USDA Zone
6a

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Very nice lower half part.

After the first branch on the right, the movement is not as nice: ever thought of removing what's after the second branch on the right?

Something like:

DSC01579.JPG

Well, not exactly like that, probably not so wide, but that's the idea.

And the new leader (after the jin in red and white) could be different: I have the feeling, from this 2-D photo, that the beginning of the trunk goes backward. Perhaps turning it a bit, and changing the soil angle plantation (more to the front, esp. since tghe "new leader" seems to be a back branch) would be to consider...

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lance, do you have a current picture!

With the puffy foliage from the last picture, I can’t tell much, but...

You have a curvy trunk. But at least some of the branches look to be straight.

A rule of thumb: straight trunk —-> straight branches

Curvy trunk —-> curvy branches.

Makes the tree “consistent”.

Note: not “Adair’s Rule”, I don’t make this stuff up. I’m just passing along stuff I’ve learned from people who make better bonsai than me.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sneak peak pot

Probably right back in the current container.:( Only a couple suitable ones on hand. No bonus/raise this year, dental/health down a hair...guess that's my perk for management? And I get to work overtime for free! The boss wheeled thru with a brand new Corvette convertible Wednesday!!!! Almost lost my shit!!!!......aahhhh....where was I ? Now I think I hate Vettes! So no cool unglazed pots this year, but it's just 2 months in, and some @WeeMac tax money coming in "via digitalus" so I might sneak one in with the yearly 400-500 dollar soil budget....shhhhh!!!!

DSC02365.JPG

@Adair M some wire and a "little" curvy.....;):) A little trim of downwards growth here and there at repot and maybe a little bit of strategic cutback mid-summer? Pretty solid 3 months of growing season after the heat of late July, early August.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Vettes are over rated bud ?
I picked up a little screwy one , mites got it pretty bad , I like It though , another ishii family shimpaku , this one was started by mas
B71BD5DC-2DB8-4360-87FB-49B346FE53A5.png

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Honestly? Give me back my '84 RX-7 with todays aftermarket and anything short of a Bugatti or @Adair M Tessie, and I'm collecting pink slips all night!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yes, these little Ishii junipers are fun little things. I guess a little wonky looking, but cool character for a small little tree. I really have to work on the deadwood that goes up the trunk to keep it open. And wire more/better. Does have cool little roots for a juniper I thought don't think it was more than a $150....o_Oo_O:eek::eek::eek::eek: Sometimes I laugh when I pay for trees, like I'm out of my melon.

I like yours @jriddell88 .....I look at that 7 inch mark and say....there's 5" extra up top....hehehehe insert @M. Frary here......heheheheeee
get a jack on it and smoosh it to grow out an extended, branched bush.:p:cool::cool::cool:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Probably right back in the current container.:( Only a couple suitable ones on hand. No bonus/raise this year, dental/health down a hair...guess that's my perk for management? And I get to work overtime for free! The boss wheeled thru with a brand new Corvette convertible Wednesday!!!! Almost lost my shit!!!!......aahhhh....where was I ? Now I think I hate Vettes! So no cool unglazed pots this year, but it's just 2 months in, and some @WeeMac tax money coming in "via digitalus" so I might sneak one in with the yearly 400-500 dollar soil budget....shhhhh!!!!

View attachment 179121

@Adair M some wire and a "little" curvy.....;):) A little trim of downwards growth here and there at repot and maybe a little bit of strategic cutback mid-summer? Pretty solid 3 months of growing season after the heat of late July, early August.
It looks nice and healthy! As you know without me having to tell you, it’s too bushy! I can see hints of a cool twisty, curvy trunk, but I can’t see it! So, yeah, start with the downward growing “hangers”, and lets see what there is to see!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Vettes are over rated bud ?
I picked up a little screwy one , mites got it pretty bad , I like It though , another ishii family shimpaku , this one was started by mas
View attachment 179124
Nice trunk, but I’d be worried about the health. Maybe it’s just the picture, but right about the 6.5 inch level, the foliage is different above and below that level. Above 6.5 inches, the foliage is thick, reasonably dark green, and runners appear to be trying to escape the canopy. Below 6.5 inches, the foliage is gray, thin, and no signs of growth, and no runners.

To my eye, it appears to be a classic case of a too dense canopy up top, blocking all the sunlight from the lower and interior branches. Those lower branches are close to dying out, if they haven’t already done so. The
Top needs to be thinned out! Allow sunlight to pierce the canopy!

I have an easy way to tell if my Shimpaku junipers need thinning: from directly overhead, I look down through the foliage. If I can see the soil surface pretty clearly, it’s thin enough. But, if there are places where the foliage completely blocks my view of the surface of the pot and/or soil, it needs thinning. If I can’t thru, sunlight cannot get in.

And, that grayish color? Check for spider mites!

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice trunk, but I’d be worried about the health. And, that grayish color? Check for spider mites!

mites got it pretty bad ,m

Yup just got this one ,icould tell from the pictures it had a bad case of spider mites ,when I received it ,it was one of the worst cases I’ve seen ,so essentially I probably saved this tree from the wood pile . This tree is currently isolated from my cold frame and other trees at the moment ,told the guy to check his trees lol , he had no idea !, it’s over due on trimming , and it’s sitting in muck , so a thin and repot here soon, or the lowers are goners if they aren’t already , my elms are starting to show signs of life , won’t be long

Top Bottom