Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I sub bonsai-U. Bjorn is more supportive of bonsai clubs and I find Mirai videos too long-winded. I don't want to spend a ton of time watching videos, I just want a refresher or to learn a different way of trying something then I want to go out and do it.

I'm in a very actve club, volunteer at a collection, and I'm in two secret bonsai study groups. I also have a class with Bjorn when he comes to Milwaukee at the end of August.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
secret 🕵️? why so, out of curiosity?

I swear I'm not following you around on posts, we're just the only two still up this late
Well one is invite only. I am also working on a study group for younger members too. Right now it's mostly just a group text. Some of us have too many obligations to make it to club meetings on Saturdays in the non-retired crowd.

I'm not either I have chronic insomnia and the Lunesta isn't working. I'm trying to not buy more trees in the middle of the night.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I sub to Mirai Live for three simple reasons: my teacher has trained with Ryan, so the "lineage" there is more consistent, I prefer conifers, which seem to be Ryan's focus, and it's a reasonably short drive away from me, so I could visit/do intensives if I should chose to. I'm interested in Bonsai-U as well, for a number of reasons, but partly because I do really like the traditional Japanese style that Bjorn tends to specialize in, but I haven't used my trial just yet.

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I prefer conifers, ... and it's a reasonably short drive away from me, so I could visit/do intensives if I should chose to ... I do really like the traditional Japanese style that Bjorn tends to specialize in

A little off-topic, but in-person classes with Michael Hagedorn, Matt Reel, or Bobby Curtright might be up your alley in that case, and they're all in the Portland area

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I love this thread. I have Mirai live for about 6 months and learned a ton. I figured I had what I needed for a beginner and just needed to start practicing on real trees. After reading this I might get bonsai U this winter and learn the basics again from another source.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
A little off-topic, but in-person classes with Michael Hagedorn, Matt Reel, or Bobby Curtright might be up your alley in that case, and they're all in the Portland area
Classes with Michael are definitely on my list! I've been taking classes with a local teacher who is somewhat new to the scene, but will be taking a class with Tony Fajarillo at Bonsai Northwest this October. I hadn't seen the name of the other two, but will keep them in mind.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I honestly find it hard to find condensed, synthesized info on Mirai Live. Can anyone who has tried both speak to whether this is different on Bonsai-U?

I understand Ryan's reluctance to give straightforward answers, as I tend to be the same way, but sometimes it's what you need!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
i'm from malaysia . Is mirai live better or bonsai-u in terms of knowledge for beginners and which one is worth it . And can the videos be downloaded for future reference and can you have 1 on 1 consultation?
YouTube mirai live and BSOP are available with seasonal fundamentals. You can watch them several times over at your leisure. Since I’m only 5-6 months into bonsai, I consume several hours of teaching daily. I also watch the same lectures/demos over and over and over… and over.

My approach is to choose species, learn everything about it in two phases (development and refinement), acquire tree, apply knowledge by working it, then continue. Juniper Procumbens is what I started with. I’m onto cryptomeria now and acquiring it is a couple days.

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I sub to both and echo some of the more mentioned points; Bjorn being concise while Ryan teaches in a lecture-style format. Both approaches have their place in my journey/education and having spent time with both, I like them as people too!

If you’re asking about content per dollar, I’d have to give the edge to Mirai as they do put out more content(and a more extensive current library). Additionally, the upcoming Mirai app is free for subscribers so that really pushes their subscription’s value even further.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Additionally, the upcoming Mirai app is free for subscribers so that really pushes their subscription’s value even further.
I've heard Ryan mention this a few times. Do you know anything more specific about the app? Features, release timeline, etc?

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've heard Ryan mention this a few times. Do you know anything more specific about the app? Features, release timeline, etc?
It’s released to beta testers and expectation is 2 months of testing. The initial release features is supposed to be linear but becomes more robust over time and can sync up to your collection(for push reminders, species specific schedule, etc.), their knowledge library and your climate zone. Ryan and I were discussing his rather long effort to manually classify climate zones for the whole world for the app.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I would think that you could start collecting relevant data from users--when they repot, prune, wire, etc--to expedite the classifications. It's obvious that our current climate mapping info is woefully unequipped for bonsai, as it's primarily designed for crops. It sounds like it may be a good help for some of my "timing" anxiety, and a good reason to keep me subbed to Mirai Live throughout the year (I've tended to sub for a month at a time when I'm feeling like diving deep)

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I sub to both and echo some of the more mentioned points; Bjorn being concise while Ryan teaches in a lecture-style format. Both approaches have their place in my journey/education and having spent time with both, I like them as people too!

If you’re asking about content per dollar, I’d have to give the edge to Mirai as they do put out more content(and a more extensive current library). Additionally, the upcoming Mirai app is free for subscribers so that really pushes their subscription’s value even further.
What’s the ETA on the app? He always touted it when I was subscribed and it was supposed to drop this spring.

Sorry I kept reading the thread and see you answered it already.

Top Bottom