Best soil for developing trees?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
WRONG! Why do you think so many akadama users get so fired up on this thread? Because many DO dispute its validity in spite of decades of success and puzzlingly seem to want to close the door to even trying it. And believe it or not, premium trees are scarce without the use of akadama. I have given many younger bonsai enthusiasts my soil mix so that they continue in the hobby, and not get frustrated and quit. This being the case in spite of the loss of the Death Star and being a starving post rebellion quadriplegic vet.

I have a question for you: Why do you not post where you are located in your personal identity? I have tried Akadama and I have seen no significant difference from what I use. I also resent your observation that premium trees are scarce without the use of Akadama, to that absurdity I say prove it. Why do I think so many Akadama users get so fired up on this thread? Because there is a cult-like following revolving around the use of this product. That does not mean it is right.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is not what he said. Most are reacting to your post which I quote.

I will dare say that there is NO singular superior mix for all climates. Please tell me/us which one mix that you believe is.

I think its the god stuff?

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What a load of knowledge we have had dropped on us in this thread! I was trying to find the post where someone listed the dry stall dealers in my area to thank the person who posted it, but I cannot find it! Anyway, thanks for that!

You're welcome.

Have WeeTree ship you a box of pre-mixed (Lava, Akadama, Pumice) soil for $39 (which includes shipping). Run your own experiments.

Also, the Bonsai Learning Center in Charlotte got a pallet of Akadama (I'm pretty sure). I know some of your locals have connections with the Charlotte club.

As for Pumice, Southern States dealers can order DryStall.

Decided not to give Akadama a try?

Darth Tanuki

Yamadori
Reaction score
You've made it very apparent that anyone opposing you is WRONG, so perhaps you have more in common with youths than I thought. How bout shipping some of your nectar of the gods down to me while you're handing it out, otherwise I may as well burn my trees based on your logic.

Burn away or buy your own nectar.

Darth Tanuki

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have a question for you: Why do you not post where you are located in your personal identity? I have tried Akadama and I have seen no significant difference from what I use. I also resent your observation that premium trees are scarce without the use of Akadama, to that absurdity I say prove it. Why do I think so many Akadama users get so fired up on this thread? Because there is a cult-like following revolving around the use of this product. That does not mean it is right.

A crowd across the street is not necessarily a cult. They may actually be on to something.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
You're welcome.

Decided not to give Akadama a try?

I was going to say that I was pretty sure you were the one who posted those links, but didn't want to falsely give credit!

Thanks again man!

The lady at the feed and seed looked at me all crazy when I asked for Akadama and Kanuma though. I don't know what her problem was! It is almost like they know nothing about Bonsai!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
A crowd across the street is not necessarily a cult. They may actually be on to something.

All in all we get a lot of talk from you but no evidence that you know what you are talking about. How about posting some pictures of your own work, not something you bought from some master but something you have developed using your magic dirt. You should after all be able to humble all of us with your experienced bonsai development.

Darth Tanuki

Yamadori
Reaction score
Or on something

Dude, I'm like, high on life. But seriously man, do I really have to spell it out for you? Don't you get it? I don't really use that akadama cr@p in my bonsai soil! Are you kidding? The real deal is that if we keep importing akadama, eventually the whole country of Japan will be here right in the good ole US of A! That means sushi restaurants on every corner, more bonsai nurseries, and geishas. Yeah! Geishas dude! The more people that get on board and import Japan a little at a time, the sooner it will all happen! Its already started in the bigger cities. Sushi places popping up all over the place, more bonsai shops than ever before. I'm already starting to see more Japanese people too. But sadly, no geishas yet. Gotta keep trying, gotta keep buying that akadama. Can I count on you man?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dude, I'm like, high on life. But seriously man, do I really have to spell it out for you? Don't you get it? I don't really use that akadama cr@p in my bonsai soil! Are you kidding? The real deal is that if we keep importing akadama, eventually the whole country of Japan will be here right in the good ole US of A! That means sushi restaurants on every corner, more bonsai nurseries, and geishas. Yeah! Geishas dude! The more people that get on board and import Japan a little at a time, the sooner it will all happen! Its already started in the bigger cities. Sushi places popping up all over the place, more bonsai shops than ever before. I'm already starting to see more Japanese people too. But sadly, no geishas yet. Gotta keep trying, gotta keep buying that akadama. Can I count on you man?

Now that is funny! LOL :)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

That's pretty much what I suspected. Post pictures of some trees you are working on. Prove that you know what you are talking about. Mine are posted at the bottom of the page for you to critique and call trash if that's your defense. If you are serious about what you are saying put up some pictures of your work, good bad or seriously crappy just anything that proves your claims about the effectiveness and longevity of your soil mix. A great soil mix won't make you a competent bonsaiist or even a mediocre artist, that does not matter it just proves that you actually have a bonsai or two and not talking out of a hole someone drilled into your head.

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You're right Poink, but don't you find it insulting when someone answers a challenge with what he started out with-----Bull Shit?

I do and the reason I stopped commenting. I think I've said what I have in my mind...numerous times. No need to pound it in any further.

Do not feed the Troll in a way. My comment to his post is to lighten it down a bit (I truly found it funny and creative) and hopefully get back to the original intent...bonsai. :)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is the kind of stuff I was interested in learning when I started the thread- not so much what people use for a Bonsai mix, but what they use for bigger bulk work- bunches of seedlings, cuttings, air layers after they are cut off of the parent tree... I am horribly addicted to propagation and my tree numbers are growing, I simply cannot afford a good loose bonsai mix with all these fancy ingredients for dozens of seedlings, cuttings...

I agree. Budget is the real issue here.

I have about 180 plants in training now...most are big and need 10 quarts of soil each (some twice as much). There is no way I can afford premium substrate for all of them. I also do not think they are worth the premium soil right now...especially since they are growing as good as any I've seen posted here anyways. ;)

Darth Tanuki

Yamadori
Reaction score
I do and the reason I stopped commenting. I think I've said what I have in my mind...numerous times. No need to pound it in any further.

Do not feed the Troll in a way. My comment to his post is to lighten it down a bit (I truly found it funny and creative) and hopefully get back to the original intent...bonsai. :)

My intent exactly - we've said our peace and not going to change minds at this point. I was trying to lighten it up for closure and move on. Vance won't let it go. We have different opinions of who the Troll is.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
My intent exactly - we've said our peace and not going to change minds at this point. I was trying to lighten it up for closure and move on. Vance won't let it go. We have different opinions of who the Troll is.

It's kind of hard to be considered a troll when you have been around her for the best part of twenty years. So now that I have asked you for proof of your bonsai prowess you call me names and try to claim the high ground using words like closure, lighten it up, and different opinions. You want to leave, then do so but I still hold my request: If you are for real, and what you say is for real, show us some of your for real trees. After all; that really is what bonsai is about. You don't just grow bonsai to have them sitting around in your garden you grow them to show them off so other people can enjoy them----if you really have any. Why do you think we have bonsai shows, conventions, and clubs?

Last edited:

Darth Tanuki

Yamadori
Reaction score
It's kind of hard to be considered a troll when you have been around her for the best part of twenty years. So now that I have asked you for proof of your bonsai prowess you call me names and try to claim the high ground using words like closure, lighten it up, and different opinions. You want to leave, then do so but I still hold my request: If you are for real, and what you say is for real, show us some of your for real trees. After all; that really is what bonsai is about. You don't just grow bonsai to have them sitting around in your garden you grow them to show them off so other people can enjoy them----if you really have any. Why do you think we have bonsai shows, conventions, and clubs?

First, you started the name calling. I criticized plants. You criticized people. That sounds like a troll at best. You are asking me to prove what has already been demonstrated. If I show you pictures of my trees in my backyard, you'll just say it works for me in my microclimate. Instead, why don't you check out the trees of some of the people in the US who use akadama in their mix: Ryan Neil and his students throughout the US (Florida Oregon, Texas), Michael Hagedorn and his students throughout the US (Oregon, California, Ohio), Peter Tea and his students throughout the US (california), Boon Manakitivipart and his students throughout the US (CA, WA, OR, FL, NJ, CT, MN, TX, and their student's students.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't forget Kenji Miyata and dozens of teachers in California. There is no need for the sniping and personel name calling.

those that can...will
and...
those that can't or choose not to ....won't

Whatever one chooses is best for them and thats the way it should be. I have no agenda.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
First, you started the name calling. I criticized plants. You criticized people. That sounds like a troll at best. You are asking me to prove what has already been demonstrated. If I show you pictures of my trees in my backyard, you'll just say it works for me in my microclimate. Instead, why don't you check out the trees of some of the people in the US who use akadama in their mix: Ryan Neil and his students throughout the US (Florida Oregon, Texas), Michael Hagedorn and his students throughout the US (Oregon, California, Ohio), Peter Tea and his students throughout the US (california), Boon Manakitivipart and his students throughout the US (CA, WA, OR, FL, NJ, CT, MN, TX, and their student's students.

I didn't call you any names I made fun of your screen name. As to the people you mentioned I have seen some of their trees, and met many. Not one of them has made a big deal out of claiming that a serious bonsai cannot be made without Akadama. As to trees in your back yard, I don't care if it works for you; only that something works for you.

I really don't care who sits back and thanks your for your response. Right now the world is being run by people who think we should run our lives according to what they think. So if everybody on this forum comes to the conclusion that I am nothing more than a curmudgeonly old fool, then so be it. At least I am honest and without some agenda other than bonsai.

Top Bottom