Help... what are these and what should I do?

darla333

Seed
Reaction score
I found these bugs running around on my bonsai today. What are they and what do I do about them? Please help.

Attachments

• 20240301_122316.jpg
    20240301_122316.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 20240301_122313.jpg
    20240301_122313.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 20240301_122311.jpg
    20240301_122311.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 20240301_122249.jpg
    20240301_122249.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 20240301_122309.jpg
    20240301_122309.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 85

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Pics are not quite clear but my guess is aphids though more usually on branches and leaves rather than pots and potting mix. Aphids also move quite slowly so 'running' is not a term I'd use to describe them moving.
Are they on the trunk and branches or only on the pot and potting mix?
Try to count legs - 6 legs = insect. 8 legs = spider or mite.

Aphids are sap suckers and can rapidly breed up and suck enough sap to reduce growth and health of the tree. Treatment can be by squashing each individual or spray with an insecticide. Check pack to make sure it lists aphids though most insecticides, including low toxicity pyrethrum and soap sprays, will treat soft bodied aphids.

There's a number of other possibilities but without further it's hard to be definitive.
Your location could provide some valuable clues to us as well because many areas have a different suite of bugs.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They look like tiny ants to me.
I don't see the little projections aphids have on the end of their abdomen and there is clearly 3 segments to the body and long legs and antennae

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
They look like tiny ants to me.
Ants was my first impression. They look like termites but I could not work out what termites are doing in a bonsai pot????
Location may give some clues as to possible species.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ants was my first impression. They look like termites but I could not work out what termites are doing in a bonsai pot????
Location may give some clues as to possible species.
Yea I thought of termites as well but the body shape isn't quite right and the mandiblesare shorter than termites.
If they are, they for sure are not up to anything good.

In the 4th picture you can see the mandibles on the front of one or two of them and one of them is carrying something, possibly an egg.

I still think they are ants

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
In the 4th picture you can see the mandibles on the front of one or two of them and one of them is carrying something, possibly an egg.
Well spotted. I didn't look that close before.
I agree with your ants ID but haven't seen that pale colour before. Obviously different species in different parts of the world which is why a location can help with ID for both insects and plants.

These may just be passing through and using the pot as a convenient pathway to a new home. Need to observe to work out if they are traveling or staying.

Ants are generally not good companions. They dig tunnels in the soil and can make it difficult for roots to develop properly. They also seem to make soil around the nests hydrophobic so watering becomes more difficult. Ants also 'farm' pests like scale and aphids.

Ants can be difficult to get rid of. It is possible to drown them by submerging the entire pot in water but it needs to be fully submerged for more than 24 hours as the ants will have air pockets in their tunnels.
A fairly strong insecticide is required to kill most ant species. Look for something that specifies ants on the label.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well spotted. I didn't look that close before.
I agree with your ants ID but haven't seen that pale colour before. Obviously different species in different parts of the world which is why a location can help with ID for both insects and plants.

These may just be passing through and using the pot as a convenient pathway to a new home. Need to observe to work out if they are traveling or staying.

Ants are generally not good companions. They dig tunnels in the soil and can make it difficult for roots to develop properly. They also seem to make soil around the nests hydrophobic so watering becomes more difficult. Ants also 'farm' pests like scale and aphids.

Ants can be difficult to get rid of. It is possible to drown them by submerging the entire pot in water but it needs to be fully submerged for more than 24 hours as the ants will have air pockets in their tunnels.
A fairly strong insecticide is required to kill most ant species. Look for something that specifies ants on the label.

Indeed, there are around 12,000 species of ants in the world. There are at least 3 different species where I live that I can think of off the top of my head.
I think they might be using the pot as a nest and I agree they should be dealt with.
Perhaps some ant traps placed on or around the pot would help instead of soaking the pot in insecticide.
See how it goes. If they arent gone in a week then take more drastic measures.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seems associated with the wood chips.

Sorce

Top Bottom