Viable tree to purchase for a beginner?

Stoked to get this cultivar and try layering it :) Just ordered the one pictured post #1
Should be around the end of April when I see it. The slingshot twin trunk is pit near identical
to the one I had before.

Evergreen Garden works will have the Acer shirasawanum 'Shir Autumn Moon',
come Spring 2019 and I plan to get 3 or 4 of them then. I have the regular cultivar
A.s. Autumn Moon growing in ground several years now, and quite the slow grower. Maybe it too will layer.
Though a Full Moon maple, the leaves are smaller than the A.p. I have and much more attractive.
Will probably get his Viridis and A.p. when I order for this May.s-l1600.jpg

5 days later!
You may've missed my last quote on you Smoke post #47.
It got skee hawled around and no matter how many times I fixed the /QUOTE ][
it just went back to the messed up quote within a quote after saving it right.

Your trunk's not green...:D

It used to be before the penicillin!

I saw it.......

Trunk is greener in winter. When trunk dries out it is white like all my other trees. Way too much calcium in my water.

DSC_00031.JPG

It used to be before the penicillin!

I saw it.......

Trunk is greener in winter. When trunk dries out it is white like all my other trees. Way too much calcium in my water.

View attachment 183784
Beautiful Winter profiles. Thanks for sharing.
So is that Shin Zen bonsai garden worth a visit if we get to fly out?

I ordered a couple more maples yesterday. One a 2' Mikawa Yatsubusa seedling.
Not really a favorite of mine, but being a seedling and the size for price, had to try it.
Brent has a couple others I plan to order from cuttings and seedlings. Still, I ordered a
Katsura graft that looked promising...for me.

Think about it. Any thing below the layer is not getting fed by whats above it. Look for the layering 101 thread.
I will look at that thread thanks. I didn't mean at any one given time, that would be silly.
I mean once roots are growing on the new trunk, or branch, why can it only be layered once.
Now I could've misunderstood Mervs video on youtube, and he makes a very small foil pack
for his roots which seems very unsubstantial, but same principle. He says only once...
Now to the layering 101...I'm trying to learn before my poor subjects arrive :oops:.
Pretty sure I simply misunderstood Merv...

Last edited:
I will look at that thread thanks. I didn't mean at any one given time, that would be silly.
I mean once roots are growing on the new trunk, or branch, why can it only be layered once.
Now I could've misunderstood Mervs video on youtube, and he makes a very small foil pack
for his roots which seems very unsubstantial, but same principle. He says only once...
Now to the layering 101...I'm trying to learn before my poor subjects arrive :oops:.
Pretty sure I simply misunderstood Merv...
There is a great thread on layering " Radialdisc ". Also found a product online (Thanks to a fellow nutter) with a built in reservoir on the bottom for moisture and a top lid to maintain humidity. "Rooter Pot".

There is a great thread on layering " Radialdisc ". Also found a product online (Thanks to a fellow nutter) with a built in reservoir on the bottom for moisture and a top lid to maintain humidity. "Rooter Pot".
Yes, I read through Sorces thread yesterday though not titled ...101 and asked him if he'd
tweaked anything since he started that thread.

Reservoir...you talking about the rooter pots? https://www.kinsmangarden.com/product/Large-Rooter-Pots-3/Rooter-Pots
Not sure why they're like $250 ea on amazon. I like that idea. They look quite clean, very neat, but I have to try
basic plastic wrap with black garbage bag sized to it, to shade and heat the roots, pealing garbage bag back
to check clear wrap for roots. Wrapping easier for horizontal branches I suspect, but will give them a try.
Osoyoung has a thread or mentioned in one, about using a cup/lid and screening, adding bonsai soil
to skip the sphagnum moss transition step. Sounds like a great idea for one of those rooter pots, bonsai soil.
You just have to keep it moist...

If you find the thread Victorim mentioned before I do, please holler at me. Thanks Johnny!

@M. Frary no. Come to think of it, I've never seen a Foemina juniper in a nursery of any kind.
May've seen one in a landscape and not know what it was. I may try a procumbens gone wild.
I had to contort it back out of some lattice scrap and not worth bonsai as a plant anymore.
I have never, got a procumbens cutting to take and I've taken a few. Hopefully layering is easier than that.

Yes, I read through Sorces thread yesterday though not titled ...101 and asked him if he'd
tweaked anything since he started that thread.

Reservoir...you talking about the rooter pots? https://www.kinsmangarden.com/product/Large-Rooter-Pots-3/Rooter-Pots
Not sure why they're like $250 ea on amazon. I like that idea. They look quite clean, very neat, but I have to try
basic plastic wrap with black garbage bag sized to it, to shade and heat the roots, pealing garbage bag back
to check clear wrap for roots. Wrapping easier for horizontal branches I suspect, but will give them a try.
Osoyoung has a thread or mentioned in one, about using a cup/lid and screening, adding bonsai soil
to skip the sphagnum moss transition step. Sounds like a great idea for one of those rooter pots, bonsai soil.
You just have to keep it moist...

If you find the thread Victorim mentioned before I do, please holler at me. Thanks Johnny!

@M. Frary no. Come to think of it, I've never seen a Foemina juniper in a nursery of any kind.
May've seen one in a landscape and not know what it was. I may try a procumbens gone wild.
I had to contort it back out of some lattice scrap and not worth bonsai as a plant anymore.
I have never, got a procumbens cutting to take and I've taken a few. Hopefully layering is easier than that.

Sorry it was "the science of". here you go https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/the-science-of-air-layering.27034/ . must have had the grafting 101 in my head.

Sure is.
One of these days I will have an entire tree wired but tend to work areas progressively and move on to the next victim.
Love the bracelet too LanceMac10 very :cool: timing is helpful and obviously not his first time.
Like Osoyoung I like the idea of the bonsai soil in the layer pot.
His original tree is in the exact same type pot my Wilsons Pink was in.
I just found it out back looking for my concave cutters. Glad they weren't found outside lol, but I do use them
on my landscape maples every Spring to clean them out, so was outside with a flashlight 3 times last night looking for them.

Back
Top Bottom