Newest addition, japanese white pine

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Adair!

I want to see this thing progress as well as possible.
I think its good to have all the info at the thread! Even if it is repeated elsewhere!

Much appreciated!

Sorce

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Tried to give a few quick tweaks tonight in between bed time stories and dirty dishes. Tried to bring the branches down to give a more consistent appearance, trimmed a few hanging needles and tried to compact the left side of the crown. Tried being the key word.
Snapped a pic of the tree and of a branch as requested by Adair. With the tree rotated Slightly and that back branch covered I think the image is more pleasing. Thanks again to Adair and Eric Schrader for the direction. So better, worse or the same?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 110

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the picture! It is as I thought. See how the outline of the foliage scribes a circle? Not what you want. The branch forks about half way out. Which fork is the leader? Just as you have a single trunk line, each branch coming off the trunk should have a central leader, and then secondaries come off it. And then tertiaries. What you have is a fan.

Choose one line to be the leader. Close up the angles of the secondaries. They all appear to be coming off at at an angle between 45 and 90 degrees. Tighten them up to 30 degrees. Do that and your pads will appear denser.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Gotcha, I'll take a look at branching again to tweak some more. In the case of the branch in the picture, since the fork splits into two branches of similar size, is there any reason to choose one as the leader over the other?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
image.jpeg

This is a diagram that Boon used as a teaching tool at his Intensives. The branch on top looks like the picture of the tree branch NY posted. As you can see, it's a rounded outline. What we want is something like the bottom picture. Even on it there's places where two twigs are competing for the same space, so something must be done.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Choose the line that best produces the left, right, left, right pattern. The left branch is less "leggy" and has shorter internodes. I think I would use it as the central leader, and reduce the one on the right.

Kodama16

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like what you have done with it. Honestly I'd buy it from you if you ever let it go. I think you made a good tree.

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Tried to give a few quick tweaks tonight in between bed time stories and dirty dishes. Tried to bring the branches down to give a more consistent appearance, trimmed a few hanging needles and tried to compact the left side of the crown. Tried being the key word.
Snapped a pic of the tree and of a branch as requested by Adair. With the tree rotated Slightly and that back branch covered I think the image is more pleasing. Thanks again to Adair and Eric Schrader for the direction. So better, worse or the same?

From the looks of the picture, I like it much more with the lower back branch removed. As Adair said however, don't make any quick decisions!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like it more too. But miss that branch as well, for the dimension.

If there is a happy medium, I'd try to find it!

Good stuff!

Sorce

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
update pic from a week or two ago. almost a year from last update. filled in from last years wiring that is still on the tree. a few tufts now appear out of place. I believe it to be healthy and happy although had a bit of a scare when it shed old needles very very early this year, my belief is that it may have been a sign of heat stress/drought from not enough water one week. New buds are coming along for next year and the needles seem bluer than in the past. No work planned for this fall, possibly a repot in the spring. As you can see, the back branch remains for now.

pine.JPG

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When you initially repotted, how aggressive did you address the roots? Repotting conifers makes me doubt myself and how I apply the technique.
Looks a lot "more blue"......

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the compliments all.

When you initially repotted, how aggressive did you address the roots? Repotting conifers makes me doubt myself and how I apply the technique.
Looks a lot "more blue"......

It was 2.5 years ago and i was nervous as hell as i did not have much repotting experience under my belt. I don't remember being very aggressive. The prior pot was more shallow so I had space to work with when moving to this larger one. I should have taken pictures but i did not. I loosened everything around the edges of the ball and got rid of some old soil but don't recall pruning much off.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Nybonsai12

This tree turned out real nice.
Good job

Thanks sandy, I hope to keep improving it, needs a little tilt, but I'm happy with it for now. I don't feel like I did so much with it though as it was a good piece to start with.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks good!

Using sharp scissors, cut off the old needles hanging below the pads. Leave about 1/16 inch stub. If there were (are) any little twigs growing down, either cut them off, or apply wire and twist so that they aren't growing downwards.

Downwards pointing needles should pretty much only be on old needles. All this year's needles should be pretty much going up. It's ok to cut off last year's downward pointing needles.

You'll be amazed how much more refined it will look!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm curious about the amount of sun you allow this little sweetheart to receive during summer? I believe I have mine in too much direct sun. Much more green, but a little yellow, so maybe I've watered a bit more than necessary, perhaps? Probably a bit of both , I suppose.:confused::cool:

Really like this one, interesting character.
Some years down the road in it's development, you might have some tough decisions to make, but it will look great now/then either way!!:D

Please update if/when you remove some of the errant, downward needles and what have you that @Adair M politely suggested.;)
Careful though, you might not be able to show it .........:rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D

Top Bottom