SUTHIN EASTERN WHITE CEDAR

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I agree.
But actually I think it can be just as difficult, if not more so to take a tree that is already at a certain point, and to build on it and better it. It's easy for me to see the direction in lessor trees, but making an already amazing tree into something better? Tough. And you make it your own in so doing.

I agree - more refined tree requires a lot more work and intuition to keep them along the path and continual refinement

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks Darlene! I thought it would be neat to try and get this tree into the 6th US National since it will mark ten years that it was displayed at the very first Nationals back in 2008.
You are so welcome Sergio!
I love you have that goal to work towards, it looks stunning! I hope to hear this happens!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Actually, it looks like your moving "away" from Suthin's vision. All this extra foliage seems to mute the incredible trunk. Seems smaller, less impressive and dare I say, younger? Obviously, incredible technical showing, but it somehow seems "too much bonsai"......

Honestly, you can't just get showered with praise!!!:p:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks Lance! Probably one of the biggest differences in approach or departure from its original styling is the curving downwards of the foliage pads. I thought I would make use of its natural growth habit and go with it and even accentuate it. I have seen most thujas styled where the foliage is pruned or pinched back building short masses of upward growing fronds. I think this is not necessarily better or worse, just different ways to approach it.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Darlene! I thought it would be neat to try and get this tree into the 6th US National since it will mark ten years that it was displayed at the very first Nationals back in 2008.
Here's hoping you will have this tree on display! I would love to see the scale of it on display.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I actually didn’t care for this when you picked it up, because it looked like a piece of firewood that refused to die, but you have improved it substantially, and dramatically. Good vision, and excellent finesse.

Thanks Bri! Among the things that grabbed me when I saw this tree in person at Suthin's garden was the convoluted, twising branches coming from the top. There is no chop, but rather the live trunk just makes a dramatic downward turn that upon close inspection appears natural and not bent to twisted through artificial means. I will need to press Suthin next time for more specifics since all he said to me is that he obtained the tree from a nursery in Vermont. But that could mean a few different things.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here's hoping you will have this tree on display! I would love to see the scale of it on display.

Thanks Wilson! I hope so too. In any case, the tree now stands 27" high form soil level with roughly a 7" trunk. I think once I repot it into the new container it will further improve the overall image.

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I really like what you did with this. I plan to make it to the nationals this year, hopefully you get it accepted and it'll be seen in person by all who are going.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Lance! Probably one of the biggest differences in approach or departure from its original styling is the curving downwards of the foliage pads.

Good vision, good observation;).

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Ironically heavy wet snow left on WC bonzo really can affect branch fronds, orienting them flatter or more down. It always startles me how well this works. I know of one WC geek who uses wet rags to achieve the same effect. I have done it too but don't have the discipline to do a consistent long-term experiment. I did it for about 2 weeks draping branches at night then removing it during the day. I really worked well and held that way for a long time.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ironically heavy wet snow left on WC bonzo really can affect branch fronds, orienting them flatter or more down. It always startles me how well this works. I know of one WC geek who uses wet rags to achieve the same effect. I have done it too but don't have the discipline to do a consistent long-term experiment. I did it for about 2 weeks draping branches at night then removing it during the day. I really worked well and held that way for a long time.

Interesting approach! I did something I guess similar with my beech forest as I was preparing for the Nationals back in 2016. I placed some plastic netting over the entire canopy to make its silhouette tighter for the show. The leaves comformed to the shape and the canopy looked a bit more tidy. It was only short lived however.

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great progression.
I have 4 large landscape EWC's, and am working on a game plan to chop them down to a "bonsai height" and eventually dig up and begin a process as shown here, hopefully as nice.
Any suggestions are welcomed?
Just gonna take it slow, but curious how much to chop, luckily all but one have low branches.

I like these, and the wild look they usually have!!

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
Great progression.
I have 4 large landscape EWC's, and am working on a game plan to chop them down to a "bonsai height" and eventually dig up and begin a process as shown here, hopefully as nice.
Any suggestions are welcomed?
Just gonna take it slow, but curious how much to chop, luckily all but one have low branches.

I like these, and the wild look they usually have!!
No comment on style or anything, but I barerooted and chopped a 8’ landscaped thuja to 3’ this spring. Left a lot of foliage and it seems to be doing fine so far. Before you start your project, note how the fronds are growing (straight up, horizontal, mixed). They will always grow that way. My case, vertical, real pain and perhaps not worth the time.

I also love the wild look of the thuja.

Top Bottom