Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Glazed pots out unscathed.
View attachment 466087
View attachment 466088
View attachment 466089
View attachment 466090
I really hadn't paid enough attention to application, but I understand it a lot better now.

Uchibuchi Nakamo oval:
View attachment 466091View attachment 466092
View attachment 466093
View attachment 466094
I love intricately homogenous glazes like that... Your contrast is perfect...

THAT one deserves a name, not a number!!!

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That glaze is gorgeous! What is it?
It's called 'Namako', which translates to sea cucumber, because it looks a bit like them! Similar to floating blue glazes but different.

Long version:

Instead of titanium and cobalt, this version gets the blue colour from Iron interacting with Phosphorous that comes from Pine bark and other ashes. In this case, the blue is slightly less developed.

The Japanese became experts in making the most of what they had during their long period of cultural isolation, 'Sakoku', when many arts became distinctly Japanese.

Because this glaze can be made with simple local materials, the consequence is an expression of a single, local place. A yamadori or seed grown tree in a pot made from materials local to the tree seems like a worthy aim. Still a ways to go yet:)

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's called 'Namako', which translates to sea cucumber, because it looks a bit like them! Similar to floating blue glazes but different.

Long version:

Instead of titanium and cobalt, this version gets the blue colour from Iron interacting with Phosphorous that comes from Pine bark and other ashes. In this case, the blue is slightly less developed.

The Japanese became experts in making the most of what they had during their long period of cultural isolation, 'Sakoku', when many arts became distinctly Japanese.

Because this glaze can be made with simple local materials, the consequence is an expression of a single, local place. A yamadori or seed grown tree in a pot made from materials local to the tree seems like a worthy aim. Still a ways to go yet:)

Jeff, are there any sources/materials that you recommend for Japanese glazing techniques?

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Jeff, are there any sources/materials that you recommend for Japanese glazing techniques?
I keep looking, but nothing definitive. The best book I have is Herbert Sanders World of Japanese Ceramics, you can pick it up secondhand pretty cheap. It's a fascinating read, there are some interesting glaze notes from Kenkichi Tomimoto about how some materials were sourced, and some recipes from Masatarō Onishi, which you need to reformulate for the materials you have. Glazy or Insight software can help with this. Onishi has his own books in Japanese, but I can't read Japanese!

Other than that, Michael Ryan Bells website japanesebonsaipots.net is invaluable, and I've built up a small library of Japanese bonsai pot books, these are absolute gold reference books:

Rie Aketo runs the shop and has been very helpful, he sourced me a secondhand copy of the Bonki Encyclopaedia of Pots as well. The books above have a lot of the same pictures as the Bonki ones, just smaller format. I use google translate on my phone to glean pidgeon bits of info from them.

Ok, I'm blathering on a bit now, and will surely run out of any pretentiousness soon, however:

Aesthetics are important. The more time I think about Japanese aesthetics, the more I understand the pottery: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/japanese-aesthetics/

I will also say that the different pottery regions in Japanese ceramics have their own traditions and recipes, and potters seem to dwell in that, with the finest work coming from mastery and repetition of those traditions. Japanese bonsai potters are steeped in those traditions, but have stretched them out in new ways, with a broader set of materials too. The really good work, to my eye is either at, or was in it's time at that evolving point of tradition, aesthetics, and novelty.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I keep looking, but nothing definitive. The best book I have is Herbert Sanders World of Japanese Ceramics, you can pick it up secondhand pretty cheap. It's a fascinating read, there are some interesting glaze notes from Kenkichi Tomimoto about how some materials were sourced, and some recipes from Masatarō Onishi, which you need to reformulate for the materials you have. Glazy or Insight software can help with this. Onishi has his own books in Japanese, but I can't read Japanese!

Other than that, Michael Ryan Bells website japanesebonsaipots.net is invaluable, and I've built up a small library of Japanese bonsai pot books, these are absolute gold reference books:

Rie Aketo runs the shop and has been very helpful, he sourced me a secondhand copy of the Bonki Encyclopaedia of Pots as well. The books above have a lot of the same pictures as the Bonki ones, just smaller format. I use google translate on my phone to glean pidgeon bits of info from them.

Ok, I'm blathering on a bit now, and will surely run out of any pretentiousness soon, however:

Aesthetics are important. The more time I think about Japanese aesthetics, the more I understand the pottery: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/japanese-aesthetics/

I will also say that the different pottery regions in Japanese ceramics have their own traditions and recipes, and potters seem to dwell in that, with the finest work coming from mastery and repetition of those traditions. Japanese bonsai potters are steeped in those traditions, but have stretched them out in new ways, with a broader set of materials too. The really good work, to my eye is either at, or was in it's time at that evolving point of tradition, aesthetics, and novelty.
Wow, thank you so much for the detailed response! I have saved this post for reference!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Thanks! It's taken me a long time to get it repeatable. There are still a lot directions to explore with it.
This version is kind of similar to Youzans, I think this particular expression comes from a slow firing.View attachment 466106
Youzan - Namako glazed pot

There's a lot of info in the bonki pot encyclopaedias, Kuzumeishozo was an early master that many refer back to:
View attachment 466120
That first one is spectacular, like it's glowing.

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks! No, I messed up, and had to take the grinder to the shelf. It's just a minutes work, but I could have had a very nice pot.
I made these drip trays to go under pots, because sometimes I like to glaze all the way down the feet. But they're no use if you don't use them :)

20230103_122554.jpg

Top Bottom