A couple projects for Smoke...

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Are you saying neem oil is an "all in one", and that's why you wouldn't use it? I'll have to go to lowes tomorrow and look for a fungus specific "systemic" If that's the case.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Are you saying neem oil is an "all in one", and that's why you wouldn't use it? I'll have to go to lowes tomorrow and look for a fungus specific "systemic" If that's the case.
Careful using oils in the summer. Neem oil is not very effective, IMO, but at its best, it's a dormant-season insecticide that smothers eggs. Oils can damage the waxy coating on leaves, and they can desiccate very quickly without it. Diagnose the exact problem, then determine the specific solution, don't go on a carpet-bombing run.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Nice job with the trees, Joe. Fwiw, I don't see anything on the soil surface worth worrying about. Sometimes, the soil surface of well watered and fed trees get's a bit slimy, perhaps indicating some algae might be setting up shop. Again, nothing to worry about.... you can always scrape it off the surface and replace the soil media if it's bothering you, and maybe back off on the ferts.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well I was expecting to cleanly separate a nice ground layer, but instead found a ballooned, calloused mass. In a good way, though! Kind of a sumo/pancake thing goin here.

Check it! And because @Adair M has been getting onto me I used a shallow oil pan this time.

Before. Note, last year a pot fell and broke the previous apex. Oh well. Should have cut it back anyway.
79D27CD7-857F-48AD-9AF7-5A0BECFF82AD.jpeg

0C97E4DA-03B1-4793-9979-DDE48EA99827.jpeg

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
990A121D-8174-4323-9D2E-0CD24EB351FF.jpeg

I don’t know what happened here, or what I did, but I like it! The trunk is about 1.5” and the nebari is now over 5”.

Attachments

• 667FC69B-267F-479F-848C-A681D5C1406C.jpeg
    667FC69B-267F-479F-848C-A681D5C1406C.jpeg
    341.8 KB · Views: 24
  • DC6992C5-D8AD-4AF5-9EDF-8E20CEDCA814.jpeg
    DC6992C5-D8AD-4AF5-9EDF-8E20CEDCA814.jpeg
    313.8 KB · Views: 24

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Notice how you can see the exact line where the air layer used to be.

I’m thinking I should burry it again this season? Make it even more of a pancake and remove some more bark without the actual intention of roots, rather for more callous?
2348F1A4-945D-4484-B7F1-191B02DEF000.jpeg

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Notice how you can see the exact line where the air layer used to be.

I’m thinking I should burry it again this season? Make it even more of a pancake and remove some more bark without the actual intention of roots, rather for more callous?
View attachment 180211
Do it again! Good idea to use the oil pan. I’m assuming there’s lots of holes.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Do it again! Good idea to use the oil pan. I’m assuming there’s lots of holes.
Yup there’s plenty of holes. You think I should take some more bark off and the whole nine yards or just cover it again?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Two things:

You ought to bare root it to get that old mud out.

And yes, cut the callous to expose the green cambium layer again. If you just cover it over, it will continue to callous over.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Two things:

You ought to bare root it to get that old mud out.

And yes, cut the callous to expose the green cambium layer again. If you just cover it over, it will continue to callous over.
It was indeed bare rooted and washed with a hose after that picture, and that mud is akadama, which, come to find out, doesn’t hold up in my climate.

Is the callous not a good thing in this instance?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It was indeed bare rooted and washed with a hose after that picture, and that mud is akadama, which, come to find out, doesn’t hold up in my climate.

Is the callous not a good thing in this instance?
You don’t want callous. You want roots!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'll routinely rewound the callus on previously layered material to encourage new root growth.
How do you personally go about re wounding the callous? Strip all the bark off like a layer or something else?

Top Bottom