Thoughts on this "good" bonsai?

That Naka quote is used often. But also realize that in his Bonsai Techniques 1 and 2 are very stict definitions of styles, proportions, branch placement, etc. Discussions of good vs faulty trunks, branches, etc.

Also note that like skirt hems, tastes in bonsai change over time. What’s popular now may be passé in 5 years.

You mean all these Japanese Black Pines we are starting for the six year challenge will be passé before we finish?

True but think back 20 years ago, you were a total (I mean zero tolerance) outcast if your bonsai did not conform to one of the classic styles, exactly. Ah, nothing better than row upon row of green helmets. Lovely to see maples and pines styled exactly the same. The truth is that style takes skill but is a cartoonish caricature of real trees. I think Naka's quote began to free people to pursue trees and not broccoli in a pot. It was one of those bells you can't unring... Even though it took a bit to catch on and Walter took heat for a good long time and still does, to be honest.

I like today's environment where appreciating all styles seems in vogue. I think we can revere and learn from the classics and see the art progress as well. That's why I can look at the OP's example and really enjoy it for what it is.
Definitely. The tree in the OP doesn't really do much for me, and I know I'd always be getting caught on that long branch (and I don't even want to think about trying to fit into winter storage). But I'm glad it was posted so we could learn a little more about that style.

Definitely. The tree in the OP doesn't really do much for me, and I know I'd always be getting caught on that long branch (and I don't even want to think about trying to fit into winter storage). But I'm glad it was posted so we could learn a little more about that style.
I don’t care for it either. I just explained it.

There was a Zuisho JWP with a strong arm branch that apparently resisted all attempts to contain it. Rather than staying perfectly horizontal, it developed an upward curve. Which eventually became higher than the main apex! Later, for some unexplained reason, half the strong arm branch died off.

But just think of how many bottles of IPA you'd be able to store on that branch .... a win - win in my book.
You store your IPAs on tree limbs?

I know that after a few too many @Dav4 goes outside and howls like a coyote... maybe he’s hoping a few more will fall off the trees!

I'm happy about any tree I don't have to tote around.

I don’t care for it either. I just explained it.

There was a Zuisho JWP with a strong arm branch that apparently resisted all attempts to contain it. Rather than staying perfectly horizontal, it developed an upward curve. Which eventually became higher than the main apex! Later, for some unexplained reason, half the strong arm branch died off.

Thanks so much for your knowledge! I enjoy it!

Back
Top Bottom