Ginkgo - where to chop?

Reaction score
Sorry if I started something and sorry for asking a lot of random questions - I’m at least trying to keep them focused on Ginkgo.

kmt9oUuXOdLJGEW.jpg

I came across this - this is I guess the back side of a Ginkgo in progress. My understanding is that Ginkgos are very slow to heal from cuts and chops. Does anyone have insight into how will this carving age? I’m curious if this would be a project worth taking on.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Bonsai Bark is a reputable site. Just hard pruning can cause dieback. Food for thought.

My take, Ginkgo doesn't heal well...nor do we really see carving on ginkgo. 🤔 Would think that tells something in and of itself.

Someone butchered that tree... wonder how much dieback will stem from that work.

Reaction score
I think that is pea gravel. I ended up buying it because I thought the price was worth the gamble. And because I can’t help myself sometimes. Should arrive on Monday.

So that’ll give me three ginkgos. If I can get one of them looking remotely like yours or Brian’s (if you squint), I’ll consider that a success.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think that is pea gravel. I ended up buying it because I thought the price was worth the gamble. And because I can’t help myself sometimes. Should arrive on Monday.

So that’ll give me three ginkgos. If I can get one of them looking remotely like yours or Brian’s (if you squint), I’ll consider that a success.
I hope you don't get significant dieback from what they did. Especially with the deadwood doesn't look like it had been dead, but created. At least it's a price you are willing to gamble on. Will be interesting to see how it handles it. From what I've read and know about the species.

@Brian Van Fleet ever know anyone to be so dramatic with work on a ginkgo?
20210403_133620.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
They can take a lot, but whether it will look good is another question. Lots of dead wood on a ginkgo isn’t to my taste, and the soft wood can rot.
Well, good to know they can take a lot. I know the above link talked about dieback. I've heard of rot before though.

Will be interesting to follow this one that was worked so hard. At least for myself.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can, once you let this age for a bit, impregnate this deadwood with a transparant wood hardener.

Reaction score
It's supposed to arrive today. It was shipped on 4/1, but it got stuck at the Philadelphia central post office for like a week and I couldn't do anything about it. I'm hoping it will be okay. Will post once it arrives.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's supposed to arrive today. It was shipped on 4/1, but it got stuck at the Philadelphia central post office for like a week and I couldn't do anything about it. I'm hoping it will be okay. Will post once it arrives.
Did he place insurance on the package? Just in case...

Has the package stated departed from Philadelphia? Dealing with delays...I was told unless there is a note arrival or departure. It hasn't moved. Hope it arrives soon.

Reaction score
Just arrived. Looked thirsty but still alive as far as I can tell.

That’s definitely pea gravel on top. Unfortunately it looks like potting soil underneath. Should I leave it alone and repot next spring or can I do it sooner?

o8T3xhM6G5YHDRP.jpg

rsZRLKf2W5yTwot.jpg

hfimcCQ28gYIR1A.jpg

ciYfSOP6ZzI83Vv.jpg

Im9JGTR4OWbZhSV.jpg

OX4UYqHGVu3CMjD.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Just arrived. Looked thirsty but still alive as far as I can tell.

That’s definitely pea gravel on top. Unfortunately it looks like potting soil underneath. Should I leave it alone and repot next spring or can I do it sooner?

o8T3xhM6G5YHDRP.jpg

rsZRLKf2W5yTwot.jpg

hfimcCQ28gYIR1A.jpg

ciYfSOP6ZzI83Vv.jpg

Im9JGTR4OWbZhSV.jpg

OX4UYqHGVu3CMjD.jpg
No more beer for me, the pictures look sideways!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just water accordingly. You have no idea if that came as a cutting. I wouldn't mess with it...seller is known for selling cuttings, verses established trees. My own olive came from him. One here got an olive and went to repot to find no roots. Not a huge thing...they take as cuttings...as do ginkgo. Surely he didn't do all that work and it's a cutting. But...I pause...just because of what he's known to sell. You disturb that...and it's a cutting... you could set it back.

You could ask the seller if it has established roots...but typically we don't repot once leaf opens up.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
.seller is known for selling cuttings, verses established trees. My own olive came from him. One here got an olive and went to repot to find no roots. Not a huge thing...they take as cuttings
hm.. I do hope the seller actually informs interested persons that he is selling a cutting?

Interesting bit of tree you have there. I only have 1 ginko and it is young so, do not fly by my thoughts. I would want this to go in my substrate as soon as possible. It being early spring, I would have no qualms about repotting. Then again, I do mess up sometimes (Repotted a big trident in leaf and it protested, now hanging on to 10 leaves and the rest crisped)

Top Bottom