Juniperus Procumbens Nana Help Identifying an issue

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
uninsulated, semi-heated garage with a small oscillating fan for minor air flow...it stays about 30 degrees fahrenheit throughout the winter.
I'm jealous...
To update your profile to include your grow zone
Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 9.31.33 PM.png
Click here on your avatar icon/account details/ and scroll down to USDA grow zone and enter your detail and save.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Go for something a little more random than an S curve or a spiral.
This is what I had in mind for a spiraled trunk.
Trying to get a pot commissioned for it. Been in this can since before I got it from NEB 11 yrs ago.
I was eluding to a corkscrew like trunk.

P41NB0W

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
View attachment 256781
This is what I had in mind for a spiraled trunk.
Trying to get a pot commissioned for it. Been in this can since before I got it from NEB 11 yrs ago.
I was eluding to a corkscrew like trunk.
Beatiful tree Japonicus! Now I have a better understanding of what you meant! Thank you!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Beatiful tree Japonicus! Now I have a better understanding of what you meant! Thank you!
Thank you P41NBOW (what is short for that screen name?).
The foliage needs reducing by maybe 50%, however I'd planned on repotting it this or next month.
Not having the pot commissioned yet, I'll probably reduce the foliage by 30% and wire feeding really well next 2 months,
proactively, to store some energy for a Spring repot, and hack the roots more heavily then.
I could, not reduce, and work the roots some now, but not near as extensively as I would in the Spring personally,
and use a pot I know I'll not be using long term.

EDIT: ...but you get what I'm saying about using what upper growth you have now, to twist up
causing a lack of taper in the trunk should you continue to use what is young and tender now.
Whereas is you reduce the top to where I showed, it creates movement and taper both, just feed and water 2 years
for the most part.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sorry, I archived that photo from before it pushed new Spring growth (winter clothes still on).
This is now
DSC_3471.JPG
It has never been repotted since before I got it in 2008. I've excavated some of the old soil once or twice
and refreshed, but never repotted :eek: so I haven't a clue what the roots will require of a new pots depth.
Could not have gotten away with that in a bonsai pot really.

P41NB0W

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Thank you P41NBOW (what is short for that screen name?).
The foliage needs reducing by maybe 50%, however I'd planned on repotting it this or next month.
Not having the pot commissioned yet, I'll probably reduce the foliage by 30% and wire feeding really well next 2 months,
proactively, to store some energy for a Spring repot, and hack the roots more heavily then.
I could, not reduce, and work the roots some now, but not near as extensively as I would in the Spring personally,
and use a pot I know I'll not be using long term.

EDIT: ...but you get what I'm saying about using what upper growth you have now, to twist up
causing a lack of taper in the trunk should you continue to use what is young and tender now.
Whereas is you reduce the top to where I showed, it creates movement and taper both, just feed and water 2 years
for the most part.
Nice! That's a solid plan! I look forward to seeing pics of the progress next spring! Yea I get it, I'm definitely going to follow your advice! Will be super cool to see what I can accomplish with this little juniper with the right techniques. Thanks Japonicus!

P41NB0W

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Sorry, I archived that photo from before it pushed new Spring growth (winter clothes still on).
This is now
View attachment 256828
It has never been repotted since before I got it in 2008. I've excavated some of the old soil once or twice
and refreshed, but never repotted :eek: so I haven't a clue what the roots will require of a new pots depth.
Could not have gotten away with that in a bonsai pot really.
Wow! Just wow! You have a beautiful collection! That is seriously like my dream collection! Things to look forward to in the future. My only regret is not getting into the world of bonsai sooner. Absolutely stunning my friend!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wow! Just wow! You have a beautiful collection! That is seriously like my dream collection! Things to look forward to in the future. My only regret is not getting into the world of bonsai sooner. Absolutely stunning my friend!
Thanks but it’s only mediocre and a small snapshot of my collection of projects.
You’re in a good location to do Mugo pines I think, rummage through the local nurseries
for a few with potential, then again in the Springtime for new arrivals.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
uninsulated, semi-heated garage with a small oscillating fan for minor air flow. If I put my trees on the shelves I have close to the outer wall and next to the door it stays about 30 degrees
I'm jealous

Is there a thermometer in there?

Just be wary.

Since most humans are on scheduled and that schedule could make it seem like a regular 30 degrees when it may not be.

Sure ain't of the big door goes up on a -30 day. Of course, we are also gone in the warm vehicle by then.
Speaking of vehicles ...and polution...

I am just highly Anti - garage.

It might work for this Mediterranean subtropical ish juniper thing.
(Which is really just a giant PITA.)

Local material is best and can be left out on the ground.

Sorce

P41NB0W

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Is there a thermometer in there?

Just be wary.

Since most humans are on scheduled and that schedule could make it seem like a regular 30 degrees when it may not be.

Sure ain't of the big door goes up on a -30 day. Of course, we are also gone in the warm vehicle by then.
Speaking of vehicles ...and polution...

I am just highly Anti - garage.

It might work for this Mediterranean subtropical ish juniper thing.
(Which is really just a giant PITA.)

Local material is best and can be left out on the ground.

Sorce
Sorce,

Yes I will put a thermometer in there. Garage is too full of shit to have any cars in there LOL. You make a good point. I also have an unisulated 3 season porch that would provide adequate protection from the wind, but it still gets quite cold in there. I suppose I could get one of those thermostats that you can plug a space heater in to to keep it at a constant temperature. Perhaps that would be a better option. Juniperus procumbens is supposedly hardy in zone 4 which is where I am so I suppose I could just heal them in or something too. My only worry is that sometimes it can get down to -40 degrees Fahrenheit with wind chill where I'm at, that seems way to harsh to me.

Thanks,
P41NB0W

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
-40 degrees Fahrenheit with wind chill where I'm at, that seems way to harsh to me

Not trying to "attack" you...
It's just...

I have a thing against "seems like".

"Seems" only means there is room for investigation to find out the "ACTUAL".

I promote doing the investigation.
Especially when it comes to human feelings vs. tree's actual.
This is where "loving to death" stems from.

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorce,

Yes I will put a thermometer in there. Garage is too full of shit to have any cars in there LOL. You make a good point. I also have an unisulated 3 season porch that would provide adequate protection from the wind, but it still gets quite cold in there. I suppose I could get one of those thermostats that you can plug a space heater in to to keep it at a constant temperature. Perhaps that would be a better option. Juniperus procumbens is supposedly hardy in zone 4 which is where I am so I suppose I could just heal them in or something too. My only worry is that sometimes it can get down to -40 degrees Fahrenheit with wind chill where I'm at, that seems way to harsh to me.

Thanks,
P41NB0W
My trees have seen lows down to 37 below zero.
3 years,4 years ago?
They regularly get down past 20 degrees below zero every year.
My winters are as harsh as yours.
Those trees stay outside year round.
In fact I dont ever worry about cold killing trees.
V.C. yes but not the cold.
I have shimpaku and procumbens junipers.
Mugo,Scots and Jack pines.
Siberian elms,hawthorne's and now a brute of an Amur maple I just got yesterday.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@M.Frary what is/are V.C.? Voles?

I think the biggest concern with being “anti garage” is air exchange
and of course transpiration which snow and ice naturally adjust for.
Perhaps the juniper was potted recently this year. In which case
would an uninsulated garage kept near freezing be good for say 3 months
with a close eye this year? I wish I had such an environment for air layered maples and
recent repots and pots I might be concerned with freeze damage.

P41NB0W

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
My trees have seen lows down to 37 below zero.
3 years,4 years ago?
They regularly get down past 20 degrees below zero every year.
My winters are as harsh as yours.
Those trees stay outside year round.
In fact I dont ever worry about cold killing trees.
V.C. yes but not the cold.
I have shimpaku and procumbens junipers.
Mugo,Scots and Jack pines.
Siberian elms,hawthorne's and now a brute of an Amur maple I just got yesterday.
M. Frary,

Awesome that is good to know! Thank you! What is V.C. though?

Thank you,

P41NB0W

P41NB0W

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Not trying to "attack" you...
It's just...

I have a thing against "seems like".

"Seems" only means there is room for investigation to find out the "ACTUAL".

I promote doing the investigation.
Especially when it comes to human feelings vs. tree's actual.
This is where "loving to death" stems from.

Sorce
Sorce,

Don't worry, I'm not feeling attacked haha. You make a good point. I will have to do some more reading and apply what I learn and just go from there.

Thanks,

P41NB0W

P.S. - Just saw some threads about the pots that you make! Nice work!

Top Bottom