paperbark maple

Reaction score
i recently dug out this paperbark maple from the ground where it has grown for several years.
this tree was approx. 6"-0" tall when i acquired it from a local corner nursery and i chopped it down to about 12" tall and regrew the leader from a little twig that sprouted in the right place.
all the branches have grown from this little twig.
the tree measures around 7" at the base is approx. 34" tall.
i really like how the bark peels away and is really unique.
i think it's coming along nicely.
please post comments.

Attachments

• paperbark maple.jpg
    paperbark maple.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 335

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think the trunk after the first & 2nd chop are too long and lacking taper. Maybe it will look better if you chop it lower? (above the 1st chop). Might also need a bit of nebari & branch work. Sorry.

Looks very promising and I like the lower portion. :)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
One of my all time favorite landscape trees...great foliage with wonderful bark characteristics. I never tried one as a bonsai because I wasn't sure how the exfoliating bark AND the tri foliate nature of the leaves would transfer. It looks like you have a nice base there, but honestly, the picture isn't very good...it's a bit fuzzy and taken from above the tree. I'd need more pics from a better angle to really see the tree and comment on it.

Reaction score
One of my all time favorite landscape trees...great foliage with wonderful bark characteristics. I never tried one as a bonsai because I wasn't sure how the exfoliating bark AND the tri foliate nature of the leaves would transfer. It looks like you have a nice base there, but honestly, the picture isn't very good...it's a bit fuzzy and taken from above the tree. I'd need more pics from a better angle to really see the tree and comment on it.

Dav4
here's some more pics
I intend for Michael Hagedorn to do some thread grafting to improve the nebari.
the only other bonsai paperbark maple i have seen is on display at the pacific rim bonsai collection in federal way, wash state.

Attachments

• paperbark maple #2.jpg
    paperbark maple #2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 273
  • paperbark maple #3.jpg
    paperbark maple #3.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 226
  • paperbark maple #4.jpg
    paperbark maple #4.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Very nice Art! When I was at ISU, a Hort major gave me a few seedlings to try. None really made all the ensuing moves, but he told me that they have one of the lowest germination rates of any tree. Didn't know if it was true, but always wanted to see one as bonsai. This is a good one!

Reaction score
Very nice Art! When I was at ISU, a Hort major gave me a few seedlings to try. None really made all the ensuing moves, but he told me that they have one of the lowest germination rates of any tree. Didn't know if it was true, but always wanted to see one as bonsai. This is a good one!

thanks Brian for the nice comment !
this tree was grown in the ground for several years to regrow new branches after chopping it from a 6 foot tall nursery tree.

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
very cool trees indeed. My favorite example lives at Hakone Gardens in the bay area. Do they airlayer well?

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
back from dead thread

i am going to be taking various cuttings next spring from some nice trees.

one of them is a mature paperbark maple.

i read what someone else said, very low successrate grown from seed, and cuttings are difficult for this tree as well.

was glad to see it as a bonsai in here.

Top Bottom