Jacqueline Hillier Elm Dark Leaves falling off

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
This problem is across all branches, but is only occurring to about 30 percent of the overall leaves, all of which are towards the interior of the branch.

Overal, your tree seems healthy. Losing old leaves inside the canopy could just be the natutal evolution of a branch.

Trimming new shoots at the right time to have it ramify and to avoid that kind of "fishbone" design of a branch might perhaps be the best cure...

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I am going to emergency repot this guy today. Over the week, this condition has only gotten worse. the tree now only has 15-20 percent of it's leaves left, with the problem on all branches spreading from the trunk out. I am pretty sure this is Phytophora, which really sucks because it's to the point I am almost certainly going to lose the little guy.

What soil proportions do you guys recommend? I was thinking either all pumice to increase aeration until next year, when hopefully the tree responds well. Is pumice better right now, or would you guys still recommend Boon's mix?

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I repotted today! Didnt have a choice with the tree in the condition it was in. I used a basic mix but used 50 percent pumics 25 percent akadama and 25 percent lava. I wish i got a pic but i was so nervous and wuickly working i forgot.

The problem was not fungal, at least i dont think. There was no abnormal smell, roots when cut were not black or red inside, and the tree had a large amount of roots.

The problem was that the tree was so severely root bound the pot was mothing but large roots wrappig around the entire pot. I almost couldnt get it out of the pot there were so many. The issue was that the root bound tree had wrapped so severely and densely around the pot, the interior roots just below the shin (sheen), had almost no soil in them. There were only a few left actually. I removed all potentially affected tissue there and trimmed the wrapping roots just enough to spread them and get them in the pot.

I added some rooting hormone for good measure and potted it in a mew pot to be safe. Only time will tell. Ill let yall know if it makes it

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
@sorce I was scared to repot it. I should have done it earlier. It was so insanely root bound I couldn't believe it. It was odd though because the shin had nearly no roots below it. I think the rest of the roots were holding water in the middle of the pot and causing the shin's roots to dieback. The soil I have it in now is so fast draining I will probably have to water almost twice a day.

How long does it take before that nervousness when doing work on a tree goes away? Or does it ever? Sometimes I find myself nearly trembling I am trying to be so careful. I have often wondered if everyone goes through this or if it is just me.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I repotted today! Didnt have a choice with the tree in the condition it was in. I used a basic mix but used 50 percent pumics 25 percent akadama and 25 percent lava. I wish i got a pic but i was so nervous and wuickly working i forgot.

The problem was not fungal, at least i dont think. There was no abnormal smell, roots when cut were not black or red inside, and the tree had a large amount of roots.

The problem was that the tree was so severely root bound the pot was mothing but large roots wrappig around the entire pot. I almost couldnt get it out of the pot there were so many. The issue was that the root bound tree had wrapped so severely and densely around the pot, the interior roots just below the shin (sheen), had almost no soil in them. There were only a few left actually. I removed all potentially affected tissue there and trimmed the wrapping roots just enough to spread them and get them in the pot.

I added some rooting hormone for good measure and potted it in a mew pot to be safe. Only time will tell. Ill let yall know if it makes it
Prepare yourself for the worst. Repotting this late on a weak tree with fall and winter on the way isn't the greatest thing. Spring will tell...

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
@rockm I know. I didn't want to, but the tree was progressing rapdily towards death. You suggested lifting it, and I almost couldn't get it out of the pot with the way it was root-bound. I have it in full shade and am misting it twice a day to ensure the least heat stress possible. Luckily, were barely getting to 80 in the next few weeks. had it been hotter I would have never done this. But with that low heat and high humidity I figured it was better to find and fix the problem if I could. 25 dollar tree at the end of the day, but I want it to live.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
nervousness when doing work on a tree goes away?

I repot in the shade, in the rain if possible...

@Brian Van Fleet talked some about taking your time with the roots out of pot\soil...
We have more time than it seems!

This is the first year I put anything in a bonsai pot with tie wire...
I was nervous...

But I kept thinking about how it will be better to have the tree tied securely over two or three years...

Than to worry about very healthy roots dying.

I posted some near jinned Mugo roots on the train....
Those have roots still alive on the bottom I swear...
But I have to look.

I watch roots outside the baskets all the time...

Takes em a long time to shrivel up.

My humidity is 80plus.

Repot after a rain.

Sorce

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I repot in the shade, in the rain if possible...

@Brian Van Fleet talked some about taking your time with the roots out of pot\soil...
We have more time than it seems!

This is the first year I put anything in a bonsai pot with tie wire...
I was nervous...

But I kept thinking about how it will be better to have the tree tied securely over two or three years...

Than to worry about very healthy roots dying.

I posted some near jinned Mugo roots on the train....
Those have roots still alive on the bottom I swear...
But I have to look.

I watch roots outside the baskets all the time...

Takes em a long time to shrivel up.

My humidity is 80plus.

Repot after a rain.

Sorce

Being new to bonsai, less than a year but heading close to that anniversary, any time I touch a tree those nerves are present. I have only had one calm session where there wasn't that nervousness present. We are going to be between 40 and 60 percent in the next few weeks. Not ideal. But the highest high is 82 degrees for the next two weeks. I'll have it in the shade and very lightly mist. I am hoping this little guy can recover. I changed the potitng angle a bit (by accident, I admit). I like it the new way though. A slight angle got rid of the horizontal lines. Serendipity I guess.

As to the jinned roots. I have seen that in photos. But I think the photos I have seen have roots where the top is jinned and the bottom is still alive. It's a pretty cool looking phenomenon. BTW, we live relatively near each other. LOL. I am near Orland Park. So, our weather is pretty close. Weirdest summer I have ever seen.

Top Bottom