Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
The tree grew well after the initial 'styling' (wiring the primary branches...). In late summer, I detail wired it, pruned a couple of branches, removed older needles etc...
It produced lots of healthy buds, so I figured I could repot it for the first time since its collection. Here's are some pictures of the process:
(No Chimay this time, only coffee)
IMG20220406131535.jpg
- The apex still needs work. Hoping to some more rammification up there.
- The bottom branch comes out of 'the back', from behind the main trunk. Looks a bit awkward, but for now I don't really have a solution to fix this. Maybe I can cover it up if I let the branch above it grow out and then use that branch to hide the bottom branch crossing the trunk.

IMG20220406131702.jpg

IMG20220406133254.jpg
I wasn't sure what the rootball would look like, so I prepared another training pot for this tree. The goal is to plant it on a slab in a couple of years.

IMG20220406134404.jpg
IMG20220406140748.jpg
I didn't have to prune a lot of roots to get a fairly compact and flat rootball. Luckily it has a LOT of fine feeder roots!

IMG20220406140803.jpg
Revealing a couple of surface roots and part of the trunk.

IMG20220406142517.jpg
Made some holes in the rootball and backfilled them with a decent soil mix (akadama, pumice, lava rock, 1:1:3 (or 2))

IMG20220406153910.jpg
The result for now!

When I first bought this tree, I thought it was almost a 'ready-made' bonsai. But the design was actually a bit more challenging! The main trunk subdivides into two very long branches, which are difficult to incorporate in the design. The one in the back was left to grow, but I don't know if I will need it eventually (it's at the same level of the other long bottom branch.)
Then moving further up the trunk, there is another long branch that kind of 'interrupts' the flow of the main trunk line. But removing it, would mean the all of the foliage would be at very top of the tree.

I don't know what the future of this tree will be, but I'm glad with the result after three years!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was wondering if there are guidelines concerning the direction in which bonsai should be styled. Almost all of my slanting style trees move from left to right...
Should not matter. Depends wholly on which side is front and angle of lean chosen for tree.
This could also work as a front, but then I'd have to bend the lowest branch behind the main trunk
WHY🤨? Prominent feature of tree. Should not hide or diminish value.

Destroying small RT branch was huge mistake and considerably devalued tree AFAIC!

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Destroying small RT branch was huge mistake and considerably devalued tree AFAIC!
The small little branchlet on the right? Imo it was growing at a very awkward position relative to the rest of the branches. I can't see how that little branch could've made a difference...
I originally kept it because I could use it to hide the mess of crossing branches. That's it..

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The small little branchlet on the right? Imo it was growing at a very awkward position relative to the rest of the branches. I can't see how that little branch could've made a difference...
I originally kept it because I could use it to hide the mess of crossing branches. That's it..
Was counterbalance to weight of foliage on other side of tree and had individual separate personality from conglomerate no personality foliage mass on other side. Removing other branch you intend just compounds matters. Hiding deadwood was big error in first place. First lesson with Yamadori is use everything you can. This took time to grow in first place and has value if properly respected. You have shown NO respect for this natural creation😖.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you did great on this plant.

First lesson with Yamadori is use everything you can. This took time to grow in first place and has value if properly respected. You have shown NO respect for this natural creation
There are moments when I really wonder whether a person is actually actively doing bonsai. This is one of them.

Top Bottom