Shohin black pine from seed

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Leggy branches have some healthy backbuds that I’ll eventually use to build the future branches. These are extremely important and it’s important to keep them healthy.

View attachment 247089

Can you elaborate on your process for keeping the backbuds healthy? What steps specifically will you be taking to ensure they stay healthy?
- ensuring light reaches them?
- candle cutting the ends of that branch to push vigor to the new buds?
- at what point will you cut back to them totally?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Can you elaborate on your process for keeping the backbuds healthy? What steps specifically will you be taking to ensure they stay healthy?
- ensuring light reaches them?
- candle cutting the ends of that branch to push vigor to the new buds?...

Hi OM. That’s basically it. The other thing I’d mention is that it’s also good to leave some old needles in the area you’d like branches to appear to increase your chance of getting some needle buds. Then let the ends grow strong. Better chance of back budding on a strong branch. Plus there’s a better chance of back budding when you prune a strong branch than when you prune a weak one.

- at what point will you cut back to them totally?

The answer to this is straightforward, but a harder one to describe. The answer is “you can cut back the branch when the branch is thick enough and the backbuds are strong enough”. How you tell is a bit of a judgment call. I can tell you that neither is true on this tree. I think the branches might still be a few years away from being ready, but I’ll re-evaluate next winter.

S

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the response.

"you can cut back the branch when the branch is thick enough and the backbuds are strong enough" - great advice. Something I will keep in mind for sure working on coniferous material going forward.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
So, I'm sitting at home this morning nursing a recently surgerized wrist, open this thread and see the wonderful base, great movement and tapered trunk capped by the nicely developing canopy and instantly get an endorphin rush that puts my percocets to shame as far as improving my mood... keep up the great work, Scott!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
So, I'm sitting at home this morning nursing a recently surgerized wrist, open this thread and see the wonderful base, great movement and tapered trunk capped by the nicely developing canopy and instantly get an endorphin rush that puts my percocets to shame as far as improving my mood... keep up the great work, Scott!

LOL! Adair showed me the pictures you posted on Facebook. My thoughts are with you - best wishes for a speedy recovery. Hopefully your wife can keep up with the spay and neuter load while you’re healing that hand!

S

Berra

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great thread. Trying to find resources specifically on trunk grafting with a chisel. Do you have any pointers on how deep to insert the chisel? Aim for cambium or go deeper? I suppose we want the bark to separate from the trunk in the upside down L shape? Which part of the chisel (flat or angled) goes towards the trunk? Thanks

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Do you have any pointers on how deep to insert the chisel? Aim for cambium or go deeper?

it’s tricky. You’re aiming for a thin wedge-shaped cut at a shallow angle. It goes deeper than the cambium, but the cambium is exposed along the edge. The shallower you can make the cut,the more cambium is exposed.

I suppose we want the bark to separate from the trunk in the upside down L shape?

yes

Which part of the chisel (flat or angled) goes towards the trunk?

Flat part against the trunk.

scott

Top Bottom