Kong vs. Pall bonsai-duel

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
By the way Walter, all frozen birds are dead the last time i looked....'dead frozen bird'?

That's because you've never been in Chicago in January when the wind is blowing. Pretty much everything is frozen then, regardless of whether it is living or dead.

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
'Do not forsake me bonsai Nuthouse'

The Wednesday forum will bring Walter Pall
If I'm a man I must be brave
And I must face that deadly bonsai designer
Or lie a coward, a caveman coward
Or lie a coward in my grave.

Last edited:

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Walter,
I am impressed by your Hibiscus and it's size shown in the gallery. Very nice.
I acquired a Hibiscus "Snow Rose" last year during a Florida show, a green/white/pink varigated leaf tropical version.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/11418/

It had been worked on for bonsai for some years I think. It did well for me last growing season after I repotted into better soil ( but no flowers) and seems to be doing pretty good this winter, and growing, so far under my light racks indoors. About 18" high.

Do you have any helpful hints on flowering in our zones(5)? and, how have you overwintered yours for 30 yrs?
Dale

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Dale,

here you see how we overwinter it. It is at the window of our living room from middle of October until end of April. This is quite sunny and it blooms right there in winter. Then it goes outside onto the shelves in a very sunny place. Full sun all day is very important. Hibiscus have to be watered a lot though and twice a day when the temperatures are over 80 degrees (F) and especially when it is windy. Otherwise they need lots of feed and often, meaning about every two weeks. Then they grow like weeds and flower strongly.

Kong,

why exactly until Deceber 3 and not immediately?? Is it because you will have your digital camera by then?

Attachments

• 2008-01-DSC_1670v.jpg
    2008-01-DSC_1670v.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 110

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
My photographers are shooting an assignment at the moment Walter, you will have to wait please. This will give you a chance to fertilize your tree a little.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Walter, KK has a 1955 Brownie Hawkeye camera and he's having trouble finding film.

Harry

Attachments

• 7154a.jpg
    7154a.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 15

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Do you have any helpful hints on flowering in our zones(5)?

You could send them down to me to care for during the winter :) They could hang out with my hibiscus and teach them some manners! Aside from a lot of light, water and humidity, don't forget that they love acidic soil. Mine thrive with Miracid.

hibiscus1.jpg

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The flowers are a bit of a problem with hibiscus. They are way too big. One cannot reduce the size of flowers btw. The proportions are not right or a small to medium sized tree. I prefer the clearcut shape of the original form over other varieties.
My hibiscus was only 16 centimeters high in the beginning of the eighties. In my studies I found the statement that a trunk will not grow in length, it will only get thicker over time. Well, the hibiscus does not know this. It is now double the original size and far outgrew the shohin size. It was never trunk-chopped, btw. so it is certainly possible to have a very small tree with some trunk caliper which was never chopped. It will take you thirty years though.
I had a similar experience with a lilac. it also outgrew shohin size; the trunk elongated. Hibiscus and lilac are not trees they are shrubs. This may be the common denominator. With real trees I experienced in general that they actually did not grow in height in the trunk over 30 years. Some botanist here who knows what is going on?

Attachments

• 2006-12-Dsc_2588v.jpg
    2006-12-Dsc_2588v.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 2008-06-NSC_5919ofv.jpg
    2008-06-NSC_5919ofv.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So where is Kong's tree? I thought today was the day. I am on the edge of my seat. I took the last week off because I could not concentrate on anything.

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dale,

here you see how we overwinter it. It is at the window of our living room from middle of October until end of April. This is quite sunny and it blooms right there in winter. Then it goes outside onto the shelves in a very sunny place. Full sun all day is very important. Hibiscus have to be watered a lot though and twice a day when the temperatures are over 80 degrees (F) and especially when it is windy. Otherwise they need lots of feed and often, meaning about every two weeks. Then they grow like weeds and flower strongly.

?

Gotcha Walter. BTW, That is the picture from your gallery that impressed me with it's actual size.
Mine is under fluorescent lights from early October this year, and my tropicals usually get out about first of May .
Yes, I noted I needed to water it often.
My windows are all FULL of other tropicals :eek: but it does seem to be doing good under close lights for about 15-16 hours a day.
Thanks,
Dale

Dale Cochoy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You could send them down to me to care for during the winter :) They could hang out with my hibiscus and teach them some manners! Aside from a lot of light, water and humidity, don't forget that they love acidic soil. Mine thrive with Miracid.

hibiscus1.jpg

Nut,
We have a hibiscus planted in the ground next to our deck steps here in Ohio ( zone 5) . I cut it back to the ground stubs each winter. It always gets about 5 feet tall and flowers in the late summer, but they are 'blah' pale pinkish/salmon colors. I'm looking forward to the bright red.
Yes, big, but thats ok on a tree or two. Heck, if I can stand those huge satsuki flowers I can stand to get a bit bigger yet! :D

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
So where is Kong's tree? I thought today was the day.

That was my suspicion from the beginning; there wont be one. I would jump up and down (risking broken floor boards) with joy to see one.

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
Duel update

Everything is on schedule. Now some news for Walter Pall. Due to overcast skies, I will be entering two (2) pictures of same tree. One taken by a professional whose experience and skill level is such that "he does his own thing" so minor changes and enhancing could be expected and I am smart enough to keep my mouth shut. After all, we don't complain when we look at the centerfolds do we boys? The second picture will be taken with available light (natural) so you will be the judge. Skip school, play hooky, relax and enjoy the show and may the best tree win. Good Luck Walter!

Marc S

Yamadori
Reaction score
Everything is on schedule. Now some news for Walter Pall. Due to overcast skies, I will be entering two (2) pictures of same tree. One taken by a professional whose experience and skill level is such that "he does his own thing" so minor changes and enhancing could be expected and I am smart enough to keep my mouth shut. After all, we don't complain when we look at the centerfolds do we boys? The second picture will be taken with available light (natural) so you will be the judge. Skip school, play hooky, relax and enjoy the show and may the best tree win. Good Luck Walter!

The whole competition thing is very bad for Bonsai. I've seen people ruining trees because they were too eager to get them 'ready' for the next 'competition'. It's really stupid. Bonsai isn't a sport you know.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
The whole competition thing is very bad for Bonsai. I've seen people ruining trees because they were too eager to get them 'ready' for the next 'competition'. It's really stupid. Bonsai isn't a sport you know.

Yep, and what will it prove? If Kong wins that means he has 1 tree better than 1 of Walters 500+ trees. But we all know who has the best collection and is the better artist. If Walter wins then so what, he is use to winning big awards.

I am excited to see what Kong puts up. I have seen KK posting for a few years now and 99% of what is posted is another persons trees, so I am curious to see what all the hype is about.

Ok, carry on! haha

Jason

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
Sport...I only wish. Marc, this is life or death. As Marshal Kane had a crisis of conscience and decided to stay in Hadleyville, I too must hold my ground. The Pall Gang is due to arrive on the noon train tomorrow. Now Marc you can stay and help if you have a change of heart or you can get out now and live another day.

Now Jason, you are young whippersnapper, I willn't be needing your kind so you run along and see that the women are safe.

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
This is more exiciting that my buttonwood is unbuttoned what should I do.

Harry

Top Bottom