Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Got my head stock and center in so hopefully I plan to make a couple positives this weekend if the weather cooperates.

20210210_133459.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am really impressed with your carved feet. Any tricks here or is it just hand carved?
Everything is done buy freehand. This step is one of the most time consuming as I try my best to make each foot a mirror of itself, then try to make each foot like each other. Once they are on mounted on the pot then I start the detailing. Once I have the detailing done I place the pot on the wheel and set the contact points on the feet and rotate the pot. This is when you can see if the feet are equal in height as the pot's rim will bounce up and down if there is a taller foot while it rotates. I then have to reshape the taller foot and do the process it over and over until the rim doesn't bounce or just a little as it's barely noticeable when it's not in motion. This pot took me about 4hrs start to finish. I found that this clay is a lot different from the Standard #710 clay. I was used to using the #710 and now I have to get used to the #153............it seems like it's always a learning process with clay/pottery.

Here's a close up of each foot. They are very close but not a 100% mirror image. To me that's ok as this is a hand made pot, and it's absolutely normal to have imperfections, this is what makes each pot so unique.

20210211_112257.jpg20210211_112248.jpg20210211_112236.jpg

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am really impressed with your carved feet. Any tricks here or is it just hand carved?
Same question. I've found very little good information on pot feet, barring that some people create a positive, then a negative mold in something like plaster, which you can then press clay in to form feet.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Same question. I've found very little good information on pot feet, barring that some people create a positive, then a negative mold in something like plaster, which you can then press clay in to form feet.
I thought about making feet molds but decided not to. The way I see it is every pot is different and requires different feet to match the pot.

Also these feet have undercuts and with a foot so small it would be to hard to make a press mold unless the positive is all 90degree angles. Make a mold of that and reshape it when it's out of the mold. But then you are limited to that foot shape and size that comes out of the mold. It won't match every pot you make, so that's why I don't see the point to making one. Now if you have a specific mold for a pot and make a mold of specific feet to match that specific pot, then yes that could be a way to go.

I finished this pot around midnight last night, I told myself I had enough. There are still a few spots I feel need just a little more touching up before I let it go bone dry. Feet and glaze can make or break a pot, getting them both right is the hard part.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Finished this one last night. I like this pot a lot especially the feet. Still trying to get used to this clay. The wheel doesn't have enough torque to work this clay. I think it's time to start back looking for parts to build my own mini wheel.

20210212_094619.jpg20210212_094630.jpg20210212_094712.jpg20210212_094652.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Finished this one last night. I like this pot a lot especially the feet. Still trying to get used to this clay. The wheel doesn't have enough torque to work this clay. I think it's time to start back looking for parts to build my own mini wheel.

View attachment 353958View attachment 353959View attachment 353960View attachment 353961
I think this is my favorite so far. I concur, there is not a mini wheel I can find to do the job. I am thinking of making one also.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you are better than to....

Well...

Imagine if we sourced all of our timber from bonsai trees.
You have yourself in a similar situation.

You are too good to be tied back by a gimmick.
Off the hump, you're churning out 2 a minute ish, minus feet.

I miss Anthony.

Good Day!

Sorce

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think you are better than to....

Well...

Imagine if we sourced all of our timber from bonsai trees.
You have yourself in a similar situation.

You are too good to be tied back by a gimmick.
Off the hump, you're churning out 2 a minute ish, minus feet.

I miss Anthony.

Good Day!

Sorce
LOL, your post does sound a lot like something Anthony would post, but you lost me really. Where is @Anthony now? I haven't seen him post in a while.

Last edited:

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@sorce I know what throwing off the hump is, but not to sure about the 2 per minute part minus the feet. I suppose the gimmick is the mini wheel. I think trying to make these small pots off the hump would be a challenge since the pots would be high up with nothing to brace against when defining with the tools.

In all honesty I enjoy taking my time making these small pots. I enjoy it so much that I'm in the process of gathering the parts I need to make a better mini wheel. For me its not about the quantity, it's about the quality. I'm curious what will be said once they are glazed and I'm able to take some presentable pics.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It's taking some time to gather all parts to build the new mini wheel......I finally got the motor and bracket in today. Still waiting for more parts to arrive.

20210225_125818.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
On your way!! Yahoo
I was able to find a 12cm banding wheel. I plan to use that as the wheel head, but won't know the bore size until it arrives..........if I am able to pull it apart. Got the timing pulley in the mail as well. I already have several timing belts here.

Getting there slowly!

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I was able to find a 12cm banding wheel. I plan to use that as the wheel head, but won't know the bore size until it arrives..........if I am able to pull it apart. Got the timing pulley in the mail as well. I already have several timing belts here.

Getting there slowly!
12cm 😱😱. In Pennsylvania we call that “wee tiny little “. Hard to imagine using that. Although I’ve made some wee tiny little woodcarvings. 😎

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
12cm 😱😱. In Pennsylvania we call that “wee tiny little “. Hard to imagine using that. Although I’ve made some wee tiny little woodcarvings. 😎
Lol, this is what I'm using now. I just hope the new motor has enough torque to make this project worth it.

20210225_140810.jpg

Top Bottom