shakotan710

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello everyone!

This maple was won at my local Sacramento bonsai club raffle earlier this year and this was its first styling since it's been in my possession. A fellow member of my local club, Roger Steel, was kind enough to host a workshop and allow me to work on this tree. This tree was found in a landscape nursery a number of years ago and outgrew its pot leading to the 'interesting' nebari that we see here.

VCiy7Uqh.jpg

Much of the rootball was just a tangled, woody mess which means that I still have a lot of work to do before I'm content with it. I was able to cut a portion of the bottom root mass away which allowed me a lower position in the pot and more room for soil. No other root work was performed besides that; there were plenty of fine feeder roots (which should've been photographed). I'll post more of the process when I go at the roots again.

I let the tree grow the entire year with nothing more than minimal leaf pruning during the year to allow light into the lower portions of the tree. The top portion that looks like it's been carved away has been dead and I'll take a look in the next couple weeks (keeping it away from the rain) to seal and find what's still alive. Some branches were wired as a teaching lesson since I'm still trying to get the hang of it. Other branches have been left in order to heal some of the large scars the tree still has.

LKRNk4bh.jpg

Thanks for looking!

shakotan710

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Super rare. You showed this side twice. Are the other views bad or uninteresting?

Never seen a coral trunk this big. Sweet!

Thank you, I don’t think I’ve seen one this large either.

The reason behind showing the same side was as a before and after comparison. The other sides are fairly interesting, but I completely forgot to take more pictures during the workshop.

Once it starts to leaf out I’ll get more angles.

shakotan710

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Spring update - Pinching some new growth. I'm allowing the small first branch on the right to thicken, so all of those buds have been left alone. I'll be placing sphagnum moss when I have some time and continuing to pinch growth once the rest of the buds have been able to burst and begin to extend past the first pair.

Before pinching
fullsizeoutput_6d.jpeg

Detail shots
fullsizeoutput_59.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_5a.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_5c.jpeg

After
fullsizeoutput_70.jpeg

And lastly, a view from the opposite side. The left side from this perspective looks quite empty and I'm hoping I can start filling that out this year.
fullsizeoutput_72.jpeg

D

Deleted member 21616

nice photos and tree!

do you have a shot from a higher angle of the nebari?

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Please keep this thread updated. I really like your tree.
As derek mentioned, some better pictures of that nebari would be nice.

shakotan710

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
nice photos and tree!

do you have a shot from a higher angle of the nebari?
Thanks Derek! I'll get more shots of the nebari once the weather gets better within the next couple days.

Please keep this thread updated. I really like your tree.
As derek mentioned, some better pictures of that nebari would be nice.
Nanuk,

Thanks for the kind words; seasonal updates should be a regular occurrence.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice! You hardly see any Sango-Kaku around specially for bonsai. I'd like to get one myself.

At this point I would start to make some decisons on what you'd like to keep. Otherwise you'll get unsightly swelling if all is left alone to grow. Whatever is left then you can let that grow to heal your scars.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
good potentiol.
ive been scouring the nurseries lately, ive seen quite a few sango kaku about, they must be very popular here as garden trees. nearly bought one the other day but opted for a katsura.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
There is a pretty large one of these out at a nursery here in town. It is about 6-7' tall. I will have to go out and look at the trunk. I have wondered how they would do as a bonsai. Can one take a large on like that and chop the trunk down that low and then get away with pruning the roots back also or what is the best way to do that? Thanks, Peter

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
There is a pretty large one of these out at a nursery here in town. It is about 6-7' tall. I will have to go out and look at the trunk. I have wondered how they would do as a bonsai. Can one take a large on like that and chop the trunk down that low and then get away with pruning the roots back also or what is the best way to do that? Thanks, Peter

Peter if the tree is healthy one should be able to drastically prune it back and work on the roots all in one go. Coral bark from what I have seen look to be quite responsive.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'll go look at it. Sounds like my kinda tree. Thanks for insight! Peter

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice! You hardly see any Sango-Kaku around specially for bonsai. I'd like to get one myself.

Might be regional, they are all over the bay area sold as garden trees. I saw them sold a few times back in the north east, but they inevitably died over the winter in the landscape. All of the corals seem more sensitive to freezing.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
They're a zone 6 I believe. Not sure why the nursery here has some cause we are a zone 5-5A. I wouldn't leave any maples out unprotected anyway.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I went out and looked at them. They have nice sized trunks but they all also have an ugly graft 6" up from the ground...I mean ugly! Guess I could buy one and air layer it in several places. Does anyone know if they air layer well?

Top Bottom