Shohin black pine from seed

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ive just tried to buy some but it seems you can only put a U.S. address in for delivery sadly.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Scott, I think I see that you make a T-shaped cut in the trunk, after wich you use a chisel to make the opening to insert the scion? is this correct?

More of an upside down “L”. A vertical cut first and then a horizontal one at the top. Leave the chisel in the horizontal cut and slide the scion in.

S

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

DirkvanDreven

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Jonas mailed me that he would be happy to ship to Europe. So we can order from Jonas. He also suggested to find a retailer in Japan. I search J-bonsai.com but couldn't find the grafting nails there.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Jonas mailed me that he would be happy to ship to Europe. So we can order from Jonas. He also suggested to find a retailer in Japan. I search J-bonsai.com but couldn't find the grafting nails there.

Jonas is an excellent person to do business with. I could not recommend him more.

Scott

Drew

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How long do you wait before its safe to decandle the grafts scott?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
How long do you wait before its safe to decandle the grafts scott?

Next step is branch structure. This year I will decandle all the shoots except for the grafts to strengthen them. Next year I may partially decandle the grafts, depending on how they’re growing. But the focus is on building a branch, so at least part must be left alone to lengthen and thicken it.

S

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great work! These types of threads help open more opportunities when assessing stock, a great value. Thanks for sharing!

evanjt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How long should you wait to repot after grafting? One year?

Vic N

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
The process is just like performing a detached scion graft onto a branch, but the thicker bark and differential depth of the cambium makes this kind of graft much more challenging. Process involves cutting a wedge through the bark with a chisel:

View attachment 167695View attachment 167696

Scott
Scott- in spite of these two great pics, I'm still not sure how this "upside down L" is formed. Is that a straight chisel? On a smaller branch, the cut would form an upside down U because the knife cuts through the bark along two parallel axes (axi?). Is this cut done with the chisel due to the thickness of the bark, and to keep the cut size similar to the thickness of the scion?

Top Bottom