Identifying a pine

Storm87

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi all,

I bought a pine from a local nursery, however the label said just 'pine'.
Anyone got an idea what kind of pine this is exactly.

It's a two needle pine.
Maybe the visible cone can provide the necessary info?

And while we at it; any ideas for a design?

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
judging by the needles AND your location I think Scots pine (pinus sylvestris) is a good starting point. The cones match too, far as I can tell

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
the buds are covered in resin..... almost makes me want to suggest Jack pine (pinus banksiana) as a second possibility. They are native to Northern North America, but Walter Pall says they are planted throughout Europe too. The cones on Jack are very similar to scots, but profuse. It's definitely one of the two

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey! It's me again. My final answer is Jack pine. the buds don't match scots and the needles are exactly like my Jack pine. 99% sure

Storm87

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey! It's me again. My final answer is Jack pine. the buds don't match scots and the needles are exactly like my Jack pine. 99% sure
Thx al lot! I guess I'll start doing some research then. Never heard of this kind.

Reactions: GGB

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Storm87 Walter Pall has some good stuff on his website, and there is a thread called "getting jacked" just for us Jack-Piners. They are supposed to be pretty fickle about root work so ask for act. Sorry I didn't link the thread I'm a computer idiot and everytime I try to get tricky on here it doesn't work anyway

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Where did you get it? I want a few too!
I have some European sourced Banksiana seedlings but having an older specimen would be fun too.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some sort of jack.
The little cone looking things give it away.
It looks to be grafted onto some other type of rootstock.
The cultivar is probably skoodic or Uncle Fogey.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think you mean 'Zoals een grove den'......
Ik spreek een sterk dialect, zodat je misschien niet de helft begrijpt van wat ik schrijf. Maar dat is een goede boom om mee te werken.

@Walter Pall weet het beter dan ik, omdat hij ook in Europa is. De bladeren lijken op Pinus Banksiana.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
There seems to be a European grower - somewhere - that sells these to nurseries and garden centers. I found a pretty large jack pine in Germany. Too bad it was a hundred bucks above my budget.
It seems that they are in fact available to the public in very, very limited amounts, a rare find.

I found a seller that's selling a lot of cultivars, but he has told me those are all grafted banksiana cultivars, which are grafted on regular banksiana. "Want anders wordt het niets". The ones (non-cultivars) in the garden centers don't seem grafted, but they're very hard to find and darn expensive. It seems you made a nice score with this one Storm87!

I'm resuming the hunt in spring.

Storm87

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It seems you made a nice score with this one Storm87!
Thanks! Now you say that I regret not buying one more :(

For now I plan pot it this spring and let it settle and wont do any work on it.
Next fall I'll start wiring it to, a not yet decided design, although looking at the existing structure a semi cascade would be most obvious.

Top Bottom