please tell me what this is!

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Typically, it's best to know what you're digging before you dig. Just a good idea.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have 3 kids my wife and I both work and farm .... so when I see something like that I don't say oh I'll to figure out what this night be and come back.... I am thinking there's a good chance I'll not come back to this spot for a year or two and most likely never remember it agen.

Gotta live in the moment bro.. I would never take a plant if I thought it would die. And if I don't want it later I just replant it.

brewmeister83

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Telling you,not even a tree. Club moss sounds like the name I was told they were.
Good luck.

I second that, club moss is a more commonly accepted name for Lycopodium - it's also called "princess pine" around where I live. Better not dig anymore though, they actually have protected status in several states because they've been over-collected in the past.

Image from bio.sunyorange.edu
37 clubmoss.jpg

brewmeister83

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's cryptomeria. :)

Growing along the edge of a hiking trail in Maine? How? Unless he found it along the sliver of southern coast that's warm enough to support it. Cryptomeria's only hardy to zone 6. And that's assuming someone planted a colony of trees that had matured to create seedlings. Club moss seems much more feasible.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Yes, but you should also know what to look for and what works for bonsai. Not only did you not know what this is, but it's also got nothing interesting in terms of bonsai use. You want to aim for a larger plant that you can ID and that has bonsai characteristics.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I second that, club moss is a more commonly accepted name for Lycopodium - it's also called "princess pine" around where I live. Better not dig anymore though, they actually have protected status in several states because they've been over-collected in the past.

Image from bio.sunyorange.edu
View attachment 84237
Hey Brew, that actually sounds like a good reason to know what the plant is before digging it up....hmmmm.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok so iv been looking at pics of both on line and I would have to say the moss is looking more like what I have.

Mine never grow any buds and stayed the same size sense spring. . I mean nothing .Never grow an inch.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry guys I could pass it up... I'd never seen it before and I don't really buy plants iv only payed for 2 of my plants and together cost me under 5.. no extra $ to spend on something like that right now in my life.

I know none of you know me and it doesn't really matter but I hope you guys don't think less of me for it. Like I said I would never dig something up if I did not think I could keep it alive and would set it free if I no longer wanted it .

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry, I been at the coast for 6 days. I see needles, foemina

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hmmm...

I googled "club moss", and found some images that look like what the OP dug up.

Oh well, it might make an interesting "accent plant"!

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmmm...

I googled "club moss", and found some images that look like what the OP dug up.

Oh well, it might make an interesting "accent plant"!
OP?
Ya that's what I was thinking :)

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Original poster.
Don't think any less of you. Just don't let your enthusiasm get the best of you or worse get you in trouble. There are protected plants everywhere. That's why you need to know what something is. Don't need the tree police to come knocking.
It is acceptable to take a picture of a possible bonsai plant in the ground and ask here.
Sure someone will say foemina. Someone will say it's crap. But someone will eventually come up with a plausible answer. That's how we pass the time around here.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll definitely try to practice doing that.

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good morning read ! Thanks

Top Bottom