oh yes I suspect that somehow there will be a next time! ;)

BTW great pick ups by Paul and amkhalid!! Wish I could have met you guys :)

Love it M5! It looks like a very nice addition to your collection. :) Can't wait to see where you take it!

The whole sale looked like it was full of incredible trees. Congrats to everyone who was able to go and purchase great trees. :)

Here is the Japanese white beech forest I took home. The photo still does not capture the highly dimensional quality and the physical presence of this piece. It is roughly 27"high x 33"wide x 30"deep. I still think it needs quite a bit of work. Entire canopy needs to be reorganized and edited quite a bit. Eventually I will remove the ugly black screen. I do love the granite slab is planted on.

I went to the event with a short list of what I was interested in. This forest was not one of them, but upon seeing it in person my plans changed! Most of what I was interested in were Japanese maples but those all sold in the first couple of rounds. Oh well next time... oh yes I suspect that somehow there will be a next time! ;)

BTW great pick ups by Paul and amkhalid!! Wish I could have met you guys :)

Really nice group. I was admiring that plus the chuhin informal beech but Japanese Beech are touch-and-go in my climate. One thing's for sure - it will be a lot of fun work!

Wish I could have stuck around and chatted with more people too considering it seemed like every bonsai person east of the Mississippi was there. But by around 11:00 I could see my wife was sick of sitting in the tent drinking cider :)

Did you have any issues bringing these trees through custom when passing the border?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom