Shohin crabapple with fruit

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Since you're getting some contradictory responses to my critique of the pot, please let me clarify. Not that I hate being wrong, but, darn it, I think I'm right ;) I love the color of the pot and think it's spot on. But something about the pot makes it feel like it is brand new (the shininess of the glaze, the crispness of the corners, the white on the bottom, something?), and I don't think that's appropriate for this tree. I think a pot like this one, which is similar to yours but looks aged, would be more fitting.

Thanks Stan. I think that all we need here is to age the current pot and I believe we may all agree finally :D There is actually a technique that one of our BNut members (Ang3lfir3) brought to my attention on another thread. It involves brushing on glass etching cream to the pot and in about 20 mins you have an aged looking container! Perhaps I may try this to take some of the "newness" off but not change it since I do like it's shape, size and color.

A virt with your pot choice...:D

Your pot is very nice. However, I think I still like the pot the tree is in better.

Rob

Thanks Rob. Yes I must say that although a very nice pot, I do agree the current one is better.

I like this tree so much I keep coming back to this thread to look at it. I think this tree is going to make me search all corners of the Internet for more crab pictures and trees for sale! My wife is gonna be angry with you sir.

LOL and sorry NY12... I feel your pain! :D

Last edited:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Spring 2014 update

Here it is in full bloom again. The flowers go from a hot pink to white as they open. They are also wonderfully scented! I love the contrast between the old trunk and the fresh look of the flowers. I hope to get a few good apples this year for a nice fall show :rolleyes:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This tree never dissapoints. I don't know how you do it. Small leaves, fruit, and such a healthy tree. Always look forward to this one.

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
Absolutely stunning, do you know which species/cultivar this little guy is? I just started working on a Sargent Crabapple this spring. Excited for it's future.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Now that is my kind of tree.You can carry it with one hand.
I have been admiring the crab apples in town and the flowers look exactly like yours.
Awesome,thanks.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Absolutely stunning, do you know which species/cultivar this little guy is? I just started working on a Sargent Crabapple this spring. Excited for it's future.

Thanks Cypress! Unfortunately I have not the slightest idea of what kind it is. Perhaps someone else here can chime in and tell us :rolleyes:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks like my Dolgo Crab Apple Malus Dolgo trees. Same flowers and leaf. Yours appears to be pretty old - trunks on mine are still smooth and get like yours upon maturity. It is a Russian variety and in your case is good as they produce very small fruit.:cool:

Grimmy

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Waw! This is a dream tree! Mine thinks it is in the northern hemisphere and is flowering also...twice in a year...ones at our spring and ones at northern spring...:D

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great tree. Looks like the branches have really come along the last two years, can you elaborate?

Did you clip and grow, wire, both? Are you letting small sacrifice branches grow out each year and reducing in spring? Perhaps a shot of the tree this winter would show me what I am asking?

thanks

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Mach, may I ask, where did you find this crabapple? I've had my eye on one for awhile but nice ones like this I just don't find.

Thanks
Chris

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great tree. Looks like the branches have really come along the last two years, can you elaborate?

Did you clip and grow, wire, both? Are you letting small sacrifice branches grow out each year and reducing in spring? Perhaps a shot of the tree this winter would show me what I am asking?

thanks

Thanks gergwebber. I am letting it just do its thing this year. Meaning, I am letting it just grow. I have tried in the past to force my will onto this tree with not very good results. I am used to working with Japanese maples that I can almost predict what will happen if made a cut here or a pinch there. Not so with crabapples. At least in my experience. For the most part is clip and grow although I have wired a couple of branches as well. I let branches grow and then if need be I cut back in autumn.

Mach, may I ask, where did you find this crabapple? I've had my eye on one for awhile but nice ones like this I just don't find.

Thanks
Chris

Chris I will tell you a little secret. I mentioned this earlier on this thread. This little tree was a boring, run of the mill crabapple that I almost threw in the compost pile at one time. It had the typical cylindrical smooth trunk that we see so often in this species. It was a very uninspired tree. The idea then occurred to me to carve the trunk from top to bottom. I think this was key in transforming this tree from boring same 'ol to a much more unique and full of character shohin. It was that simple :p

I bought this little guy around 18 years ago at the MidAtlantic bonsai convention in NJ.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am letting it just do its thing this year. Meaning, I am letting it just grow.

Although my crab is a larger type, I find it advantageous to the development of the tree to let it do just that every 1 in 3 years. This year is one for mine to just grow as well.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
What a great tree now Mach, and I totally agree, the carving is a huge plus. Apparently, I need to go to more shows ;)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I let branches grow and then if need be I cut back in autumn.

On an average year...how many times do you prune? When is the latest you prune? I know you said Autumn but any finer detail on this?

Thanks!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
On an average year...how many times do you prune? When is the latest you prune? I know you said Autumn but any finer detail on this?

Thanks!

Dario honestly I have not been very precise or scientific about my crabapple. It varies and whenever I see a shoot growing too long or if I get a bud in a good spot and may then prune the branch back to that point. So I basically prune as I see fit. Afterwards when leaves fall and structure is visible I may prune as necessary. Perhaps to confuse matters even more, I have also pruned this tree in early spring before it leafs out.

Sorry I wish I had a more defined pruning strategy for this little tree :confused:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dario honestly I have not been very precise or scientific about my crabapple. It varies and whenever I see a shoot growing too long or if I get a bud in a good spot and may then prune the branch back to that point. So I basically prune as I see fit. Afterwards when leaves fall and structure is visible I may prune as necessary. Perhaps to confuse matters even more, I have also pruned this tree in early spring before it leafs out.

Sorry I wish I had a more defined pruning strategy for this little tree :confused:

No problem...sounds like what I do actually. Thanks!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Its a great looking tree. I'm not sure what I like more, the tree with fruit and no leaves, or the tree covered in blooms. I really like the no leaves and fruit photos best I think.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Its a great looking tree. I'm not sure what I like more, the tree with fruit and no leaves, or the tree covered in blooms. I really like the no leaves and fruit photos best I think.

Yes I think I agree Don. I like it best with just the fruit. This year I'm hoping to get a whole bunch of fruit for a really good fall pic! We'll see.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just be careful how much fruit you leave, as I've heard of it weakening the tree to a great extent if it's way loaded. Course maybe that's just old wives tales... course, I'm an old wife!;)

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just be careful how much fruit you leave, as I've heard of it weakening the tree to a great extent if it's way loaded. Course maybe that's just old wives tales... course, I'm an old wife!;)

Yes thanks Judy I am aware and believe this to be true as well although I am by no means any expert. I am hoping for a few more than the three I had in the pics of the OP. Perhaps 7 or so for a different and less "minimal" composition. I will experiment and see but certainly will not allow it to set too many for precisely the concern you raised.

Top Bottom