Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think the rounds might be too deep. I’d vote a shallow-ish oval with that graceful upright trunk.
I kinda thought that too, why I asked about his front. He may be thinking round and deep to try and match the literati aspects of the tree, which could work depending on the front.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I kinda thought that too, why I asked about his front. He may be thinking round and deep to try and match the literati aspects of the tree, which could work depending on the front.
I’ll do a 360 video of the tree a little later. In terms of pad placement, silhouette and Line I thought this angle looked the best. But I think others could work. The foliage from this view comes towards the viewer, the other side the foliage moves away. But with growth and proper wiring I’m sure I could adjust that and take advantage of the cool twist in the primary branch to the trunk.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’ll do a 360 video of the tree a little later. In terms of pad placement, silhouette and Line I thought this angle looked the best. But I think others could work. The foliage from this view comes towards the viewer, the other side the foliage moves away. But with growth and proper wiring I’m sure I could adjust that and take advantage of the cool twist in the primary branch to the trunk.

Well, if the front is uncertain, and/or may change, I would agree with a wide, shallow, round pot.
I am looking forward to the 360, though.

Have you considered a slant?
Mostly thinking out loud there.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, if the front is uncertain, and/or may change, I would agree with a wide, shallow, round pot.
I am looking forward to the 360, though.

Have you considered a slant?
Mostly thinking out loud there.
No no. Think, think. I like it. Dialogues like this can be fun, especially when I’m asking for it. here’s the vid

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well, if you're down I am!

Noticed the space between the main lower branch and the upright trunk. There's a few inches there where they're growing parallel. You know more than I about these as far as bonsai goes, but from what I've seen in the wild, those two sections aren't likely to fuse.

If it were me, I'd slant it toward that first branch, and expand that gap if possible. Essentially the main trunk going literati, and the one big branch almost a secondary cascade.
So, speaking frankly, I feel like your wiring is heading the wrong direction. It's too vertical, which is unnatural for these.

Break that vertical with some flair, and your deeper round pots will work well.
My amateur two cents.

Chopsie

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi
Im looking for a little shohin pot for this little Ibota Privet.
The current pot measures 145mmx100mmx45mm
I have a few ideas and have pretty much decided on a Koyo but thought I’d ask for ideas.
The tree has small white pine in the summer

4AB675A2-DF5B-4FEB-A429-601A279B2A67.jpeg

FF84D2EC-2312-4CC4-A67F-9300B0015F7D.jpeg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hi
I have a few ideas and have pretty much decided on a Koyo but thought I’d ask for ideas.

View attachment 415798

View attachment 415799
I’m not a huge fan of broadleaf evergreens paired with oribe glazes for some reason.

How about a painted pot? The detail in the painting compliments the detail of the bark. You’ll want to be sure the movement/direction of the painting compliments the movement of the tree. Right now I can’t tell if your tree moves right (second trunk) or left (apex).
08436473-1B63-4FAA-ABFC-2AD29EC2CC93.png

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That’s funny you should mention painted because I’ve also been looking at this
The pot you posted is lovely but sadly it’s to small
Yeah, the size is quite a bit smaller than yours, but oddly, not many painted pots are on the usual suspects’ market right now.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’ve got this Sage Brush, Artemisia Tridentata. I’d like to put it in a better pot this spring. My initial though is a highly textured round, either unglazed or a cream color. I was even thinking an earthen, soda or alternative style glaze. The thought would be to echo its native surroundings in the high desert and compliment, the whitish green foliage. It’s also somewhat literati like, though not quite.
so maybe a nanban?
A traditional oval would also be a thought?
Have you ever looked at Vicki Chamberlain's pots? I think she makes some that would look quite good.

Attachments

• 20187598.jpg
    20187598.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20189604.jpg
    20189604.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 25

Chopsie

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi

View attachment 415798

View attachment 415799
I found a little pot in the U.K. cheap, so I decided to get it as it was only £55 delivered.
It’s a Keizan

ABB4AFFE-0011-46F6-9BC4-1E111956190D.jpeg

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Hello Bnuts,

I am planning a repot of this RMJ this spring and I am interested in ideas and feedback on what you would repot this tree into or onto?

This is a photo immediately after styling in march 2021 - the tree has grown a tremendous amount since this point.

FB_IMG_1634605663944.jpg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello Bnuts,

I am planning a repot of this RMJ this spring and I am interested in ideas and feedback on what you would repot this tree into or onto?

This is a photo immediately after styling in march 2021 - the tree has grown a tremendous amount since this point.

View attachment 419665
Would love to see a more recent pic. Hoping to find myself one this spring.

I'm thinking a shallow, long, unglazed oval, off-center so the wind swept branches extend over empty space of the pot.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Because of how far the second (left) trunk leans out away from center, I would be more inclined to go with a deeper round. An oval would never feel right to me as even off center, the tree would still extend out past the pots profile. If that’s the look, accentuate it and real shoot it out there!

a second thought of mine would be a slab of sorts. One with clear direction from right to left. Maybe even one that is slight thicker and some “walls” on the right and flattens out to the left.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Something like this could be cool. Only if it moved in the opposite direction.

Top Bottom