Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I should probably update the picture. That one is from 2016.....where have the years gone?
Its a lot bushier atm. I started to do some needle cutting and pruning at my club meeting this past week but didnt finish it.
Got to try and do that this weekend

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I should probably update the picture. That one is from 2016.....where have the years gone?
Its a lot bushier atm. I started to do some needle cutting and pruning at my club meeting this past week but didnt finish it.
Got to try and do that this weekend
I think round would be the most appealing. Do you have any to choose from?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Starting to think about a pot for this shohin JWP.
Is it feminine enough for a round or oval or would a feminine rectangle or square be better?

View attachment 398171
Something like this…
EDD9C519-DE9B-498E-A7F5-0BD1DC86EA60.png
Or…
A560BBC8-1AD6-4E9D-ABD5-38890BA29C24.png

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I’ll go first. This is a San Jose juniper that has gone through a few iterations but has been in my possession since 2016ish. HERE . Its become literati like and needs a pot to fit as such. Here is the tree at current state, a drawing showing next years look with a pot shape i like and a few pots Ive found from American makers. I like the idea of the rougher glaze and a darker clay body, but the lighter colored pot i have pictured also really caught my eye. The pot with the mountainscape may be too much, but it may also be perfect.
I like pot #3. Also well done with this bonsai. Well done.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Curious if anyone thinks one of these pots would look good with this spirea? These are on one of the FB auction sites and I like the potters style. The last is an oval but the glaze is pretty dope. It’s possible the glazes are a bit too understated for the tree and maybe the clay body is too light?
What about a teal or yellow pot to be complimentary bro the purple flowers. I see a mokko shape.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I’ll play! I could use some suggestions for this shohin itoigawa juniper.
View attachment 392537

Current pot is too deep, I think, and was never really intended to be a “final” pot for this tree.

Here are a couple options I am looking at online:
View attachment 392539View attachment 392540View attachment 392541

I also have another round Sam Miller. Same width as current pot, but only 2/3 as deep and grey unglazed.

Other suggestions welcome!
From these three, I enjoy the first one with the soft corners and red color. Will you extend the Shari?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like pot #3. Also well done with this bonsai. Well done.
Hey thanks! I ended up ordering a few different unglazed and I’ll poste em up here at some point.

this tree has come a LONG way.

Last edited:

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What about a teal or yellow pot to be complimentary bro the purple flowers. I see a mokko shape.
I’m thinking moko for sure also. And I’ve waffled on the color and am not sold on that just yet.

I did just win this pot that I just loved. The shape in particular, but the color was also nice. What would you think of this one?
D58F0B92-ACE9-43BC-85B1-220A62647E78.jpeg

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Any suggestions for a pot pairing with this juniper?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220101-161127~2.png
    Screenshot_20220101-161127~2.png
    770.1 KB · Views: 45

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have exactly two pots big enough for this boxwood clump. First is the one it's in. The second is this unglazed oval. In either case I want to move the clump off center to the left. So, rounded rectangle or oval?

box clump.jpg

oval unglazed.jpg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have exactly two pots big enough for this boxwood clump. First is the one it's in. The second is this unglazed oval. In either case I want to move the clump off center to the left. So, rounded rectangle or oval?

View attachment 414324

View attachment 414325
I'm partial to the oval.
Something with some color would be nice, but if you don't have it, you don't have it.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 414324

View attachment 414325
Of the two, I like the rounded rectangle. The oval feels too simple for the lines of the trunks. But I also think looking for a round rectangle cream color would be dope.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve got this Sage Brush, Artemisia Tridentata. I’d like to put it in a better pot this spring. My initial though is a highly textured round, either unglazed or a cream color. I was even thinking an earthen, soda or alternative style glaze. The thought would be to echo its native surroundings in the high desert and compliment, the whitish green foliage. It’s also somewhat literati like, though not quite.
so maybe a nanban?
A traditional oval would also be a thought?
48108EF2-8B06-4F08-9E4A-3F4CA43194A4.jpeg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’ve got this Sage Brush, Artemisia Tridentata. I’d like to put it in a better pot this spring. My initial though is a highly textured round, either unglazed or a cream color. I was even thinking an earthen, soda or alternative style glaze. The thought would be to echo its native surroundings in the high desert and compliment, the whitish green foliage. It’s also somewhat literati like, though not quite.
so maybe a nanban?
A traditional oval would also be a thought?
View attachment 414821
I agree with something alluding to its native habitat. There are 100 of these within 100 feet of my house, and they can be incredible specimens.

I'm thinking an unglazed textured oval, though something textured in a rather soft glaze might compliment what I find to be a somewhat feminine feel.
Whatever it is, I do feel it should be textured at least lightly.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@ShadyStump heres a couple. I did a quick search and I’m sure I’ll find many other options. Both round, but I like the imperfections and coloring.
46658AFA-4172-4D0E-9237-72792AA807D3.jpeg9EEA294D-3FEF-4B80-9A19-7D972CBAB25E.jpeg

Just found this nice oval by jack hoover
BE1B49F1-C53D-4D27-89BC-1531B5F2E613.jpeg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@ShadyStump heres a couple. I did a quick search and I’m sure I’ll find many other options. Both round, but I like the imperfections and coloring.
View attachment 414826View attachment 414827

Just found this nice oval by jack hoover
View attachment 414834
That Jack Hoover pot is AMAZING 😍!

Though I would save it for something truly special.
I'm leaning toward the second pot for its soft sandstone vibe.

BTW, is your tree pic of the your chosen front? Wondering because that bit of twist or wrap around on the lower branch near the trunk is what draws my eye. If it were mine it'd be a highlight.

Top Bottom