Newest addition

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah but then you have these ugly little doughnut thingies floating in your pool. The pump/fountain combo is aesthetically pleasing.

My Wife wraps one with a stone in cheese cloth to keep it in one piece and submerged. We use one and put in a fresh one every 6 weeks or so.

It keeps them out of sight and submerged - also keeps them from breaking up into a mess in the water... I have noticed when we run the fountain the birds tend to bath in the bowl that is without the pump.

Grimmy

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah but then you have these ugly little doughnut thingies floating in your pool. The pump/fountain combo is aesthetically pleasing.
You can sink them with little effort, and they are just as effective as when they are floating.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks really nice. Can I stop and visit next time I make the trip down to Long Island or New Jersey? You can say no :)

Some day I'd like to add a water feature to my yard, would like to have some dwarf lotuses. But right now, too much other stuff to maintain.

Chris

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks really nice. Can I stop and visit next time I make the trip down to Long Island or New Jersey? You can say no :)

Some day I'd like to add a water feature to my yard, would like to have some dwarf lotuses. But right now, too much other stuff to maintain.

Chris

Yes of course I know what you mean since bonsai alone can take up so much of your time that it seems little else is left for other stuff. I originally wanted to add a small pond full of water lilies and fish but my better sense kept me away. Bonsai is my priority.

No problem if you want to visit Chris. Probably in the fall would be a better time since I still need to get a few more things done around here. Just PM me so we can arrange something :)

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey Sergio,

how has this been working for you? About a week ago, I attempted to set up a similar pond to yours but the water got too hot in the sun and the lilies didn't make it. Did you end up putting a pump in it or are you using the tabs?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hey Sergio,

how has this been working for you? About a week ago, I attempted to set up a similar pond to yours but the water got too hot in the sun and the lilies didn't make it. Did you end up putting a pump in it or are you using the tabs?

Joe, it has worked out well again this year. Is your container big enough? Mine is about 30 gals. I never installed the pump because it was not necessary. I replace a few gallons every other day which keeps the mosquitoes in check. I believe these plants do better in stagnated water without much or any water flow. I am using fertilizer tabs that I insert into the soil once in a while. I took the pot out of the container right before winter and I just wrapped in black plastic and placed it in my unheated garage. The plants did fine and grew well again in the spring when I placed them back into the water. I do have a dwarf variety planted in there as well that grows well but has refused to flower. So not sure about that one.

Below are photos of the waterlilies this year. It seems that each plant puts out one flower at a time although it is constant. I am planning to have another container set up soon. They are incredibly easy to keep as long as you give them the right conditions of course.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I replace a few gallons every other day which keeps the mosquitoes in check.

I bought a plastic container to try out the concept - looks like ceramic if you don't stand too close to it! I added mosquito fish (Gambusia) to control the mosquitos. I bought water hyacinths and hornwort for visual interest and to compete with algae, but my Doberman pup destroyed all the water hyacinths and the algae is strangling the hornwort! Think I'll switch to water lilies. The mosquito fish are happy, though. I handle water changes by dunking my watering can in it for some of my watering. I think my bonsai like the fish poop.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Among the work that I am currently doing in my bonsai garden, I recently added a large ceramic container paired with a rain chain to collect and hold water. The reflective quality of the water really helps add a cooling and soothing effect specially on a hot summer day. I added a couple of dwarf water lilies to create a simple and beautiful water garden.

That setup seems awfully familiar. Nice job Sergio.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Joe, it has worked out well again this year. Is your container big enough? Mine is about 30 gals. I never installed the pump because it was not necessary. I replace a few gallons every other day which keeps the mosquitoes in check. I believe these plants do better in stagnated water without much or any water flow. I am using fertilizer tabs that I insert into the soil once in a while. I took the pot out of the container right before winter and I just wrapped in black plastic and placed it in my unheated garage. The plants did fine and grew well again in the spring when I placed them back into the water. I do have a dwarf variety planted in there as well that grows well but has refused to flower. So not sure about that one.

Below are photos of the waterlilies this year. It seems that each plant puts out one flower at a time although it is constant. I am planning to have another container set up soon. They are incredibly easy to keep as long as you give them the right conditions of course.

The container should be large enough, roughly 30+ gallons as well.

Do you fill it with hose water? I filled mine with creek water because I thought it might be better for them, maybe that was a mistake. I also had a pump in it, and although the pump was for a 2 gallon desktop aquarium it puts out a lot of flow.

I am going to make a few changes and try again.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The container should be large enough, roughly 30+ gallons as well.

Do you fill it with hose water? I filled mine with creek water because I thought it might be better for them, maybe that was a mistake. I also had a pump in it, and although the pump was for a 2 gallon desktop aquarium it puts out a lot of flow.

I am going to make a few changes and try again.

I just fill it with my garden hose but I do run on well water. Although your creek water should also be excellent for it!

Not sure what your issue may be? FYI I give mine about 6.5 hours of sunlight. Other than some basics, I don't do much to it. I try and keep it really simple.

Top Bottom