My first, but not last, BONSAI STAND build.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Check out these plans from Fine Woodworking from 20 years ago (!) I've been holding on to them as the foundation for a bonsai stand I've been thinking about making. Your floating top reminded me of this design. I thought it was interesting how they used walnut for the top and curly maple for the legs, and how the sweep of the legs is met by the bevel of the top board. It might give you some ideas! If you want the plans, shoot me a PM and I'll email them to you.

View attachment 240711
Oh yeah! Very cool! I’d love to see those plans just for reference, but I’d prob make something a bit different! Send a pm now.

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Beautiful wood, but I am not aware of anything called "African Tiger Eye Mahagony".
Well, that's how I was raised and taught that it was called through the 60's when installed.
I found this on ...ebay, but I think what the tiger part is referring to, and forgive for for the lack of proper terms
but the flame like wandering ribbons, rather than gentle sloping to straight ribbons...
1556928522516.png
I'm sure you're aware of the shall we call it "polarized" effect, when your eye is trained on a ribbon
and as you pass by that ribbon changes from light to dark, or visa versa. It is magnified or exacerbated
in this wood termed "tiger eye", and may be possibly an adjective complimentary to more than this species of wood.
It was put in our church in the 50's or earlier and the fire marshal said that it was a fire hazzard how it covered the beams.
Down it came, free for the taking, and my Dad loaded his station wagon up load after load including the matching crown moulding.

I like your live edge idea and am currently working on just that, though locally harvested black walnut :)

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don’t have the tools, nor the talent, to make a quality stand. But a live edge stand would be really, really cool in my humble opinion. Better yet, a live edge for the top and also live edges on the outside of the legs.

I’d love to purchase something like that if there’s a woodworker around here willing and able to make something like that....hmmmmm...... :)

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Oso. Check out post #3. What are your thoughts on the questions posed?
I haven't given it much thought before now. I always like walnut,
But to the color idea, it brought to mind how I was taken with Pavel Slovak's yard stands. The undercarriage is painted carmen red and had a dark colored (stone, I'm guessing) top. It could be any color, but the idea could also fly as a stand - the brightly colored undercarriage and dark top could give a feel of the bonsai hovering/floating. In the style of the chobudai you made (dark undercarriage and brightly colored top edge) is a little tougher for me to envision, but there are possibilities, but maybe with a slab/stone potted bonsai on top or one in a dark footed pot? Dan Robinson has a mountain hemlock in a shiny, tall turquoise glazed pot - the same dramatic effect could come from a dark/nondescript pot sitting on a colored stand.
Lots of interesting possibilities.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think what the tiger part is referring to, and forgive for for the lack of proper terms
but the flame like wandering ribbons, rather than gentle sloping to straight ribbons...

All four Khaya species produce wood that is close enough to be indistinguishable from each other without close examination. I don't know how to tell them apart. It is probably Khaya ivorensis only because that is the one most harvested and commercially available.

As far as the flame figuring is concerned, it is a combination of the way the tree grows, and the way the wood is cut. Word of the day: chatoyancy, which is often used in gemology to describe refractory light properties with some gem stones like opal - and you guessed it - tiger's eye. Chatoyancy can be caused when a tree grows tall, and the weight of the tree compresses the wood grains of the lower trunk. It is also apparent in a wood burl (frequently seen in American walnut) where an injury or infection causes tight callus growth. If you have a log that is displaying chatoyancy, you can cut it in a plain sawn pattern to highlight the unique look of the wood.

So why wouldn't you want to do this always? Cutting in a flat pattern on wood leaves the wood particularly vulnerable to splintering or cracking. This is why with many fancy hardwoods a flame pattern grain is only sold as a veneer - because it is expected that you would glue it to a stronger, dimensionally stable hardwood backing. It is also why you don't see flame pattern mahogany or walnut musical instruments... but you see plenty of flame pattern maple musical instruments. The grain on hard maple is so tight that even a flame pattern board will be much less likely to crack than a more open grain wood.

grainpattern_illo.jpg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I haven't given it much thought before now. I always like walnut,
But to the color idea, it brought to mind how I was taken with Pavel Slovak's yard stands. The undercarriage is painted carmen red and had a dark colored (stone, I'm guessing) top. It could be any color, but the idea could also fly as a stand - the brightly colored undercarriage and dark top could give a feel of the bonsai hovering/floating. In the style of the chobudai you made (dark undercarriage and brightly colored top edge) is a little tougher for me to envision, but there are possibilities, but maybe with a slab/stone potted bonsai on top or one in a dark footed pot? Dan Robinson has a mountain hemlock in a shiny, tall turquoise glazed pot - the same dramatic effect could come from a dark/nondescript pot sitting on a colored stand.
Lots of interesting possibilities.
I LOVE walnut. By far my favorite species to work with.

With all of the brightly colored pots I’ve seen, I thought for sure a hint of color in the stand could be, at the very least, thought provoking. However, too much is too much, and I could see how a saturation of colors could take away from the tree and make a lopsided composition. It’s a fine line that’s for sure. I’m going to make another stand soon for one of my trees, but stick with a neutral tone on walnut. It’d have to be the absolute right tree for a stand with a bold color that’s for sure. But that tree is out there!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
My design methods almost always include using paint or some other color to accent the wood being used. I’ve had an idea for a while to have an accent color besides black, to be painted on a few key edges of a stand. Could you see something like that be used or of benefit for certain bonsai display? Like maybe your most recent Satsuki “kinsai” exposed root azalea? Or do you think it would take away from the composition?
Tough question. I think the simple answer is, “it depends”. The challenge we have in the West with making components for Bonsai display is the need to be noticed (think “left shark” from the super bowl show a few years ago). These stands command attention, which, on its own is fine. But when you are displaying Bonsai, everything else should typically play a subtle supporting role. The more difficult answer is trying to find the way to apply restraint, a touch of detail, that the viewer may not even notice at first, but on closer inspection, starts to improve the overall effect of the entire composition.

For example, suppose you used a darker stain so the grain doesn’t stand out like you’d want in living room furniture as a focal piece, but instead is subtle enough that you’d have to almost look for it. Then, take a router and run a grove around the edge, and put a streak of red paint in the groove, but not even all the way across...just in a spot that suggests the direction of the tree, or reflects the character branch. Could you force yourself to provide the supporting role and not insist on being the left shark in the display? Look at some of the original American potters, a certain scroll painter, and a few stand makers and you’ll see what I mean. Some people love the novel, but in a formal display, it’s tough to pull off.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tough question. I think the simple answer is, “it depends”. The challenge we have in the West with making components for Bonsai display is the need to be noticed (think “left shark” from the super bowl show a few years ago). These stands command attention, which, on its own is fine. But when you are displaying Bonsai, everything else should typically play a subtle supporting role. The more difficult answer is trying to find the way to apply restraint, a touch of detail, that the viewer may not even notice at first, but on closer inspection, starts to improve the overall effect of the entire composition.

For example, suppose you used a darker stain so the grain doesn’t stand out like you’d want in living room furniture as a focal piece, but instead is subtle enough that you’d have to almost look for it. Then, take a router and run a grove around the edge, and put a streak of red paint in the groove, but not even all the way across...just in a spot that suggests the direction of the tree, or reflects the character branch. Could you force yourself to provide the supporting role and not insist on being the left shark in the display? Look at some of the original American potters, a certain scroll painter, and a few stand makers and you’ll see what I mean. Some people love the novel, but in a formal display, it’s tough to pull off.
Thanks for the thoughtful answer Brian. I love your left shark analogy. No I don’t want to be left shark! I’ve got loads of ideas swimming in my head and will be making more stands regardless. I will def be using some of the challenges and questions you posed during the next build. Especially the idea of inducing movement through the right accent of color.

Sergio’s recent j beech forest with acrylic table really struck me, as I love boundary pushing of traditional forms. I’ve also been really enjoying looking at Austin Heitzman stands, though in some cases I feel like his stands are definitely left shark. Beautiful, but left shark.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

And really. If you ever have an idea that’s a bit off the cuff. Let me know and I’d love to help make your vision a reality.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I’ve also been really enjoying looking at Austin Heitzman stands, though in some cases I feel like his stands are definitely left shark. Beautiful, but left shark.
I don’t see his work as “left shark” in most cases; I think he has it figured out. But there are a couple others who haven’t.
And thanks for the offer, I may contact you at some point. Your style may work well with the Kinsai...

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don’t see his work as “left shark” in most cases; I think he has it figured out. But there are a couple others who haven’t.
And thanks for the offer, I may contact you at some point. Your style may work well with the Kinsai...
He really has. Especially when paired with world class trees.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looking good @Bonsai Nut! Were you in the middle of a remodel when I was there last year?
The white countertops really set off the wood beautifully. You have great taste; we have the same backsplash tiles in our kitchen?.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
One thing to keep in mind when designing stands for bonsai is the stand should be made genetic enough so that it can be used with multiple different trees. Over their lifetimes, trees grow, get redesigned, put in different pots. So a unique stand that is specifically made for one tree, in a certain pot would have limited use. Most of us, I believe, would prefer to have a stand that could be used with several trees.

I really like the floating table top. The coffee table with the red accents looks good in that setting, but I feel it would not be appropriate for a bonsai stand.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One thing to keep in mind when designing stands for bonsai is the stand should be made genetic enough so that it can be used with multiple different trees. Over their lifetimes, trees grow, get redesigned, put in different pots. So a unique stand that is specifically made for one tree, in a certain pot would have limited use. Most of us, I believe, would prefer to have a stand that could be used with several trees.

I really like the floating table top. The coffee table with the red accents looks good in that setting, but I feel it would not be appropriate for a bonsai stand.
Kind of what I figured. Especially if I were to add some off the wall color or accent. Someday I would still love to collaborate on a “one off” display. I’ll def be doing lots more stands utilizing neutral tones and sleek assemblies. Thanks for commenting Adair.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Top Bottom