parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The clump was quite overgrown and shows a lot of vigor. I gave it a moderately aggressive trim.
B62A1DDF-DE07-4545-B060-FA1811D96D3E.jpeg

The new tree is definitely surviving and incorporated with the clump. The right-middle trees could be pruned even more aggressively.

I’ll take another look mid-winter for pruning opportunities.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I live in Seattle so I would say the temperatures from Portland and the times of the year are almost the same. When you would consider a structural pruning? I am newbie and I have read a lot but as you may know informations out there sometimes are very opposite. Would you consider to cut back on winter or wait February for this?

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in Seattle so I would say the temperatures from Portland and the times of the year are almost the same. When you would consider a structural pruning? I am newbie and I have read a lot but as you may know informations out there sometimes are very opposite. Would you consider to cut back on winter or wait February for this?
Good times for Japanese Maple structural prunings tend to be in the growing season. Around here, specifically the urban Pacific Northwest, many diseases, infections, and physical damage can occur from pruning between November and March.

Stringent aftercare can be used to extend the growing season. Environmental protection is useful.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So far this year I’ve pinched all new growth and then followed up with a moderately aggressive thinning plus partial defoliation. It’s quite a hearty lil clump.

Attachments

• 51280CF8-E9BA-4528-AA65-0FC8B8A8FF6F.jpeg
    51280CF8-E9BA-4528-AA65-0FC8B8A8FF6F.jpeg
    274.2 KB · Views: 92

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So far this year I’ve pinched all new growth and then followed up with a moderately aggressive thinning plus partial defoliation. It’s quite a hearty lil clump.

Hi,
You said you did an approach graft to add the fifth tree into your clump. I was hoping you could explain the “how you did this” please and thank you.
Great clump in the making!
Charles

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,
You said you did an approach graft to add the fifth tree into your clump. I was hoping you could explain the “how you did this” please and thank you.
Great clump in the making!
Charles
Back in 2017 I was thinking a formal graft might have been needed to successfully encorporate the new seedling. Here are two guides for grafting:

https://www.bonsaiempire.com/basics/cultivation/advanced/grafting-trees
http://bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATApproachGraftingforBonsai.htm

When I made a final decision about which tree I would be adding and where it would go, I figured out I could just nestle it in a nook between two of the trunks and let new growth lock it in. Think of this somewhat like a handshake—the positive shape of two trunks was compatible with the negative space in the roots of the tree I added.

On the new tree I teased out the roots by hand, removed one conflicting root, and guided the remaining roots into a small pocket I had prepared in the clump. I finished this up by top-dressing the new tree’s roots in place with strips of sphagnum and fine, sifted akadama. I held it all in place by lacing two galvanized steel wires, wrapped in plastic aquarium tubing, criss-crossed over the base of the clump and new tree.

The roots of the new tree are fully enmeshed into the rest of the clump and its base is butting up against the adjacent two trunks. The five trees will soon be one connected knob.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In this repot I did minor work on the nebari. It’s a little uneven where some older roots rotted away. There’s a decent bulge around the base where I could ground layer or perform root grafts. I think I’ll wait for the 2022 work to make those improvements.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Niiice.
I think the second trunk from the left needs to be chppped low.
It is too straight and long.....all the other trunks have movement.
I assume you've seen it, and have considered it.....I think the sooner the better.
Nice work keeping it healthy.....J Maples have always been a disease harbor for me.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welllll I did it. Removing years of growth was hard to stomach overall, but the long internodes, mediocre taper, and undesirable directional growth was stuff I could feel great about fixing.
1D0E613D-48EB-431F-BE4C-1DAAC9304F3C.jpeg
38EEFFE2-37F7-4675-8C05-2E580523EBA1.jpeg

Even after the hard structural prune there were some bits of dense foliage so I performed a partial defoliation on all that remained. It’s warm and sunny this week so I’ve got this tree in part shade so it doesn’t get burnt.

Top Bottom