Pinus contorta contorta (Shore pine)

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think you need something on the right side of the trunk. Foliage might be nice, but maybe a jin or two instead.
Another thought that comes to mind is replanting it rotated almost 90 degrees clockwise - it would then seem like a tree that got tipped over because of the erosion of a cliff face. The curve of the trunk would be upward and all the branches on one side would be consistent with the tendency for fallen trees to be raft-like, if they didn't die as a result.

At any rate, it clearly is very healthy. Good work.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I like this view better

eeea7926-8d36-41ff-ac58-9de0af399776-jpeg.297420

BonsaiDawg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That pot isn’t doing that tree any favors. I would choose a semi-cascade pot, or a rock planting. Maybe even a crescent.

at any rate, it looks very “ off balance” as it is now.

What an observation, tard face. It's obvious @parhamr is not representing this tree as anything close to a finished tree. #havesomerespectyouass

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
What an observation, tard face. It's obvious @parhamr is not representing this tree as anything close to a finished tree. #havesomerespectyouass
You sure know how to make friends and influence people. Will you just quit this forum you jerk.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It's really is to bad we don't have moderators who will axe sick people like you! You're a waste of a breath of air IMO. Just go away and spew your venom somewhere else please!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wait a tic… maybe it looks better at this position
View attachment 297434
The size of the trunk in comparison to the branches makes a windswept difficult I think. It appears that some of the branches could be repositioned with time to create some balanced branching using the smaller branches! That might allow a different planting angle with the trunk coming towards the viewer and lighter foliage. Shore pine back bud readily and produce new shoots in close. They also graft easily, particularly as this is a younger tree, allowing branch placement for redesign! If you wish to graft select a medium strength candle and shoot. I have found good length to be approximately 1 1/2 inch overall. Keep 12 pair of needles and cut all the rest off as short as possible to the shoot. One short cut/ one long cut. Place the long cut closest to the trunk or branch on a slight angle to catch cambium. Wrap tight with grafting tape to hold position. Cover in bag with small amount of damp sphagnum in the bag. For the PNW I prefer grafting pine in March.
I like the taper present in the base, there is lots of foliage to keep the tree healthy as work proceeds. One can take their time and make the most of the trees natural positives.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Reid. As @0soyoung said, at the very least the tree is quite healthy, but I’m also feeling that the windswept look will be difficult to be convincing. I think with as healthy as the tree is and as readily they back bud according to @River's Edge a design will present itself to you! Great horticulture none the less, per usual of course. At this point I expect nothing less from you!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow! So many critics:confused:. Good fortune with personal vision;).

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Me too.
Capture+_2020-04-28-20-57-21.png

But I wouldn't be too attached to the top part.

Sorce

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sold it for $180. The new owner is going to plant it on a slab. If I held onto it I would be replanting it this winter.

There are better uses for my benches than this tree :)

Loubonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9-1
Hope I'm doing this right. Not sure how to post to existing thread. I just picked up a Spaan's dwarf shore pine. It's my first pine and not sure where to start. There are tons of developing "candles"? Before I let them take off, should I pinch these off? Or should I let them go untill i figure out what I'm doing. I'm sure glad there are a lot of posts on this animal.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20230316_161230.jpg
    20230316_161230.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 19

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
So tell us what has happened to this tree in your hands and when it happened pls. I'm sure you understand about the one injury per year thing. If you repotted and then wired within one year, that would be two injuries. Probably not a good way to start with this guy.

When I click on your picture, two other pictures come up of another tree. Those look like Parhamr's tree. Sorry got confused

Last edited:

Loubonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9-1
So tell us what has happened to this tree in your hands and when it happened pls. I'm sure you understand about the one injury per year thing. If you repotted and then wired within one year, that would be two injuries. Probably not a good way to start with this guy.
Nothing has happened to this tree yet. The photo is as it was purchased a few days ago. Couldn't resist the purchase since the nursery has these priced at $100 and had a 75% off sale! It's my first pine, so all I know is what I've been reading on this site. I was thinking about pulling it out of the pot just to see what the root system looks like and maybe put it in a shallower wood box. I haven't heard of the "two injuries per year". I was assuming these were pretty tough.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Nothing has happened to this tree yet. The photo is as it was purchased a few days ago. Couldn't resist the purchase since the nursery has these priced at $100 and had a 75% off sale! It's my first pine, so all I know is what I've been reading on this site. I was thinking about pulling it out of the pot just to see what the root system looks like and maybe put it in a shallower wood box. I haven't heard of the "two injuries per year". I was assuming these were pretty tough.
One injury per year. Never assume "these were pretty tough".

Top Bottom