Share Your MAPLE LITERATIS

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Has the banana ripened a little too much? The issue is with grammar not synonymy ;) (not that I'm any sort of grammar judge) :)
hmmm I thought a thesaurus had all the variations of a word.

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score
This is my favorite maple. Considered in the top 3 of all Japanese maple bunjin. Will look for some more photos of this tree as well.

Either Julian or Kaya just took this pic at Kouka-en. Got to keep those new apprentices in line! View attachment 220141

Owen, heres an older photo of that momiji I have saved on my macbook. I believe it is from an older Art of Bonsai article they did on our Oyakata.

Attachments

• Pic_14.jpg
    Pic_14.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 190

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ha! That's the million dollar question!

I think there are some trees that you look and and it's obvious you would call them "literati", but there is a very broad transition from those to what might be called slanting or even informal upright in some cases. I often refer to those kinds trees as "literati-ish" when they have that simple/elegant/long/thin form because I have no idea where the line is.
I have one of those.
Since it's a Scots pine I wont clutter up a maple thread.
It has a thread.
For me,the word literati as it pertains to bonsai,means to make you think about this tree. Why it's in the shape in.
Literally.
Struggles lost and won.
Years just making it.
I see more trees that are literatish/literati growing in nature than any other form used in bonsai.
It's really how trees grow.
Sure,there are trees that look like the other forms.
But how many trees really have a 6 to 1 ratio in size. That would be a foot of diameter for every 6 feet of height!
A 60 foot tree would be 10 feet across.
There is no such thing in narure.
I've literally killed or trimmed millions of trees.
I've seen maybe 2 in all that time that came close.
2 European beech in South Boston/Brockton Massachusetts.
And they were maybe 7 feet in diameter and 60 feet tall.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Owen, heres an older photo of that momiji I have saved on my macbook. I believe it is from an older Art of Bonsai article they did on our Oyakata.
Shouldn't you be working instead of surfing the web??:p

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The literati style is an elegant form of bonsai. The Japanese word “Bunjin” means “learned man” or “man of scholars.” The English word “literati” means “men of letters or learned men.” That’s it. The Chinese literati were well educated scholars who became boarded with the classics and decided to play with paintings. They painted according to their amusement, not necessarily realistic. Their quick whimsical paintings were to please themselves, and were not a commercial endeavor. Some Japanese artists appreciated this form and duplicated these paintings. Eventually the Japanese bonsai community decided to copy the Japanese literati painting forms with trees, which was originally for Chinese scholars. They turned to nature for forms.

Usually bonsai styles classified according to trunk shape (formal/informal upright, slanting and cascade.) However bonsai are also classified by the number of trunks (twin, triple, multiple,) method of planting (forest, rock, root connected,) and size (mame, shohin, medium, large.)

There are three styles of bonsai defined by “feeling” rather than a specific shape. The literati, windswept and broom styles do not have a typical defined form. They are loosely defined by the feeling they present to the viewer. And, perhaps the viewer’s interpretation can change as well. One might see a tree as a delicate literati bonsai while someone else might think it is too heavy or coarse.

A straight trunk tree with few delicate branches might present a literati feeling to some, while only a formal upright form is apparent to others. And, if all the branches are one side of the trunk, it might appear to be windswept. If all the branches are evenly distributed around the trunk, a broom style might be suggested. In the end, the trunk is absolutely straight, so it is of course a formal upright style according to the trunk shape.

Although almost any species can be trained in the literati style, some are better suited than others. For example, the Japanese maple has better characteristics than the Trident maple because of its fine texture and delicate foliage. Some of the dwarf cultivars of Japanese maples such as Shishigashira and Koto Hime grow tight and congested with curled leaves, not flat. These are more of a challenge to train in the literati style.

I just took a few quick photos of one of my Koto Hime Japanese maple bonsai container trained in the literati style from a cutting for over 30 years. This bonsai has a form which interests me. Like other well styled bonsai, it has multiple fronts, which I like because they can be easily exhibited in a specific area providing directionality to the display. I like the crossing lower trunk, and without this focal point branch the bonsai form would be dull, uninteresting and common. Take your pick as to the front. My front changes all the time.

But, please do not forget to enjoy and appreciate your bonsai. That is the most important aspect to this art. The name or label one puts on the bonsai is only one person’s opinion. The beauty is the most important aspect of bonsai in my opinion.MAPLE 1.JPGMAPLE 2.JPGMAPLE 1.JPGMAPLE 3.JPGMAPLE 4.JPGMAPLE 5.JPG

KayaMooney

Mame
Reaction score

For anyone that would like to take a closer look, a friend mentioned to me on facebook that you can find this bunjin momiji on page 222 in the 76th kokufu book.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
But, please do not forget to enjoy and appreciate your bonsai. That is the most important aspect to this art. The name or label one puts on the bonsai is only one person’s opinion. The beauty is the most important aspect of bonsai in my opinion.
Thank you for these thoughts, seems like people lately get all caught up in the words. ( Should cut and paste this into the other thread about calling it something other than "Bonsai" in America as if it's some different art here.)

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
The literati style is an elegant form of bonsai. The Japanese word “Bunjin” means “learned man” or “man of scholars.” The English word “literati” means “men of letters or learned men.” That’s it. The Chinese literati were well educated scholars who became boarded with the classics and decided to play with paintings. They painted according to their amusement, not necessarily realistic. Their quick whimsical paintings were to please themselves, and were not a commercial endeavor. Some Japanese artists appreciated this form and duplicated these paintings. Eventually the Japanese bonsai community decided to copy the Japanese literati painting forms with trees, which was originally for Chinese scholars. They turned to nature for forms.

Usually bonsai styles classified according to trunk shape (formal/informal upright, slanting and cascade.) However bonsai are also classified by the number of trunks (twin, triple, multiple,) method of planting (forest, rock, root connected,) and size (mame, shohin, medium, large.)

There are three styles of bonsai defined by “feeling” rather than a specific shape. The literati, windswept and broom styles do not have a typical defined form. They are loosely defined by the feeling they present to the viewer. And, perhaps the viewer’s interpretation can change as well. One might see a tree as a delicate literati bonsai while someone else might think it is too heavy or coarse.

A straight trunk tree with few delicate branches might present a literati feeling to some, while only a formal upright form is apparent to others. And, if all the branches are one side of the trunk, it might appear to be windswept. If all the branches are evenly distributed around the trunk, a broom style might be suggested. In the end, the trunk is absolutely straight, so it is of course a formal upright style according to the trunk shape.

Although almost any species can be trained in the literati style, some are better suited than others. For example, the Japanese maple has better characteristics than the Trident maple because of its fine texture and delicate foliage. Some of the dwarf cultivars of Japanese maples such as Shishigashira and Koto Hime grow tight and congested with curled leaves, not flat. These are more of a challenge to train in the literati style.

I just took a few quick photos of one of my Koto Hime Japanese maple bonsai container trained in the literati style from a cutting for over 30 years. This bonsai has a form which interests me. Like other well styled bonsai, it has multiple fronts, which I like because they can be easily exhibited in a specific area providing directionality to the display. I like the crossing lower trunk, and without this focal point branch the bonsai form would be dull, uninteresting and common. Take your pick as to the front. My front changes all the time.

But, please do not forget to enjoy and appreciate your bonsai. That is the most important aspect to this art. The name or label one puts on the bonsai is only one person’s opinion. The beauty is the most important aspect of bonsai in my opinion.View attachment 220271View attachment 220272View attachment 220271View attachment 220273View attachment 220274View attachment 220275
The last image is my favorite. Looks nice in the new pot. I was taught to call “bunjin” trees bunjin janome (basically a tree a learned person would appreciate). Perhaps that should be the name for the style.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

But, please do not forget to enjoy and appreciate your bonsai. That is the most important aspect to this art. The name or label one puts on the bonsai is only one person’s opinion. The beauty is the most important aspect of bonsai in my opinion.View attachment 220271View attachment 220272View attachment 220271View attachment 220273View attachment 220274View attachment 220275
Thank you for the thoughtful explanation and the pictures of such a beautiful tree, Bill

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
That’s a beautiful tree Bill! I think I like the second view best, fwiw, with the sympathetic movements of the low branch and the upper trunk. The branch structure is so nicely developed.

D

Deleted member 21616

not a maple, but how about this as inspiration for a triple-trunk literati? all day i think about arakawas now... i have the bug...

Attachments

• 47115821_10212370392687094_7336994002127814656_n.jpg
    47115821_10212370392687094_7336994002127814656_n.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 157

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes!!

Picked up a bunch of seiryu maples this summer, 3 for landscape, and 3 for literati bonsai, both trios driven by this image.

group literati is super interesting to me

@MACH5 a forest literati is something else - i can’t even visualize what that means! Unless you were kidding?

See Bonsai Techniques by John Naka;).

Top Bottom